Pages (2):    1 2
t4terrific   04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:The best example would be in Conspiracies. It made for a great suspenseful scene though.

The original version of Conspiracies hadn't addressed the issue. I believe it was later revised, adding the problem, and it's solution.
Alvin Fox   04-24-2009, 04:21 AM
t4terrific Wrote:The original version of Conspiracies hadn't addressed the issue. I believe it was later revised, adding the problem, and it's solution.

I had to check that out. I have a Gauntlet edition and a paperback and sure enough the scenes were different. However, I do like the revised scene better. Everything seemed to flow much more nicely because Jack only had one hand to use.
Turanthor   05-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Dan- I know he is generally perceived poorly, but I really feel that Timothy Dalton was a good representation of the "book Bond". They essentially followed the Living Daylights storyline exactly to start the movie, and just his general demeanor was more similar to the book than others.

Plus, License to Kill has one of the best continuous action scenes of any of the movies I feel. When he stows away on the boat, kills the guy who killed his friend as he is leaving the boat, cuts up their coke underwater, then steals their plane full of money! classic

But I really felt Dalton, who is a classically trained actor, attempted to find a medium between the book Bond and the cinema Bond. He was the first one who felt to me as if he had read Bond. I loved Connery, but he was Connery! as much as Bond in many ways.

Richard Maibaum deserves a lot of credit for making many of the early Bond movies as good as they are. He wrote most of the first dozen, and he was good at incorporating elements of the books and putting them in the films, even if out of place.

Fleming's lack of political "correctness" is one of the things I love about the books actually. It is refreshing to read books from an era when someone is not stepping over themselves to be accomodating. It is so much more authentic to inhabit a character like Bond, because it gives you insight into the mindset and attitude of a very civilized and upper crust Brit. Someone who clearly felt England was glorious and great, and who celebrated the various finery of Western Civilization. I just love that celebration of the West you find in books (a lot more) prior to the 60's.
Pages (2):    1 2