Pages (2): 1 2   
NickelobLight   12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi folks.

I haven't posted in a while. What with having read all of the RJ novels, and waiting until By the Sword came out, I had to stay away, or I'd be too tempted to read ahead to Nightworld, (not until it's chronologically correct!).

So I should be purchasing By the Sword on payday. Because of that, I've reread all of the RJ novels in the last couple of weeks. A couple things have been bugging me, and I'm sure LOTS of people have asked them.

What about the other Infernals? Will they make an appearance? When does Glaeken make himself more known to Jack, (other than watching him sleep)? When do the ladies with dogs tell Jack their true purpose? Will Jack let Lyle Kenton tell him his future? I know he stopped by briefly in Infernal, but that's it? The guy can tell the future! Will the Yeniceri play any more of a part? In The Haunted Air Tara Portman says something about how she was sent to get Gia out of the way, (or words to that effect). I'll have to assume that this was Ally inspired. Really? Was that the best that the Ally could do? A girl's ghost? That sort of half-assery makes me think 'No wonder the Otherness is winning.' Oh. Why in God's name did the Yeniceri try to kill the Heir? Regardless what Jack did to them, he's the freaking Heir! They're the Ally's tools on Earth, eh? The Ally makes me think of a drunk who just doesn't care.

Ah, I'm sure if I scoured the forums, all the little things that have been bothering me have been answered, (and these are just the tip of that particular iceberg). But between the football season, (Go Bucs! Go Gators!), my job, and the work I've been doing on my own novel, I just don't have much opportunity. Hell, those three things have BEEN my life for months now. God I need a life.

I guess the point of this rant is this: Does By the Sword answer any questions? Or does it pose more?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

[Image: dfb17bf94b00b1e2eb_5.jpg] [Image: s_logo_tampa.gif]
Lysistrata   12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
NickelobLight Wrote:I guess the point of this rant is this: Does By the Sword answer any questions? Or does it pose more?

1) about one and a half

2) yes

Trying to be nice
cobalt   12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Succinct.

EWMAN
Lysistrata   12-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm jealous of him. He has BTS to read.

Trying to be nice
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
NickelobLight Wrote:Hi folks.

I haven't posted in a while. What with having read all of the RJ novels, and waiting until By the Sword came out, I had to stay away, or I'd be too tempted to read ahead to Nightworld, (not until it's chronologically correct!).

So I should be purchasing By the Sword on payday. Because of that, I've reread all of the RJ novels in the last couple of weeks. A couple things have been bugging me, and I'm sure LOTS of people have asked them.

What about the other Infernals? Will they make an appearance? When does Glaeken make himself more known to Jack, (other than watching him sleep)? When do the ladies with dogs tell Jack their true purpose? Will Jack let Lyle Kenton tell him his future? I know he stopped by briefly in Infernal, but that's it? The guy can tell the future! Will the Yeniceri play any more of a part? In The Haunted Air Tara Portman says something about how she was sent to get Gia out of the way, (or words to that effect). I'll have to assume that this was Ally inspired. Really? Was that the best that the Ally could do? A girl's ghost? That sort of half-assery makes me think 'No wonder the Otherness is winning.' Oh. Why in God's name did the Yeniceri try to kill the Heir? Regardless what Jack did to them, he's the freaking Heir! They're the Ally's tools on Earth, eh? The Ally makes me think of a drunk who just doesn't care.

Ah, I'm sure if I scoured the forums, all the little things that have been bothering me have been answered, (and these are just the tip of that particular iceberg). But between the football season, (Go Bucs! Go Gators!), my job, and the work I've been doing on my own novel, I just don't have much opportunity. Hell, those three things have BEEN my life for months now. God I need a life.

I guess the point of this rant is this: Does By the Sword answer any questions? Or does it pose more?

Howdy-doo, Nick.

Let's remember 3 things:
Paul went to Jesuit school.
Paul is an MD.
Paul is a fictioneer.

