Pages (2): 1 2   
Repairman Jack Cable SeriesPoll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Repairman Jack Cable Series: Hell, Yes!
10 (71.43%)
Repairman Jack Cable Series: Sounds Lame
4 (28.57%)
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
ConstantGeographer   12-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I have read the Repairman Jack series from The Tomb through Bloodline. I understand that many fans would like to see a movie based on Repairman Jack, but this just seems stupid to me.

Repairman Jack would work much better as a serialized cable television show. It could be produced much faster than a movie. The books lend themselves to TV more than the silver screen. Recurring characters, recurring themes, drama, humor, action, suspense, plus a bit of the macabre would attract lots of viewers. If the right cast was found, and the right network, like USA or HBO, for example, this show could keep on giving for years. Then, the reruns would be awesome after a couple years.

It just doesn't make sense to me to make a movie based on a character few have heard of. Then, we have to wait X number of years for the next movie. If the Cable show worked well, then the X-File formula could work, and a movie could then come out at year three or four (X-Files waited a little too long).

But a TV show would be great! We could watch it every week, right before or after Burn Notice or House. People jonzing for a Buffy-esque show, or Angel-esque show, or X-Files, or BSG would get their fix. We could Tivo it, watch it on Hulu, download it to iPod, add each season to our Netflix queue.

Someone needs to get moving on this.
cobalt   12-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the board CG. Nice idea, good argument....we'll see...lol

EWMAN
LolaRennt   12-03-2008, 01:01 AM
As long as it doesn't compete against Dexter or Criminal Minds...
webby   12-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Welcome ConstandGeographer (I almost typed ConstantGardener - lol)!

I'd be happy with a tv series if it was done well. You do make some good points but I think the brick wall you're going to run up against is that the rights to film RJ have already been purchased (by Beacon, I believe).

Unless Beacon wants to do a tv series instead of a movie, it probably won't happen.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pikecop72   12-03-2008, 04:00 AM
It is a good thought to ponder. I LOVE what USA has done with Burn Notice, and can't wait for it til January. the problem there is that if ratings don't make a splash, we could be left in mid-season with a cliffhanger, or the series just never gets renewed leaving us the same problem.

Think of Iron Man- basically, he was a second tier character and he made HUGE bank this summer. With a decent screenplay (and I have an author in mind, lol) and featuring Rakoshi, I think the returns could be big.

Maybe a combination- a big screen movie or two, then a series?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell
LolaRennt   12-03-2008, 04:17 AM
If it were a cable show, my vote would be for it to be on real cable, without commercials and without stupid restrictions - so it would not be on USA or whatever.

I'm generally against the concept of running something as a TV show and then making movies out of it. Granted, Star Trek made that leap ok, although one or two of the movies had some serious problems (Insurrection should never have made it to the big screen).

A movie series could work as well, provided the script writing remains consistently strong.
Brian   12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Cable would be the way to go here. No commercials and no restrictions on dialog or violence.

There is no wise man without fault
colburn0004   12-03-2008, 09:52 PM
If it was done well and on the right network this would be great. But I doubt those things would come together. But on something like FX or USA if not HBO or Showtime it could be done good.

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
Libby   12-03-2008, 10:40 PM
ConstantGeographer Wrote:I have read the Repairman Jack series from The Tomb through Bloodline. I understand that many fans would like to see a movie based on Repairman Jack, but this just seems stupid to me.

Repairman Jack would work much better as a serialized cable television show. It could be produced much faster than a movie. The books lend themselves to TV more than the silver screen. Recurring characters, recurring themes, drama, humor, action, suspense, plus a bit of the macabre would attract lots of viewers. If the right cast was found, and the right network, like USA or HBO, for example, this show could keep on giving for years. Then, the reruns would be awesome after a couple years.

It just doesn't make sense to me to make a movie based on a character few have heard of. Then, we have to wait X number of years for the next movie. If the Cable show worked well, then the X-File formula could work, and a movie could then come out at year three or four (X-Files waited a little too long).

But a TV show would be great! We could watch it every week, right before or after Burn Notice or House. People jonzing for a Buffy-esque show, or Angel-esque show, or X-Files, or BSG would get their fix. We could Tivo it, watch it on Hulu, download it to iPod, add each season to our Netflix queue.

Someone needs to get moving on this.

WELCOME!!!Smile The only problem with a TV show is that not everyone has TV (cable and dish kind), so not EVERYONE could enjoy it immediately. Plus, when (if) the seasons came out on DVD, it would cost a fortune.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Pacal   12-05-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm in. Put it on HBO, and get Bruno Heller (Rome) on it. Even if it lasted two seasons, we'd get everything from The Tomb to Nightworld with a little filler thrown in. I don't get HBO myself, but I'd rather rent/buy the discs than have a short and sloppy movie. Oh well....
Pages (2): 1 2