Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Just saw the flick last night with me buddies Claude and Mitch. I thought the actors were great, but the script was weak. People just don't behave the way they did in the flick. Example: The bad guys pull up to Tom's house and throw his son out of the car. "Look what we found!" Threat implicit. Tom had a shotgun in his hands. He's gonna =put it down=? How about, "Jack!--just walk away from them. You! Make a move to hurt my boy and I =will= kill you. Honey--call Sam! Call Sam!"
The whole flick was like that. Jack's transformation from a wimp to a butt-kicking badass?
I just didn't believe it.
This post was last modified: 01-19-2009, 03:22 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
GeraldRice   01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I loved it. I thought the movie had great symmetry if you look for it. The father had given up a life of violence for a quiet life, then had to resurrect his old self to protect his family. The son, around the same time, had to find his inner beast in order to stand up for himself. The father, seeing this, was revolted that he had left a darker piece of himself within his son and perhaps =blinked= when his son steps out of the car. He didn't exactly want to kill people in front of him. Did you see the look he gave him after his son blows away Ed Harris? It wasn't satisfaction. It was a beast realizing it had bred a beast and not at all happy about it. And after that he realized in order to truly kill his old self, he had to finish off his old family- to guard the new one.

Look at how tender and cute the love scene was between husband and wife and compare it to the visceral, animal act they committed on the stairs. Remember how he pretty much slaughtered his brother and his crew? That was the animal at its absolute worst. By killing them, he was killing the old Joey, by washing off their blood he was washing off Joey's. For all intents and purposes, Joey SHOULD have been the one to come back if at all, but who sits at the table, with tears and pleas for forgiveness in his eyes as his daughter passes the peas? Tom.

The dialogue may have well had some problems from a logical standpoint, but you would have to completely leapfrog the emotion and the circle that had to be completed for one life to remain and another to end.

Edit: as another way of looking at it, think of Jack as Tom's conscience, or his own personal Jesus. If you were truly contrite, or at least thought you were, wouldn't you pause in your bloodlust if your conscience were watching you?
This post was last modified: 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM by GeraldRice.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-22-2009, 01:37 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:I loved it. I thought the movie had great symmetry if you look for it. The father had given up a life of violence for a quiet life, then had to resurrect his old self to protect his family. The son, around the same time, had to find his inner beast in order to stand up for himself. The father, seeing this, was revolted that he had left a darker piece of himself within his son and perhaps =blinked= when his son steps out of the car. He didn't exactly want to kill people in front of him. Did you see the look he gave him after his son blows away Ed Harris? It wasn't satisfaction. It was a beast realizing it had bred a beast and not at all happy about it. And after that he realized in order to truly kill his old self, he had to finish off his old family- to guard the new one.

Look at how tender and cute the love scene was between husband and wife and compare it to the visceral, animal act they committed on the stairs. Remember how he pretty much slaughtered his brother and his crew? That was the animal at its absolute worst. By killing them, he was killing the old Joey, by washing off their blood he was washing off Joey's. For all intents and purposes, Joey SHOULD have been the one to come back if at all, but who sits at the table, with tears and pleas for forgiveness in his eyes as his daughter passes the peas? Tom.

The dialogue may have well had some problems from a logical standpoint, but you would have to completely leapfrog the emotion and the circle that had to be completed for one life to remain and another to end.

Edit: as another way of looking at it, think of Jack as Tom's conscience, or his own personal Jesus. If you were truly contrite, or at least thought you were, wouldn't you pause in your bloodlust if your conscience were watching you?

Well-spoken, Gerald. I hadn't considered those angles.