I see the Otherness as Satan, the Ally as the God who set things in motion and sits back, only acting when Satan gets too bold. I don't see how a physician like Paul (a self-described "recovering Catholic") could not shout to Heaven, "Why? Why do You let this happen?" And so, in Paul's fiction, the Ally is not big mucho better than the Otherness.

But Nick, what's the scoop on your own writing?
NickelobLight   12-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Howdy-doo, Nick.

Let's remember 3 things:
Paul went to Jesuit school.
Paul is an MD.
Paul is a fictioneer.

I see the Otherness as Satan, the Ally as the God who set things in motion and sits back, only acting when Satan gets too bold. I don't see how a physician like Paul (a self-described "recovering Catholic") could not shout to Heaven, "Why? Why do You let this happen?" And so, in Paul's fiction, the Ally is not big mucho better than the Otherness.

But Nick, what's the scoop on your own writing?

Excactly my point. Even when the Ally is setting plans in motion, it seems to go about them rather half-ass. Kind of like "Aw gross. That fish has been in the fridge for two weeks! I should throw it out, but its way in back. Eh, I'll leave a note for one of my roommates to get to it. I'm drunk." It doesn't really seem to deserve Earth, if that's the best it can do.

Well, as this is not my forum, and I'm hardly a professional, it may not be an appropriate venue to air my own works. I'll briefly say that it involves zombies, its a comedy, and taking said zombies out of the equation, its painstakingly accurate and realistic. There's no 'magic science,' (or if you prefer 'MacGuyver science'). I'm about half done, (been working on it since late April), and when it is, I'll have a LOT of editing to do. It has no title, because lets face it...if I can get somebody to publish it, (BIG if), they can call it whatever the heck they want. As it stands I call it 'my book.' If I had my druthers I'd call it Chomp, (it's set in Gainesville. UF. Gators. Zombies. Chomp). I chose G-ville because its one of the few cities in Florida that doesn't seem to have been staked as some other Florida author's claim like Tampa (Tim Dorsey), Miami, (Carl Hiassen), the Keys (Tom Corcoran), Palm Beach (Lawrence Sanders), or Lauderdale (John D. MacDonald). I know Jacksonville, Orlando & the panhandle are open, but I don't like those cities, and I haven't had the opportunity to go to the panhandle yet. And basically, I just want to do something totally original. Hell, I've been watching literally dozens & dozens of zombie movies to make sure I'm not ripping anything off. I almost cancelled it all when I saw Quarantine & Rec because firetrucks play a big part in my novel.

So that's me being brief. You should see me write incident reports at work. Big Grin I'd be happy to PM you any further information if you like.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

Scott Miller   12-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Dude you didn't even check back in when the Rays were all the rage, but glad to see you back now and good luck with your book.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
NickelobLight   12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Dude you didn't even check back in when the Rays were all the rage, but glad to see you back now and good luck with your book.

Man, you have no idea how superstitious of a sport's fan I am. Ever since I ranted about how unfair life was for a Rays fan on a message board, (this exact board to be precise), they went on a tear. I mean, within days, they started knocking the sh** out of everyone. So I didn't post ANYTHING on any board after that, including the other board that I frequent which is about the Bucs, (bucschat.com).

I'm so bad I call my cat 'Tampa' every Sunday, (or Monday if warranted). If I slip up once and call her 'Beaux', I freak out and get depressed. Now I call my new roommate's cat 'Bay.' He doesn't want me to, but I have to do whatever is necessary for my Bucs, (or Rays) to win.

Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
NickelobLight Wrote:Excactly my point. Even when the Ally is setting plans in motion, it seems to go about them rather half-ass. Kind of like "Aw gross. That fish has been in the fridge for two weeks! I should throw it out, but its way in back. Eh, I'll leave a note for one of my roommates to get to it. I'm drunk." It doesn't really seem to deserve Earth, if that's the best it can do.

