Maggers   12-26-2007, 01:53 AM
The amazing Philip Seymour Hoffman is paired with the equally amazing Laura Linney, both indie favs, in THE SAVAGES. They are brother and sister trying to cope with the impairment and ill health of their estranged father, played well by Phillip Bosco, also someone who never turns in a poor performance.

Most of you won't see this movie. Chances are it's such an indie that it won't play in your neighborhood. But if it should pop up in your area, and you are someone who enjoys a film about real people grappling with real life situations, do check it out. It's a joy to watch Hoffman work. What a guy. It so happens he looks like my brothers. He could take the place of either my older or younger brother and no one would know. That happenstance added a poignency to THE SAVAGES that touched me.

Indie lovers, this is a movie to see.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

ccosborne3   05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Excellent movie. My parents are getting up there in age and "The Savages" made me dread the future.

I watched One Missed Call right ater and found myself thinking why do I watch this crap when I can watch a good flick like The Savages? Seriously considering cutting the crap out of my literary and cinematic diet. Just don't find those kind of films appealing anymore.
Maggers   05-06-2008, 11:00 PM
ccosborne3 Wrote:Excellent movie. My parents are getting up there in age and "The Savages" made me dread the future.

I watched One Missed Call right ater and found myself thinking why do I watch this crap when I can watch a good flick like The Savages? Seriously considering cutting the crap out of my literary and cinematic diet. Just don't find those kind of films appealing anymore.

CC, you're growing up, young man, you bring a tear to this old woman's eye (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek Big Grin ).

I'm glad you enjoyed "The Savages." It plays well in my memory.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd