law dawg   08-02-2004, 11:25 PM
First let me start by saying that I absolutley love the RJ series. RJ is one of my favorite characters ever (with Roland from Steven King, Spenser from Robert Parker and my growing liking of John Rain from Barry Eisler). RJ is the man. The below can be discarded if it is too impudent, but it is my worthless take on RJ's liabilites.

That said I have a few points that I would like to make about his character. First and foremost is his "blending in". RJ should strive to be as invisible as possible. It seems that is his goal (as I read it, please correct if I am off track). That said it seems RJ's only method of "blending in" is to dress in some sort of blue jeans and a plaid shirt. He even had one on in a formal party if memory serves. This is the opposite of blending in. Blending in means that one dresses in the entire that EVERYONE else is in. As someone whose profession entails being undercover every day this is important. I will not dress the same in a business environment (say Wall Street) as I would for Julio's bar. Jack should always strive to be as invisible as possible - to leave only a ripple in his wake. He should also watch his walk and his attitude. It seems kind of "woo-woo" but I have, after a lot of OJT and luck, been able to "feel" a truly dangerous person. Like you can feel when someone is staring at you, a truly dangerous person puts out a vibe that other heavy hitters can feel. It seems metaphysical but it exists.

Second, Jack needs to be shown keeping in practice with his physical and firearms skills. Also, what is his background? One doesn't just "poof" become a proficient fighter and shooter (I may have missed something here because I haven't read Gateways yet). These are perishible skills. If I don't go shoot at least once or twice a month I definitely know the difference. Jack has an advantage in that he is well-acquainted with adrenal stress, which can make even an excellent shooter freeze up on "that day", but he still needs to stay sharp. Also, hand to hand stuff is important. Jack is not a self-defense (SD)practiconer. In other words he fights until its over - he rarely just hits to stun and then try and get away like a SD practioner would. His fights tend to run long, which necessitates a higher level of fighting and conditioning. I am built like Jack (5'10" 185). I spend a lot of time keeping in physical shape. Lifting weights, wind sprints, martial arts (muy thai, brazilian jiu-jutsu, silat). This is important if you are in a lifestyle where physical violence is very possible. We should see Jack doing this a little bit and maybe learn his background in it.

Third, Jack and Abe's argument aside, Jack should ALWAYS carry a round chambered. This is gunslinging 101. In the old West the technology did not allow this kind of carry. Modern technology has remedied this. In an adrenal scenario higher brain functions shut down. It is too difficult to remember to chamber the round unless you instill this practice through constant practice (see above). And even if you do, it is too slow. When you need a gun you need it RFN (Right F-ing Now). To have to chamber a round is amazingly slow. Fractions of seconds are important in a gunfight. Jack should also stick with one carry method. To switch from shoulder holsters to ankle and to SOB (small of back) is too confusing to the lizard brain. When the shit hits the proverbial fan your lizard brain is going to fire and send the hand to where you practice looking for the gun. If it is not there it will take a while for the brain to catch up and remember where it is. And valuable time is wasted. While you are wasting time your bad guy is not standing there waiting for you. You are a bullet magnet.

Lastly, Jack needs to carry a blade of some sort. Guns can be hard to deploy in CQC (close quarters combat) environments. Guns need distance. If the bad guy is too close it is too cumbersome. Blades are easier. Blades are usually closer (especially folders with a clip). They are also good gun retention tools although this is not too much of a problem for RJ. Still, RJ is an operator. He has a job to do and he must be willing to use the tools necessary. We know he will cut you (if you can slice a guy's eyeballs with your fingernails cutting someone with a blade is easy). You go to the toolbox to get the appropriate tool. Sometimes a kinfe, sometimes some brass knuckles, sometimes a smile and nice word. Use the appropriate tool at the approriate time.

And, for what it is worth, I would recommend (ask) FPW to read On Killing by Dave Grossman. It is a study of Killology (author's defintion). It is the study of how people kill and do violence to each other and the problems people in the lifestyle encounter. It discusses military history, the rates of kills (and percentage of shots fired by soldiers) in each war, and the ability (or inability) of people to kill. It also discusses how the military and law enforcement have developed to counteract the human instinct to NOT kill. It is an amazing work. If you have already read it then my apologies. Another one I enjoyed was Killer, by Joey. It is a how-to book on Mob operations (shylocking, numbers, murder). It tells you how it is done and how to do it yourself. Joey is a pseudonym for some old Mob button man. Another amazing book. Out of print but I found 2 copies just recently on Amazon. I think these books would help RJ out in his actions, the guilt he must feel (even if the bad guy was a real piece of crap taking life and doing violence is NEVER easy) and maybe help with some badguy info.

