Mick C.   07-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Here's what we did last night: I bought a cheap "Cricket" LED projector at Target for $60 on sale last year. You can hook it up to a TV, DVD player, or video game and It projects a HUGE image, so I set it up in the back yard behind our swimming pool by clamping it onto my bike work stand, plugged it into a DVD player and covered the whole thing with garbage bags so it didn't get splashed (and ran the extension cord the long way around so it couldn't get wet and electrocute us all). After the sun set, the kids all got in the pool on inner tubes and got to watch a semi-drive-in movie as I projected a Bugs Bunny cartoon ("The Bunny of Seville"), followed by "The Creature From the Black Lagoon", which my kids had never seen before, across the whole 2-story side of the house in front of the pool. They loved it, and are still talking about it today. And my eldest son is just old enough now to appreciate Julie Adams in a white bathing suit.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
cobalt   07-30-2009, 11:33 PM
That's a neat idea!

EWMAN
Aprilis   07-31-2009, 01:00 AM
Sounds nice.
How was the picture quality?
did u have to hook up speakers too?

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
Mick C.   07-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Aprilis Wrote:Sounds nice.
How was the picture quality?
did u have to hook up speakers too?

The picture quality was surprisingly good...not projection TV quality, but about like a 16mm film projector - despite using a white stucco house for the screen, it looked real good. I couldn't get over how big the projection area was. The projector had a built-in speaker, but I hooked up a couple of spare computer speakers to it and it was fine.

It was 115 degrees that day, so it was a fun way to end the day. The cooler of Coronas at poolside for me and the missus was good too.

I learned something new today when I looked up the film on imdb.com - Ingmar Bergman watched this film every year on his birthday.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Mick C.   08-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Last night's show: "Gee Whiz-z-z" cartoon with the Roadrunner and Wile E, and "Way Out West" with Laurel and Hardy. I drank a lot of Fat Tire under the clear desert sky while floating in the water. I could get used to this.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
t4terrific   08-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Mick C. Wrote:Here's what we did last night: I bought a cheap "Cricket" LED projector at Target for $60 on sale last year. You can hook it up to a TV, DVD player, or video game and It projects a HUGE image, so I set it up in the back yard behind our swimming pool by clamping it onto my bike work stand, plugged it into a DVD player and covered the whole thing with garbage bags so it didn't get splashed (and ran the extension cord the long way around so it couldn't get wet and electrocute us all). After the sun set, the kids all got in the pool on inner tubes and got to watch a semi-drive-in movie as I projected a Bugs Bunny cartoon ("The Bunny of Seville"), followed by "The Creature From the Black Lagoon", which my kids had never seen before, across the whole 2-story side of the house in front of the pool. They loved it, and are still talking about it today. And my eldest son is just old enough now to appreciate Julie Adams in a white bathing suit.

I'm going to do this. No pool, but plenty of outdoor seating, and wall space.
RichE   08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Mick C. Wrote:Here's what we did last night: I bought a cheap "Cricket" LED projector at Target for $60 on sale last year. You can hook it up to a TV, DVD player, or video game and It projects a HUGE image, so I set it up in the back yard behind our swimming pool by clamping it onto my bike work stand, plugged it into a DVD player and covered the whole thing with garbage bags so it didn't get splashed (and ran the extension cord the long way around so it couldn't get wet and electrocute us all). After the sun set, the kids all got in the pool on inner tubes and got to watch a semi-drive-in movie as I projected a Bugs Bunny cartoon ("The Bunny of Seville"), followed by "The Creature From the Black Lagoon", which my kids had never seen before, across the whole 2-story side of the house in front of the pool. They loved it, and are still talking about it today. And my eldest son is just old enough now to appreciate Julie Adams in a white bathing suit.

WONDERFUL!!!!
I'm getting involved here at our community and getting ready for Drive-IN Night. I'm thinking of some of those great AIP films like "Teenage Werewolf"!! They are going to be projected on a big screen outside at out community center.
Scott Miller   08-15-2009, 11:34 AM

At some point you should watch Jaws while floating in the pool. They used to show it in the pool at the university I attended and it was a good time.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels