Pages (2):    1 2
t4terrific   02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
jjmcculloch Wrote:A knife in the hands of an expert is the most dangerous, scariest thing around, far more dangerous than a gun. I received my knife defense training from an Israeli Defense Forces sergeant-major and this guy could take out a room in seconds with a knife. I remember thinking (after he'd killed me in training for the tenth or twentieth time) "I am so glad this guy is on our side."
Then why do they carry guns?
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-03-2011, 01:39 AM
t4terrific Wrote:Then why do they carry guns?

Back up.
Peter   02-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Tales are told, Peter, that all Britain's enemies needed to hear was, "The Gurkhas are coming!", and the enemies would be on the run.

But "mercenaries"? Wouldn't each man call himself "a British soldier"?

Perhaps I should have explained that. The Gurkhas are Nepalese, not British and are paid to fight for us. They are, however, intensely proud to do so and it is a great honour for a Nepalese family to have a son in the Gurkhas. Also with Nepal being a low income country a British Army wage goes a long way back home!

In fact it is only recently that our government finally saw sense and allowed retired Gurkhas to live in the UK, if they wish.

Well, I've never seen one do THAT before
jjmcculloch   02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
The Mad American Wrote:Apparently you have never seen Indiana Jones.Big Grin

Were you referring to Indy's whip, the Thugee's sword, or Kate Capshaw's ability to kill a movie with just a few lines of dialogue?
nonquixote   02-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Don't know if you were kidding or not, but the serious answer would be because not everyone is a knife expert and the gun is easier for the non expert to apply effectively. Besides, in combat even an expert could find himself pinned down or disabled and need to operate from a bit of distance.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
jjmcculloch   02-05-2011, 01:35 AM

Each has its own advantages. Less training needed for guns and rifles, better at distance. Knives are quieter and never run out of ammo. That's why we had knives and guns. Plus a few other goodies. Big Grin
Ken Valentine   02-11-2011, 12:00 AM
nonquixote Wrote:Don't know if you were kidding or not, but the serious answer would be because not everyone is a knife expert and the gun is easier for the non expert to apply effectively. Besides, in combat even an expert could find himself pinned down or disabled and need to operate from a bit of distance.
Yes, expertise aside, distance is the key. Guns are effective at considerably greater distance than arms length.

Ken V.
scarywitchy   03-05-2011, 02:23 PM
jjmcculloch Wrote:Were you referring to Indy's whip, the Thugee's sword, or Kate Capshaw's ability to kill a movie with just a few lines of dialogue?

<chortle...choke>Big Grin
Pages (2):    1 2