My opinion only. Your mileage may vary.
Paul R   08-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Blimey - what kind of work are you in?!
Ken Valentine   08-03-2004, 04:32 AM
law dawg Wrote:First let me start by saying that I absolutley love the RJ series. RJ is one of my favorite characters ever (with Roland from Steven King, Spenser from Robert Parker and my growing liking of John Rain from Barry Eisler). RJ is the man. The below can be discarded if it is too impudent, but it is my worthless take on RJ's liabilites.

That said I have a few points that I would like to make about his character. First and foremost is his "blending in". RJ should strive to be as invisible as possible. It seems that is his goal (as I read it, please correct if I am off track). That said it seems RJ's only method of "blending in" is to dress in some sort of blue jeans and a plaid shirt. He even had one on in a formal party if memory serves.

If you are referring to the formal party in THE TOMB, (I can't recall any other) Jack wore an old fashioned tux, with tails. Depending on where he is going, and what kind of crowd he is going to be mingling with, Jack will wear what ever draws the least attention. From flannel shirt, jeans, and work boots, to slacks, polo, and sweater. Remember what he wore when he first met Kolabati?

Quote:Second, Jack needs to be shown keeping in practice with his physical and firearms skills. Also, what is his background? One doesn't just "poof" become a proficient fighter and shooter (I may have missed something here because I haven't read Gateways yet). These are perishible skills. If I don't go shoot at least once or twice a month I definitely know the difference.

Reread THE TOMB. Especially the part where he exercises everyday, and how he exercises. It needn't be repeated in every book, and it doesn't need to be shown. Some implications don't need to be elaborated on, and not going into excruciating detail is part of what gives Jack some of his mystique. (And keeps the books from becoming boring.)

Quote:Jack has an advantage in that he is well-acquainted with adrenal stress, which can make even an excellent shooter freeze up on "that day", but he still needs to stay sharp. Also, hand to hand stuff is important. Jack is not a self-defense (SD)practiconer. In other words he fights until its over - he rarely just hits to stun and then try and get away like a SD practioner would. His fights tend to run long, which necessitates a higher level of fighting and conditioning. I am built like Jack (5'10" 185). I spend a lot of time keeping in physical shape. Lifting weights, wind sprints, martial arts (muy thai, brazilian jiu-jutsu, silat). This is important if you are in a lifestyle where physical violence is very possible. We should see Jack doing this a little bit and maybe learn his background in it.

See CRISSCROSS.

Quote:Third, Jack and Abe's argument aside, Jack should ALWAYS carry a round chambered. This is gunslinging 101. In the old West the technology did not allow this kind of carry. Modern technology has remedied this.

Carrying a gun without a round chambered is Jack's personal preference. I don't agree with it either, but that is his way, and I accept it.

As far as "old West technology" is concerned, perhaps you have been watching too many movies. In the Cap-and-Ball days, there were notches between the caps on Remingtons, and small pins between the caps on Colts, so that all six chambers could be loaded and the hammer lowered to lock the cylinder between chambers so that a blow to the hammer wouldn't fire a round. On cartridge guns like the Colt P-Series (Model 1873), the Remington Model 1875, and the Smith & Wesson Scofield, the hammer could be lowered so that the fixed firing pin would nestle between the rims of two cartridges achieving the same thing as on the Cap-and-Ball pistols.

Quote: You go to the toolbox to get the appropriate tool. Sometimes a kinfe, sometimes some brass knuckles, sometimes a smile and nice word. Use the appropriate tool at the approriate time.

Reread the beginning of THE TOMB.

FPW is far ahead of you.

Ken V.
Lisa   08-03-2004, 10:37 AM
How many of the RJ books have you read, Law Dawg? Just curious. It does seem you've missed some stuff.

Lisa
law dawg   08-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Ken-If you are referring to the formal party in THE TOMB, (I can't recall any other) Jack wore an old fashioned tux, with tails. Depending on where he is going, and what kind of crowd he is going to be mingling with, Jack will wear what ever draws the least attention. From flannel shirt, jeans, and work boots, to slacks, polo, and sweater. Remember what he wore when he first met Kolabati?

Me-I was talking about the party in The Haunted Air. Even Gia gets on him for dressing in a short-sleaved plaid shirt, jeans and work boots. He did well in All the Rage blending in for the art show and The Tomb. But blending in means doing it all the time and it is exhausting. It is one of the reasons people in this kind of lifestyle need to decompress so often. It is part of being a pro and why their closets are so diverse they tend to stick to only certain environments. I know certain things are done for literary license it was just a minor thing that jumped out to me.