Well, as this is not my forum, and I'm hardly a professional, it may not be an appropriate venue to air my own works. I'll briefly say that it involves zombies, its a comedy, and taking said zombies out of the equation, its painstakingly accurate and realistic. There's no 'magic science,' (or if you prefer 'MacGuyver science'). I'm about half done, (been working on it since late April), and when it is, I'll have a LOT of editing to do. It has no title, because lets face it...if I can get somebody to publish it, (BIG if), they can call it whatever the heck they want. As it stands I call it 'my book.' If I had my druthers I'd call it Chomp, (it's set in Gainesville. UF. Gators. Zombies. Chomp). I chose G-ville because its one of the few cities in Florida that doesn't seem to have been staked as some other Florida author's claim like Tampa (Tim Dorsey), Miami, (Carl Hiassen), the Keys (Tom Corcoran), Palm Beach (Lawrence Sanders), or Lauderdale (John D. MacDonald). I know Jacksonville, Orlando & the panhandle are open, but I don't like those cities, and I haven't had the opportunity to go to the panhandle yet. And basically, I just want to do something totally original. Hell, I've been watching literally dozens & dozens of zombie movies to make sure I'm not ripping anything off. I almost cancelled it all when I saw Quarantine & Rec because firetrucks play a big part in my novel.

So that's me being brief. You should see me write incident reports at work. Big Grin I'd be happy to PM you any further information if you like.

Don't believe anyone would object if you posted any of your work, Nick. Gerald and I lay down stuff all the time. But, =jeeze, that's a good name for a band: ZOMBIE LOVE SCIENCE.

Strange zombie-like monsterosities in Florida? Have you read Paul's GATEWAYS yet, ? He picked up on that theme too.
This post was last modified: 12-15-2008, 07:14 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
NickelobLight   12-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Don't believe anyone would object if you posted any of your work, Nick. Gerald and I lay down stuff all the time. But, =jeeze, that's a good name for a band: ZOMBIE LOVE SCIENCE.

Strange zombie-like monsterosities in Florida? Have you read Paul's GATEWAYS yet, Nick? He picked up on that theme too.

Gateways was the second RJ book I read, (I bought it and Criss-Cross at the same time), precisely BECAUSE it took place in my home state. But no, these aren't as you put it, strange zombie-like monstrosities in Florida. The zombie apocalypse is immediate and world-wide. My story revolves around characters in Florida.

I have to go to work soon, but I'll leave you this. My zombies have an origin that is VERY original, and actually stated. Yes, unlike Romero, I give a reason for the zombie apocalypse. Also, my characters do not do the classic zombie-movie "What are those THINGS? Those THINGS are out there!" dialogue. And you know how in most zombie movies, they're never called zombies? No, they're called zombies almost immediately. I mean, its 2008. If any one of us sees a bunch of bloody people stumbling around, missing limbs, and eating other people, we KNOW that they're zombies, and your average person KNOWS to aim for the head.

An easy way to describe my book? You ever see the original Dawn of the Dead? If not, there's a scene near the beginning. A bunch of good-old-boys are in a field drinking beer and shooting zombies while our main characters fly overhead in a helicopter, (said good-old-boys will henceforth be known as 'my people.'). The blonde looks down at my people and says "Look at those rednecks. They're probably having fun." or words to that effect. She seems very snotty about this. I mean, if I have a rifle, lots of ammo, buddies, beer, and I'm in a field being approached by slow zombies, I'd make lemonade out of those lemons, wouldn't you? Romero makes another reference to my people at the end of Diary of the Dead, and wonders about mankind's soul or something like that when a couple of my people string a zombie up and blow its head off. Sorry George, I'm not buying it. When the inevitable zombie apocalypse happens, you'll be praying there are some of my people around. Bank on it.

Anyway, my book is about those people in the field. Well, not those people. They're old by now. No, it's about their spiritual descendants, and I'll stop here and go brush my teeth, since I have to go leave to go care for the criminally insane. Until later...

Pages (2): 1 2