law dawg   03-23-2008, 04:19 PM
For all the wannabe RJs out there......

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/20...experiment

"In 2006, David Holtzman decided to do an experiment. Holtzman, a security consultant and former intelligence analyst, was working on a book about privacy, and he wanted to see how much he could find out about himself from sources available to any tenacious stalker. So he did background checks. He pulled his credit file. He looked at Amazon.com transactions and his credit-card and telephone bills. He got his DNA analyzed and kept a log of all the people he called and e-mailed, along with the Web sites he visited. When he put the information together, he was able to discover so much about himself—from detailed financial information to the fact that he was circumcised—that his publisher, concerned about his privacy, didn’t let him include it all in the book.

I’m no intelligence analyst, but stories like Holtzman’s freak me out. So do statistics like this one: Last year, 127 million sensitive electronic and paper records (those containing Social Security numbers and the like) were hacked or lost—a nearly 650 percent increase in data breaches from the previous year. Also last year, news broke that hackers had stolen somewhere between 45 million and 94 million credit- and debit-card numbers from the databases of the retail company TJX, in one of the biggest data breaches in history. Last November, the British government admitted losing computer discs containing personal data for 25 million people, which is almost half the country’s population. Meanwhile, some privacy advocates worry that the looming merger between Google and the Internet ad company DoubleClick presages an era in which corporations regularly eavesdrop on our e-mail and phone calls so they can personalize ads with creepy precision. Facebook’s ill-fated Beacon feature, which notifies users when their friends buy things from Facebook affiliates, shows that in the information age, even our shopping habits are fit for public broadcast. Facebook made Beacon an opt-in service after outraged users demanded it do so, but the company didn’t drop it completely."

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Schwinn160   03-25-2008, 10:32 AM
That's kinda-sorta-super creepy.

Amen to Firefox for blocking nearly all of the ads and things, plus having an AMAZING adblocking add on... Big Grin
Endorill   03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
It [I]is[I] frightening! I, too have Firefox, but am exploring other methods for storing and preserving private information.

The internet only offers an illusion of privacy. It starts when you open it up in your home and put in your first password.

Shamelessly promoting the Jossverse and all it's works.

Its a SPIKE thing, you wouldn't understand.
Legion   03-25-2008, 02:45 PM
My address on my license hasn't been my address in about 2 and a half years.

I was living in an apt and would often talk to the ladies in the management office. When I moved I arranged it so that any mail I would recieve there would stay there, instead of forwarding it anywhere. I have no bills being sent there mind you, since in fact I have no bills coming in. The only things that are sent there are my drivers license renewal and registration renewal forms. For my car insurance I have gone completely paperless.

I have about thirty diferent email addresses set up, only using two of them at a time. All were set up from diferent public computers with diferent ISP #s.

All transactions I do online ( which in itself is rare as a dinosaur in burbank ) I use a prepaid visa debit card.. I buy a new one of these weekly to bi-weekly. All packages go to various locations around the tristate area where I have made aliances for just that reason.

Anything i have to put a name on I have under an alias which I select form a large list I put together years ago and frequently update.

My internet; I either use a public wifi signal with a computer with no personal info on it, and/or a neighbors wifi. Given that i live in a crowded city its not hard to find a wifi signal anytime I need one.

As I have previously stated I maintain my cell phone under the name John Tyleski, and in the past weekend activated a second prepaid line under a diferent name of my own device ( witha nod to Jack in it, but to that I will say no more.) My fiance' has a prepaid under the name Gia DiLauro, btw.

My ex DESTROYED my credit beyond repair so it matters not to me that as far as the credit agencies are concerned I have dropped off the face of the planet.

And as a fail-safe I have an emergency plan. If all hell breaks loose and Big Bro comes out into the open I have a literal binder full of the personal info of numerous people who will take no notice of any activity for reasons to remain unsaid. I compiled this list while working for a company with global reaches.

And there are still other things that shall remain unsaid but in short I am a ghost as much as I can be.

I am not a slave and will never be one.

[Image: hope.jpg]

Guns Don't Kill People, ATF Agents Do!
Aprilis   03-28-2008, 01:43 AM
law dawg Wrote:I’m no intelligence analyst, but stories like Holtzman’s freak me out. So do statistics like this one: Last year, 127 million sensitive electronic and paper records (those containing Social Security numbers and the like) were hacked or lost—a nearly 650 percent increase in data breaches from the previous year. Also last year, news broke that hackers had stolen somewhere between 45 million and 94 million credit- and debit-card numbers from the databases of the retail company TJX, in one of the biggest data breaches in history. "

At work I have access to thousands of credit card nbrs, names and addresses of the owners too. And I'm always writing them down and saying them over the phone.
After having this job I really wont ever use a debit card at a hotel ever again.

But luckily I am honest and put everything in the shredding bin as I am supposed to.

And this is the reason that Visa has mandated PCI compliancy for all credit card merchants. So no more storing of swipe data. CC nbrs have to be encrypted. they have to have video cameras, its quite extensive. And all merchants and service providers have to comply by july 1st 2010.

But I dont know if anyone has heard this .. the first breach on a PCI compliant merchant has already happened! and it happened during the time in which they were undergoing their PCI compliancy certification.

The changes are good though but hackers will still find a way around.
cobalt   03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Well you guys are just freaking me out now, ya know.

EWMAN