Maggers   11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I enjoyed AMERICAN GANGSTER, but I don't think it's the best movie of the year, as I've heard from some reviewers. It's a terrific and largely unknown story that just begs to be told. Ridley Scott did a wonderful job in creating NYC circa 1968-76, a period I lived through and remember well. The performances are top notch. I'm not fan of Russell Crowe, but he is fabulous here. Denzel Washington just can't be beat. Josh Brolin was mean and menancing and great. The supporting roles are strong, too.

However, at 157 minutes, it's long, and I was aware of its length which is not a good sign. But I wasn't overly bothered by it.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   11-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Russell Crowe vs. Denzel Washington....

12 years ago, they fought in "Virtuosity". And, they fight again. That's great! Cool
Noelie   11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Not a fan of Russell Crowe? Muscles... sweat... skirt... sword fighting... does not compute... brain shutting down... *faint*

Wink

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Maggers   11-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Noelie Wrote:Not a fan of Russell Crowe? Muscles... sweat... skirt... sword fighting... does not compute... brain shutting down... *faint*

Wink

OK, I forgot about the skirt. He looks good in a skirt.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

The Mad American   11-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Maggers Wrote:OK, I forgot about the skirt. He looks good in a skirt.

Who doesn't?Big Grin

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Annice Burdeos   11-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Maggers Wrote:I enjoyed AMERICAN GANGSTER, but I don't think it's the best movie of the year, as I've heard from some reviewers. It's a terrific and largely unknown story that just begs to be told. Ridley Scott did a wonderful job in creating NYC circa 1968-76, a period I lived through and remember well. The performances are top notch. I'm not fan of Russell Crowe, but he is fabulous here. Denzel Washington just can't be beat. Josh Brolin was mean and menancing and great. The supporting roles are strong, too.

However, at 157 minutes, it's long, and I was aware of its length which is not a good sign. But I wasn't overly bothered by it.

Saw this quite a long time ago and found it to be a bit derivative

sometimes I wish I hadn't reviewed film/theater while an undergraduate- it sometimes interferes with the way I view films

Crowe as good as always but found Washington still in his Training Day mode.

The best part? When the Crowe and Washington storylines converged......

Is it Academy material? Most Likely
is it deserving? - Remains to be seen
Kenji   02-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Today I saw American Gangster in a theatre.

I am Ridley Scott's film fan, and this is great, I enjoyed it. I didn't feel 157 min is long, because I got stuck into the story. Of course, Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, both actors were excellent as usual.

I saw many Ridley Scott's films, but this "American Gangster" was not like his usual film. In "Blade Runner", he showed crowded city and there is always rainy days. In "Black Rain", he showed strange Asian culture. In "Black Hawk Down", he showed fighting in the foreign town. Ridley Scott always gave priorities to visual effects. But in "American Gangster",I think he gave priorities to story. I like that.
XiaoYu   02-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Annice Burdeos Wrote:Saw this quite a long time ago and found it to be a bit derivative

sometimes I wish I hadn't reviewed film/theater while an undergraduate- it sometimes interferes with the way I view films

Crowe as good as always but found Washington still in his Training Day mode.

The best part? When the Crowe and Washington storylines converged......

Is it Academy material? Most Likely
is it deserving? - Remains to be seen
What things now stick out and detract from a movie that might otherwise not if you didn't know what you do about film/theater?

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
GeraldRice   02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I heard an interview with Nicky Barnes (who's in witness protection) and he said many of the things in the story didn't happen the way they were presented in the movie. He was also portrayed as a bit of a buffoon when (again, according to him) he was bigger than Frank Black in the H business. Also, there are a couple ex cops who are suing because Black rolled on them or something in the movie and though the police aren't named, it could only have been implying these particular officers. I'll still appreciate it if it's good, regardless of how true the movie is.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com