Scott Miller   07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I watched it last night and while it's not great, it should appeal to anyone with RJ's mindset. It's sort of a British version of Death Wish. I found it timely mainly because the cctv, currently being discussed in the political forum, plays a large role in the events. It stars Sean Bean as an Iraqi war veteran who upon his return is horrified by the crime and the lack of response by the police to it so he forms a team to take matters into his hands.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   07-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I watched it last night and while it's not great, it should appeal to anyone with RJ's mindset. It's sort of a British version of Death Wish. I found it timely mainly because the cctv, currently being discussed in the political forum, plays a large role in the events. It stars Sean Bean as an Iraqi war veteran who upon his return is horrified by the crime and the lack of response by the police to it so he forms a team to take matters into his hands.
I rented it last night after reading your post. You're right about the Closed Circuit Television, but it also deals with the growing frustration caused by a government, and police, that do the opposite of what they're supposed to be doing.

Pretty good movie except for the fact that I found it difficult to understand much of the dialogue because of the accents.

Ken V.
Scott Miller   07-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:I rented it last night after reading your post. You're right about the Closed Circuit Television, but it also deals with the growing frustration caused by a government, and police, that do the opposite of what they're supposed to be doing.

I listened to a bit of the making of and the writer/director was saying the idea germinated from several conversations he'd had with people who were no longer willing to call the police under any circumstances.

Ken Valentine Wrote:Pretty good movie except for the fact that I found it difficult to understand much of the dialogue because of the accents.

Ken V.

I almost resorted to subtitles at a couple of points because I really struggle with that accent, and I would have if the character's were a little more interesting.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   07-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I listened to a bit of the making of and the writer/director was saying the idea germinated from several conversations he'd had with people who were no longer willing to call the police under any circumstances.
I saw that pert in the "extra features" myself.
Quote:I almost resorted to subtitles at a couple of points because I really struggle with that accent, and I would have if the character's were a little more interesting.
I tried using subtitles, but on the DVD I rented the only subtitles were in Spanish.

Ken V.
bones weep tedium   11-12-2008, 07:35 PM
*SPOILERS*

I saw it, and didnt think it went far enough. Having Sean Bean's charatcer go from a passionate leader to an armed robber to an idiot who blunders painfully underprepared into perfectly obvious traps to get killed by muppets was disappointing.

I would recommend the book Little Brother by Cory Doctorow available here.

It's really good.

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."