Jim-Reread THE TOMB. Especially the part where he exercises everyday, and how he exercises. It needn't be repeated in every book, and it doesn't need to be shown. Some implications don't need to be elaborated on, and not going into excruciating detail is part of what gives Jack some of his mystique. (And keeps the books from becoming boring.)

Me-I read the Tomb and remember the exercises but I think some mention of his regimen is important, especially as he learns new things. New methods, etc. Also, not everyone started at the Tomb (I started there for RJ). Again, a minor point and I agree you don't need a 3 page litany each book.

Ken-See CRISSCROSS.

Me-Thanks. THAT I haven't read yet so I am lacking here (said there may be something I missed and memory is inefficient at times......). Will get to it ASAP.

Ken-Carrying a gun without a round chambered is Jack's personal preference. I don't agree with it either, but that is his way, and I accept it.

Me-Said it was a critique only. My opinion. But no one carries like this anymore and RJ is a pro. It is inefficient and RJ seems like a model of inefficiency. It makes an already cumbersome weapon (pistol) to bring to bear due to concealment issues even slower if you has to rack a round. Not to mention you hope you remember to rack one and don't just pull the gun and start pulling the trigger....

I also remember the brass knuckles. Maybe I forgot him carrying a blade? I may have forgotten that. Still, a guy like Jack who always carries a gun (and nearly always mentions it) would always carry a blade too. I don't remember any mention of it. Again, just my opinion.

These a minor things that I would like. Doesn't mean they are correct or that everyone else would like them. Just my BS opinion. And thanks for the Crisscross reference. I had missed that one.
Ken Valentine   08-03-2004, 07:41 PM
law dawg Wrote:Me-I was talking about the party in The Haunted Air. Even Gia gets on him for dressing in a short-sleaved plaid shirt, jeans and work boots. He did well in All the Rage blending in for the art show and The Tomb. But blending in means doing it all the time and it is exhausting. It is one of the reasons people in this kind of lifestyle need to decompress so often. It is part of being a pro and why their closets are so diverse they tend to stick to only certain environments. I know certain things are done for literary license it was just a minor thing that jumped out to me.

Yes, in THE HAUNTED AIR he dressed in work clothes, but do you recall the kinds of outrageous things others wore to the party? Big Grin

In another sense, we all dress to blend in. Like the rest of us, I'm sure you have suits in your closet for certain occasions, tee shirts and jeans for other occasions, slacks and polo shirts for still others, etc. . . . and shoes to match.

Quote:Ken-See CRISSCROSS.

Me-Thanks. THAT I haven't read yet so I am lacking here (said there may be something I missed and memory is inefficient at times......). Will get to it ASAP.

Best to read GATEWAYS first, as there are small things there which lead directly into CRISSCROSS. Also, CRISSCROSS is only out now in a limited edition. The regular hardback will be out around November . . . according to Barnes and Noble.

Quote:Ken-Carrying a gun without a round chambered is Jack's personal preference. I don't agree with it either, but that is his way, and I accept it.

Me-Said it was a critique only. My opinion. But no one carries like this anymore and RJ is a pro. It is inefficient and RJ seems like a model of inefficiency. It makes an already cumbersome weapon (pistol) to bring to bear due to concealment issues even slower if you has to rack a round. Not to mention you hope you remember to rack one and don't just pull the gun and start pulling the trigger....

I think the thing to remember here is consistancy -- as I'm sure you know -- if you consistantly carry with a loaded chamber, you will consistantly not rack the slide. If you consistantly carry with an empty chamber, you consistantly will rack the slide.

There are minor errors in the books. There are minor errors in all books.
Take UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES, by John Ross for example. (An historically accurate novel about the gun culture.) John REALLY knows guns . . . I mean he . . . REALLY . . . KNOWS . . . GUNS! But in one scene in his 800 plus page novel, he shows he doesn't know how to use a hacksaw. But then most people don't, so it can be excused.

Quote:I also remember the brass knuckles. Maybe I forgot him carrying a blade? I may have forgotten that. Still, a guy like Jack who always carries a gun (and nearly always mentions it) would always carry a blade too. I don't remember any mention of it. Again, just my opinion.

Things like that don't need to be mentioned until they need to be . . . well . . . mentioned. And when they need to be mentioned, FPW mentions them. It's not necessary to list Jacks pocket contents every night. Big Grin

Quote:These a minor things that I would like. Doesn't mean they are correct or that everyone else would like them. Just my BS opinion. And thanks for the Crisscross reference. I had missed that one.

You'll get there.

You also might want to read UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. a novel which you will either love, or hate . . . nothing in between.

Ken V.