Pages (2):    1 2
Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Dadburnit, now you've stumped a Dylan scholar. Did the tune turn up on one of the Master's nondescript albums between EMPIRE BURLESQUE and the great OH MERCY? I hate to google rock stuff, but now I gotta, blast my wicked hide.

Awright, I found it: GOT MY MIND MADE UP on the KNOCKED OUT LOADED album. Which I don't recall at all... Well, it =was= a dry patch...

A SOI-DISANT "SCHOLAR" WOULD KNOW, YOU PRETENTIOUS, SELF-IMPORTANT POSEUR--DR. ROMA

Tom has that song on his Playback box set. According to the booklet, Tom wrote it. offered it to Bob, Bob changed the lyrics and then recorded it. The version I have is with Tom's original lyrics and is sans Bob.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Tom has that song on his Playback box set. According to the booklet, Tom wrote. Bob changed the lyrics and the version I have is with Tom's original lyrics.

Wow! Cool and unusual indeed! Did Bob change the lyrics a whole lot?
Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Wow! Cool and unusual indeed! Did Bob change the lyrics a whole lot?

I have no idea never having heard Bob's version. The notes say Bob say about going to Libya and Tom did not.

Scott

Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I have no idea never having heard Bob's version. The notes say Bob say about going to Libya and Tom did not.

Considerably different I'd say.

http://www.actionext.com/names_b/bob_dyl...de_up.html

http://www.actionext.com/names_t/tom_pet...de_up.html

Scott

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I have no idea never having heard Bob's version. The notes say Bob say about going to Libya and Tom did not.

Hah! Dylan in Libya! Atsa nice. To my knowledge, in Dylan's rare co-writes he either does the lyrics by himself, or takes another lyricist's without changing them (as in the Dylan/Hunter tunes SIVIO and UGLIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD). Bob, by his own admission, had forgotten how to write lyrics in those middle-80s years. "I'd forgotten before, after my accident, but I learned how to muscle through. But then, even if a song came to me like a bulldog at the gate, I couldn't finish it." Robert Hunter (all this is paraphrased): "Well, Bob came to my place, grabbed my notebooks, and split." Did you feel misused about that, Robert Hunter? (Incredulous)--"If you're a lyricist, and =Bob Dylan= wants your workbooks...I mean...got a better question, man?"
Scott Miller   03-04-2008, 06:32 PM
ImDeranged Wrote:I just listened to both. Both are good songs on albums I don't really listen to a lot so I've never done back to back listening comparisons.

As an aside I will say Knocked Out Loaded is a dangerous album. I was working in a video store years ago and fell asleep w/ it on. (I was at home not work) The song Brownsville girl came and and I had the strangest dream I was at work, and this doddering old man comes up to the counter,

"Well, there was this movie I seen one time,
About a man riding 'cross the desert and it starred Gregory Peck.
He was shot down by a hungry kid trying to make a name for himself.
The townspeople wanted to crush that kid down and string him up by the neck."

Then I realize that it's Bob Dylan asking me for a movie. This customer I thought was an old fool was really Bob Dylan. At this point I don't even realize it's a dream he's just an old guy trying to find an old cowboy film,

"There was a movie I seen one time, I think I sat through it twice.
I don't remember who I was or where I was bound.
All I remember about it was it starred Gregory Peck, he wore a gun and he was shot in the back.
Seems like a long time ago, long before the stars were torn down."

At this point I realize Bob Dylan really is a doddering old man just babbling away. Think wait a minute what's Bob Dylan doing in my store, oh wow I'm dreaming. Then wake up. One of those strange dreams I've remembered not because it was strange but somewhat mundane.

Anyway there's my Knocked Out Loaded dream

Yup. You are deranged.

Scott

jimbow8   03-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry I got to this thread so late. I knew the answer to Mike's question and new the correct album it was on: Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) has always been one of my favorite albums of his (possibly #1). I also HIGHLY recommend the documentary. Especially interesting are the parts about the formation of the band and contract signing and his fight with the record company.

Sadly, I've been rather unimpressed with most of the stuff since Wildflowers. I think losing Stan Lynch had a lot to do with that, since I always thought Stan brought a lot of the fun and light-heartedness to the group (the little studio excerpts that show up on many of the albums between songs, for instance). I admit that I was shocked to hear that Howie Epstein had passed away, since I haven't been keeping as much track of the band as of late. Truly sad.

Scott (and any other diehard Petty fans), you should try to get a hold of a copy of A Bunch of Videos and Some Other Stuff for an example of some of the playfulness of the band. I think it has only ever been available on VHS, so if you want I could always send a copy.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Miller   03-08-2008, 12:46 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Sadly, I've been rather unimpressed with most of the stuff since Wildflowers. I think losing Stan Lynch had a lot to do with that, since I always thought Stan brought a lot of the fun and light-heartedness to the group (the little studio excerpts that show up on many of the albums between songs, for instance).

While I agree Wildflowers was a tough act to follow, I like both Echo and Highway Companion quite a bit. In fact, I think Echo has more should'ves(the songs that don't receive airplay but should have) than Let Me Up. I love Counting On You, Accused Of Love, Won't Last Long, This One's For Me, No More, About To Give Out, Rhino Skin and One More Day, One More Night from Echo and from LMU I dig A Self-Made Man, Aint Love Strange, All Mixed Up, It Will All Work Out and Let me Up(I've Had Enough. However, I must say that The Last DJ is by far my least favorite of all their/his albums.

I also agree that losing Stan wasn't cool and handled poorly but let's face it, both parties were interested in different outcomes.

Scott

jimbow8   03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:While I agree Wildflowers was a tough act to follow, I like both Echo and Highway Companion quite a bit. In fact, I think Echo has more should'ves(the songs that don't receive airplay but should have) than Let Me Up. I love Counting On You, Accused Of Love, Won't Last Long, This One's For Me, No More, About To Give Out, Rhino Skin and One More Day, One More Night from Echo and from LMU I dig A Self-Made Man, Aint Love Strange, All Mixed Up, It Will All Work Out and Let me Up(I've Had Enough. However, I must say that The Last DJ is by far my least favorite of all their/his albums.

I also agree that losing Stan wasn't cool and handled poorly but let's face it, both parties were interested in different outcomes.

I debated whether to make my "cut-off" after Wildflowers or after Echo. I like echo, too, but it didn't have the same energy that Wildflowers had. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not saying any of the albums are bad. In fact, I don't think there is a single Petty song that I actually dislike*, and that's unique.

*not including the unreleased tracks off of Playback - then it's debatable.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (2):    1 2