saynomore   07-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Ignore the controversy surrounding this film and go see it--if you have a few bucks and a few hours to kill. Very creepy and definitely not for kids. In short, a married couple with two young children adopt an intelligent young girl of 9 as a surrogate replacement for the daughter who died just before birth. What ensues is a cat and mouse game where the young adoptee terrorizes the kids and frames the mother. The husband is an idiot throughout and sides with the adoptee in every instance, believing his wife is still be getting over the death of their daughter. But the wife's investigation of the young girl reveals a secret that I didn't even see coming (and I watch a lot of Law and Order). More scary than gory (although the gore is good--always good when not overblown), Orphan delivers a great tale that'll make you want to watch it again. If there is extra footage in the dvd, I'll be adding this to my collection.

AC
dezboi   07-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Saw this on Friday. While certainly not a favorite, I thought the acting of the two female leads -- Vera Farmiga and Isabelle Fuhrman (who play the mom and the title character) -- was well done.

The plot twist was pretty good too, though the ending was drawn out excessively This is not to say I was anxious for the film to end (I wasn't sitting there wondering if the movie was over yet), but it just kept on going.

"Many men, perhaps even most, are unhappy in their souls. We burn so hard, but we shed so little light; it makes us crazy and sad." - Clive Barker Galilee
Srem   08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I liked it.

[SIZE=4]§ґφ[/SIZE]җ

Witchbreed Book of Dreams
Kenji   03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
This evening I saw Orphan on DVD. Japanese title is "Esther".

This is really scary! Seems "The Bad Seed" meet "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle". So I say Patty McCormack meet Rebecca De Mornay. But Isabelle Fuhrman was awesome. I can't believe that she was 12.