GeraldRice   01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I just saw this yesterday. Better than the average teen slasher, but not by a long shot. For anyone looking for more than what you see in the previews you'll be disappointed. If you expect gore, you'll be getting what you paid for.

The 3D was pretty cool, they laid it on thick in the beginning, particularly. The premise is Harry Warden, a mine worker, gets trapped with a group of others after the teenaged son of the owner forgets to 'bleed the lines' (whatever that means) and there is a methane explosion. All but Warden die and it is soon revealed after they are recovered that it wasn't because of the collapse. Warden killed the others to conserve oxygen, but still wound up in a year-long coma. He wakes up and immediately kills everyone in the hospital and goes back to the mine to continue his work. There also happened to be a party of teens at the mine and he slaughters each as they file in. The owner's son comes with his girlfriend and everybody but those 2 and another couple are killed before the police get there, shoot warden a few times, and chase him farther into the mine.

Cut to a decade later, the owner's son has died and junior comes back to town to sign the final paperwork to sell it. Of course the killings pick up again as soon as he sets foot on the town's soil. Bleepity-blah a bunch of people die in much the same manner as they did all those years ago, the owner's son tries to semi-pick up on his former squeeze who's married another dude and popped out a tyke, but things are obviously very awkward as he just vanished after the initial mass murders.

There were some good scares, with decent use of the 3D, like the killer, dressed in his miner's garb, complete with face mask and lighted helmet pops through a window to reach for the babe of the hour and throwing his pike at some poor, unsuspecting victim. The only spot where I would say it disappointed is where it turns into another teen slasher and has [SPOILER]the two main suspects screaming at the girl that the other guy is the killer [/SPOILER]and just before that when the one guy [SPOILER]says how one of the victim's was killed[/SPOILER] and the girl asks, "[SPOILER]How do you know that[/SPOILER]?" and the guy answers, "[SPOILER]You told me[/SPOILER]," and it is so obvious by the look on both their faces that that SO did not happen.

But it was a fun movie. Take the missus and she should jump into your arms a few times. Unless she's like my steely, coal-eyed wife. She could have taken the killer in a best of 3.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Tony H   01-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I am seeing this tonight!

Rotten tomatoes has this at 68% fresh which is good for a horror movie.

Thanks for the review Gerald!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
GeraldRice   01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I just make it do what it do.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Tony H   01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I saw this last night and I was not thrilled but I was not disappointed either. A LOT of talking in this movie and long scenes of nothing happening. But when things happen they happen well.

Great use of 3D, a little gimmicky at times, but it was fun. Don't go in expecting a great story or a cohesive plot. And what is it with movies cheating the audience. The end of this was slightly better than the twist ending of High Tension but not by much.

Don't set a movie up to be a mystery if the ending is illogical when compared to what came before the denouement.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
GeraldRice   01-21-2009, 04:09 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I saw this last night and I was not thrilled but I was not disappointed either. A LOT of talking in this movie and long scenes of nothing happening. But when things happen they happen well.

Great use of 3D, a little gimmicky at times, but it was fun. Don't go in expecting a great story or a cohesive plot. And what is it with movies cheating the audience. The end of this was slightly better than the twist ending of High Tension but not by much.

Don't set a movie up to be a mystery if the ending is illogical when compared to what came before the denouement.

Tony, I have a thought as to why the killer was the killer. I think Harry Warden had [SPOILER]some kind of psychopathic disease [/SPOILER]that [SPOILER]infected the Henninger boy [/SPOILER]and turned [SPOILER]him into the killer when he came back to town[/SPOILER]. Or maybe [SPOILER]he'd been killing people even before he'd come back[/SPOILER]. It just struck me as [SPOILER]the blood spraying him in the face when Harry was shot as [/SPOILER]being significant somehow. But what did you mean as illogical? Was it [SPOILER]him seeing the killer [/SPOILER]and getting [SPOILER]trapped in the cage [/SPOILER]while he picked [SPOILER]that one guy's heart out[/SPOILER]?

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Tony H   01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I meant it was illogical as a "mystery". The film tricked the audience by having that cage scene for the sake of a twist ending. With regard to the ending though, I thought they were implying [SPOILER]possession[/SPOILER].

Certified 100% Serious