jimbow8   05-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Seems very utilitarian yet still geeky. Big Grin

http://www.nikkoamerica.com/nhe/dvd_proj...video.html

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
webby   05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Seems very utilitarian yet still geeky. Big Grin

At $2,900.00, having one of these would seem to prove that geekiness pays. :p

(http://www.nikkoamerica.com/eshopnikko/10Browse.asp)

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ken Valentine   05-12-2008, 01:04 PM
webby Wrote:At $2,900.00, having one of these would seem to prove that geekiness pays. :p

Or that there are people who have the kind of imagination which enables them to make a great deal of money by catering to other people's geekidity . . . osity . . . ness.

Ken V.
Wapitikev   05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Seems very utilitarian yet still geeky. Big Grin

This is TOO cool...but I'm happy with my PT-AE900U for 1/2 the price, suspended from the ceiling. My infant son would take that sucker apart in 10 seconds.

Projectors are definitely the way to go for home theatre...which is why I rarely go to the cineplex any more...besides my popcorn is better at home.

That way, the only idiot talking during the movie is...me.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Silverfish   05-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Wow!

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
bones weep tedium   05-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Wapitikev Wrote:This is TOO cool...but I'm happy with my PT-AE900U for 1/2 the price, suspended from the ceiling. My infant son would take that sucker apart in 10 seconds.

Projectors are definitely the way to go for home theatre...which is why I rarely go to the cineplex any more...besides my popcorn is better at home.

That way, the only idiot talking during the movie is...me.

-Wapitikev

You can't watch the latest releases though. Sad

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Wapitikev   05-16-2008, 05:57 AM
bones weep tedium Wrote:You can't watch the latest releases though. Sad

True, but most of the movies released these days aren't good enough to pay $20 just to force myself to put up with other people's BS...I tire of telling people in theatres where to go and how to get there. And when fights break out they eject both parties...theatre staff don't seem to care whether idiots are imitating Howard Cosel or have a cell phone louder than the soundtrack or brighter than the screen, or a laser pointer, or emphysema, or involuntary leg reflexes that repeatedly kick the back of my seat, etc., etc., etc.

Instead of dealing with the aggravation that these people cause me, I now wait until movies come out on pay per view or wait longer and buy them on DVD.

Plus, now that I need a sitter for my boy, it is even easier to wait for DVD.

The only movies I now force myself to see in theatres are ones I know I'm gong to absolutely love: Iron Man, Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, etc.

Against my better judgement I decided to break my own rules and see I Am Legend....which gave me yet another reason not to attend the theatre anymore.

Besides, my 15 foot screen (from my projector) looks just as good as the theatre's does and my Yamaha 6.1 Digital sound system is more than enough to make my wife complain about how loud it is or how high the base is turned up, etc.

I 'like" my movies...just not the theatres.

-Wapitikev
This post was last modified: 05-16-2008, 05:59 AM by Wapitikev.

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
bones weep tedium   05-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Wapitikev Wrote:True, but most of the movies released these days aren't good enough to pay $20 just to force myself to put up with other people's BS...I tire of telling people in theatres where to go and how to get there. And when fights break out they eject both parties...theatre staff don't seem to care whether idiots are imitating Howard Cosel or have a cell phone louder than the soundtrack or brighter than the screen, or a laser pointer, or emphysema, or involuntary leg reflexes that repeatedly kick the back of my seat, etc., etc., etc.

Instead of dealing with the aggravation that these people cause me, I now wait until movies come out on pay per view or wait longer and buy them on DVD.

Plus, now that I need a sitter for my boy, it is even easier to wait for DVD.

The only movies I now force myself to see in theatres are ones I know I'm gong to absolutely love: Iron Man, Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, etc.

Against my better judgement I decided to break my own rules and see I Am Legend....which gave me yet another reason not to attend the theatre anymore.

Besides, my 15 foot screen (from my projector) looks just as good as the theatre's does and my Yamaha 6.1 Digital sound system is more than enough to make my wife complain about how loud it is or how high the base is turned up, etc.

I 'like" my movies...just not the theatres.

-Wapitikev

I quite like the excitement of going out to the cinema though.

Sorrel and I don't drink or go to nihgtclubs or anything, so if we ever go out it's to see a film or to go to a play.

I guess having a munchkin hanging around is something to contend with though.

Do you ever watch pirates of the latest releases over the internet if you're interested in a film but can't quite be bothered to organise a trip to the cinema? I know that poor wuality pirates ruin the film, but a lot of them are pretty decent copies. I would rather wait to watch a film on DVD than watch a pirate, but with certain big films if you wait until the DVD you have heard about all the best bits and twists from a hundred accidental mentions in various conversations/magazines/etc

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Wapitikev   05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:I quite like the excitement of going out to the cinema though.

Sorrel and I don't drink or go to nihgtclubs or anything, so if we ever go out it's to see a film or to go to a play.

I guess having a munchkin hanging around is something to contend with though.

Do you ever watch pirates of the latest releases over the internet if you're interested in a film but can't quite be bothered to organise a trip to the cinema? I know that poor wuality pirates ruin the film, but a lot of them are pretty decent copies. I would rather wait to watch a film on DVD than watch a pirate, but with certain big films if you wait until the DVD you have heard about all the best bits and twists from a hundred accidental mentions in various conversations/magazines/etc

I don't...unfortunately, as an ex-librarian, I can (almost) quote the copyright act, so I have no excuse to misunderstand that they are illegal. As a result, I was refusing to download 'em even before those cheesy anti-piracy ads started popping up at the beginning of movies and DVDs.

I got dragged to see No Country for Old Men with my friends...which wasn't too bad an experience, all in all, but it was 4 weeks after it had arrived at our cinema and there were only 10 people other than us, so there was no-one to annoy me.

On the other hand, if Iron Man wasn't so good, it would have been easily spoiled by the losers who sat near me.

Good on ya for the no drinking and clubs thing...clubs are a rare occurence for me in the last decade but social drinking occurs when out with friends and for gourmet meals...unless a designated driver is not available.

-Wapitikev