Dervish   03-01-2009, 07:42 AM
I saw this movie a few days ago and saw it again less than 48 hours later (which is almost unprecedented for me). And now I'm thinking of seeing it yet again.

I'm aware that I have weird tastes, and I believe that some of the teasing metaphors and possibilities (and that I'm a Gaiman fan) no doubt play a part (as does the lessons I learned to beware those who bear gifts seemingly without reason), but if anyone thinks they might like this movie (and it's a good one to take many kids to, IMO), I'd like to suggest you see it on the big screen first for this reason:

http://www.cinemaverdict.com/2009/02/11/...-coraline/

Quote:Selick is the man responsible for doing most of the hard work on stop-motion films such as The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. Most people are quick to give credit to Tim Burton for those films (and Burton’s artistic style certainly defines both), but Selick is the real genius who makes the stop-motion animation process so gorgeous.

I don’t mean to insult Burton when I say I’m glad Selick was able to break away and make Coraline. The tidy dollhouse feeling that permeates most Burton films is swept away here, replaced by a gloriously designed yet very unstable and unpredictable dimension that will fascinate viewers young and old. The stop-motion animation is genuinely jaw-dropping, particularly during a circus performance by some very talented mice. Selick’s visuals breathe vibrant life into Gaiman’s gloriously twisted take on The Chronicles of Narnia, creating a film that manages to be both energetic and eerie

And the 1st time I saw it was from the back, and the 2nd time was almost at the very front. The 2nd was more amazing for visuals, so it made a difference for me sitting closer. I doubt the effect can be recreated on most TV or computer screens. So if you think you might like to see it, I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen (and up toward the front) rather than just waiting for it to come out on dvd.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo5Qnz7XIwE
Kenji   03-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Dervish Wrote:I saw this movie a few days ago and saw it again less than 48 hours later (which is almost unprecedented for me). And now I'm thinking of seeing it yet again.

I'm aware that I have weird tastes, and I believe that some of the teasing metaphors and possibilities (and that I'm a Gaiman fan) no doubt play a part (as does the lessons I learned to beware those who bear gifts seemingly without reason), but if anyone thinks they might like this movie (and it's a good one to take many kids to, IMO), I'd like to suggest you see it on the big screen first for this reason:

http://www.cinemaverdict.com/2009/02/11/...-coraline/

And the 1st time I saw it was from the back, and the 2nd time was almost at the very front. The 2nd was more amazing for visuals, so it made a difference for me sitting closer. I doubt the effect can be recreated on most TV or computer screens. So if you think you might like to see it, I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen (and up toward the front) rather than just waiting for it to come out on dvd.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo5Qnz7XIwE

As Neil Gaiman fan, I have to see this. Can't wait!
Tony H   03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
GREAT FILM! I saw this in 3D and was blown away. The attention to detail in this film is mind-blowing. The art of stop-motion has never looked so good.

And what a creepy/scary story...the kids in the theater were horrified and parents a bit upset that the film was as creepy as it was.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Dervish   03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd agree that Coraline isn't suitable for ALL children, but I think most would like (if not love) it. (And some, like those I saw seeing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, might even find it boring.)

I was pretty sensitive to horror as a child, and prone to nightmares. Even Return to Oz was pretty intense for me. But I'm certain I'd have loved this movie. It would've scared the crap out of me, I'd probably have nightmares, but I'd not only love it, I'd also want to see it again.

This might be extra intense for whom the metaphors hold particular meaning for (as just one example, children from a dysfunctional home that have to pretend to see only what is acceptable to see--so that their eyes are taken, metaphorically speaking), though it would probably be even more disturbing to the 'rents.

So I agree with what the review said:

Quote:Henry Selick’s Coraline is a film that respects the intelligence and fortitude of children. Entertainment for the kiddies has become increasingly watered-down these days, and it’s a shame. There’s a place for films that are cute, sweet. cuddly, dumb, and non-threatening. Some children actually prefer such things. However, there are plenty of children out there who are smart, brave, and imaginative, and there’s nothing they like better than a creepy adventure full of spooky twists and turns. Most of the great children’s films have always been just a little bit frightening — the terror in the woods in Beauty and the Beast; The flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz; The trip down the river in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Lots of children enjoy a good scare, and Coraline knows it. The kids might shiver, scream, and cover their eyes, but when it’s all said and done, they’ll want to see it again

Quote:Certain scenes may be a bit too intense for the younger ones, but Coraline is very highly recommended for brave children of all ages.

Though I'd add that I liked the sweet, cuddly stuff, too (heck, I guess I still do from time to time), it's not an "either/or" thing for me. And that we kids scared the crap out of each other with stories of killers--and even monsters--that went after children and such all the time.

I can think of only 2 children I wouldn't take to see this...and in one case, I would take her anyway if she wanted to see it after she was properly warned that it got scary at times (with a few spoilers inappropriate to anyone else).
Mick C.   03-02-2009, 11:56 PM
My daughter (7) has had about 4 nightmares from the movie (based around the "button" scene). She really liked it a lot, though, and I think it had a good moral about getting everything you want versus what you need. My 2 older sons also liked it a lot - my 8-year old just finished reading Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" and is becoming a big Gaiman fan. I don't think having nightmares based on seeing a film is necessarily a reason not to let kids see it - otherwise I never would have seen "Wizard of Oz", "Godzilla", "King Kong", or "The Creature From the Black Lagoon", all of which gave me repeated nightmares as a kid (and occasionally, still, as an "adult".)

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie