Scott Miller   05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
This little mini-series from the Sci-Fi channel is probably best classified as a guilty pleasure. This updating of The Wizard of Oz certainly isn't great, but I was entertained throughout. Zooey Deschanel stars as D.G., Neal McDonough is Kane(The Tin Man), Alan Cumming is Glitch(The Scarecrow), Raul Trujillo is Raw(The Cowardly Lion), Kathleen Robertson is Azkedeliah(The Wicked Witch), and Richard Dreyfus is The Mystic Man(the Wizard). They are all decent, but I was a bit disappointed in Cumming's rather subdued performance-if ever there is a role that calls for him to be at his flamboyant best, this is the one. The effects are what you would expect from a Sci-Fi channel movie, good but not great. I really liked how they updated everything while remaining faithful to the source material. If you're a fan of the original, you might want to consider giving it a try.

I will caution parents that there are a couple of pretty grim scenes and Robertson exposes maximum cleavage in every scene she is in.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Wapitikev   05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:This little mini-series from the Sci-Fi channel is probably best classified as a guilty pleasure. This updating of The Wizard of Oz certainly isn't great, but I was entertained throughout. Zooey Deschanel stars as D.G., Neal McDonough is Kane(The Tin Man), Alan Cumming is Glitch(The Scarecrow), Raul Trujillo is Raw(The Cowardly Lion), Kathleen Robertson is Azkedeliah(The Wicked Witch), and Richard Dreyfus is The Mystic Man(the Wizard). They are all decent, but I was a bit disappointed in Cumming's rather subdued performance-if ever there is a role that calls for him to be at his flamboyant best, this is the one. The effects are what you would expect from a Sci-Fi channel movie, good but not great. I really liked how they updated everything while remaining faithful to the source material. If you're a fan of the original, you might want to consider giving it a try.

I will caution parents that there are a couple of pretty grim scenes and Robertson exposes maximum cleavage in every scene she is in.

I was just in the video store yesterday and the owner told me about this one (and that it was almost 4 hours) but she didn't seem to know that it was a miniseries.

She highly recommended it.

Seems she was right.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Aprilis   05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I saw it when the sci-fi channell first ran it. And I think the writers did a really good job taking the main elements of the story and twisting (no pun intended) it into a new and original story.

But of course Gregory Maguire did the same with Wicked.

Of the two alternate storys I have to say I prefer wicked but maybe that was because I read it and got to use my imagination. But Tin Man did have a nice [SPOILER]twist ending[/SPOILER] that I didnt see coming.

But I read just the other day that the oz story is now public domain and 2 studios are working on or thinking about remakes. The Wizard of Oz is such a classic movie I'm not sure how good a remake could be .....
Some movies just shouldnt be remade.