Gard   11-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi --

Had hoped to post this earlier. Have any of you seen this new Youtube video from some people in Canada? I was alone on Halloween, uploading a "dramatic reading" of "The Monkey's Paw" to a different site, and as I waited, I popped over to Youtube. The folks there had selected this short (ten minutes long) film called "There Are Monsters", for special distinction on Halloween and, on a whim, I clicked on it.

REALLY well done. Great camera work, simple acting. Good all the way around. And... Scary. The effect on me was so intense that I was actually a little unsettled for a while.

It rekindled my interest in well-made, short horror films, that's for certain.

The only thing that took my mind off it was playing an interview with Dan Curtis, about the creation of the first "Night Stalker" TV movie. Good ol' Carl Kolchak, can't beat him for a smile. If you get a chance, look at "There Are Monsters" at Youtube. And watch it after dark... Wink
webby   11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsL_5bovozE

I watched about 2 minutes and it does look very good. I'll start it over and watch the whole thing after dark. Wink

Thanks for the tip, Gard.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   11-03-2008, 02:01 AM
:yikes: I just watched the vid. Spooooky!! It made me jump at a certain point too.

It is very well done. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wapitikev   11-03-2008, 02:43 AM
webby Wrote::yikes: I just watched the vid. Spooooky!! It made me jump at a certain point too.

It is very well done. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Big Grin
Heh.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Gard   11-05-2008, 05:57 PM
The only things, visually, that have had that effect on me have been, in time-linear order:

1. Richard Matheson's Killer Tiki Doll, from "Trilogy of Terror" - Come on! Yikes!
2. Donald Southerland's Final "Body Snatcher" Scream from that 1978 version. That one gave me a nightmare. Good thing he had good dental care for that closeup!
3. The smile on the face of that store clerk in this new vid, "There are..." There was something about the atmosphere they created that just clicked. Very cool.

As far as the written word goes, the most anxious I've been due to reading has been the final microwave scene in "Hosts". Such tension and sadness involved in it. Really freaky stuff! Hooray!

I recall reading the short story "Canavan's Back Yard", by Joseph Payne Brennan, and finding the way in which he painted the scene of that strange, ever-lengthening back yard to be particularly funky...

Oh, and then there's the scene in TED Kline's "Nadelman's God" where Nadelman looks through his college notebook for his old poem, and finds the name "The Hungerer"... Ooooooh, scary, Count Floyd!

:yesnod:
Scott Miller   11-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Gard Wrote:Ooooooh, scary, Count Floyd!

And now the kid from Deliverance.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels