Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Tony H   10-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I recently watched Blazing Saddles in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray. The picture was fantastic, the sound was wonderful (except for the campfire scene) and I laughed harder than I had at any movie in recent memory.

If you have never seen this Mel Brooks masterpiece rent it immediately. The movie manages to insult everyone. Blacks, Whites, Jews, Gays, Native American Indians, Rednecks, Women. The list goes on.

But as insulting as the movie could have been interpreted it comes across as an equal-opportunity lambast, a roast honoring the human condition with guffaws and belly laughs galore.

Cleavon Liitle delivers his lines with Shakespearian gusto and manages to convey so much emotion with subtle expression. One memorable scene stands out when as the newly appointed sheriff of Rock Ridge he goes out one morning and greets an elderly woman. Her harsh response is both hilarious, insulting and sad at the same time.

Then there is the soft-spoken Gene wilder, a famous gun-slinger, The Waco Kid, who lost his nerve after a horrible misjudgment of character which is recounted with sorrow and a punch-line by Wilder to Little.

No movie has made me miss Madeline Kahn more than this. Kahn was in her heyday in this film, pulling off a brilliant performance and an even more outstanding musical number "I'm Tired" which Brook's claims is the dirtiest song he ever penned.

Blazing Saddles is perhaps the best social commentary wrapped cleverly in laughs and perhaps could be the precursor to the likes of Chappell's Show.

Watch the opening sequence here then go rent or buy Blazing Saddles.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Paul R   10-13-2007, 02:27 PM
You know, I haven't watched Blazing Sadles in probably 15 years. Yet I still cite it as being soooo funny. I'll put it on my things to do list, and I'll get Wifey to sit down and watch it too - she grew up in a very sheltered environment. I know for a fact - without even asking - that she won't have seen this film. And even if she doesn't like it, she'll enjoy watching me enjoying it. (She's said this many a time - if I think a film is funny and she just doesn't get it, she'll watch me watching it and get nearly as much enjoyment out of that!)

"I handed in the new RJ novel with the
working title, BY THE SWORD. David says the sales force loved the title at the
pre Turkey-Day sales meeting, so that's what it will be. That means Paul Ramplin
gets a credit line in the acknowledgments.
"
law dawg   10-13-2007, 02:48 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I recently watched Blazing Saddles in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray. The picture was fantastic, the sound was wonderful (except for the campfire scene) and I laughed harder than I had at any movie in recent memory.

If you have never seen this Mel Brooks masterpiece rent it immediately. The movie manages to insult everyone. Blacks, Whites, Jews, Gays, Native American Indians, Rednecks, Women. The list goes on.

But as insulting as the movie could have been interpreted it comes across as an equal-opportunity lambast, a roast honoring the human condition with guffaws and belly laughs galore.

Cleavon Liitle delivers his lines with Shakespearian gusto and manages to convey so much emotion with subtle expression. One memorable scene stands out when as the newly appointed sheriff of Rock Ridge he goes out one morning and greets an elderly woman. Her harsh response is both hilarious, insulting and sad at the same time.

Then there is the soft-spoken Gene wilder, a famous gun-slinger, The Waco Kid, who lost his nerve after a horrible misjudgment of character which is recounted with sorrow and a punch-line by Wilder to Little.

No movie has made me miss Madeline Kahn more than this. Kahn was in her heyday in this film, pulling off a brilliant performance and an even more outstanding musical number "I'm Tired" which Brook's claims is the dirtiest song he ever penned.

Blazing Saddles is perhaps the best social commentary wrapped cleverly in laughs and perhaps could be the precursor to the likes of Chappell's Show.

Watch the opening sequence here then go rent or buy Blazing Saddles.
Bart: You are my guest, and I am your host. What is your pleasure? What do you like to do?
Jim: I don't know... play chess... screw...
Bart: [quickly] Let's play chess.

One of the all time classic comedies, along with The Jerk, Blues Brothers, Animal House, Young Frankenstein and Airplane.

And while not yet classics, they will be, Clerks and I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
RichE   10-13-2007, 03:45 PM
"And we the people of......"
God that film made the whole audiance scream! "Blazing" is great!"
BK Akitas   10-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Blazing Saddles is probably my favorite movie of all time- I never get tired of watching it.

"He's wet saurkraut in my hands. By morning he will be my slave!....So tell me, Schatzi, is it uh, twue what they say about your people? Oh it's twue, it's twue it's twue it's TWUE!"

Equal opportunity insults, gotta love it.

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
RichE   10-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Mel Brooks
"Work Work Work-Hi Boys-Work Work work"
Kenji   10-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I like Blazing Saddles,too. Big Grin

But for me, his best films are "Young Frankenstein" and "High Anxiety".
cobalt   10-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Mel Brooks sure can make a comedy. I like Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein...two of my all time favorite comedies.

EWMAN
joelfinkle   10-15-2007, 12:37 AM
I have to disagree due to one major issue: The ending sucks. Breaking the fourth wall, breaking character, and a pie fight? C'mon, the pie fight worked for "The Great Race" but give me a story with a payoff.

For Mel Brooks, I still prefer the original version of the Producers: Nathan Lane can't reach the levels of depravity of Zero Mostel -- "hold me touch me"; and Young Frankenstein: great cast, great script, great homages. Everything past Saddles just doesn't hold up.

But they all pale before the comedic glory that is A Fish Called Wanda:
Kline, Curtis, Cleese and Palin, and it stays funny on repeated watchings due to the love these actors have for the performance. Wanda chewing out Otto, Otto trying to apologize, Archie apologizing upside down, Ken's near-terminal stutter fit toward the end... it's great from start to finish.
Scott Miller   10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
joelfinkle Wrote:I have to disagree due to one major issue: The ending sucks. Breaking the fourth wall, breaking character, and a pie fight? C'mon, the pie fight worked for "The Great Race" but give me a story with a payoff.

For Mel Brooks, I still prefer the original version of the Producers: Nathan Lane can't reach the levels of depravity of Zero Mostel -- "hold me touch me"; and Young Frankenstein: great cast, great script, great homages. Everything past Saddles just doesn't hold up.

I agree completely with the ending, although I still think that overall the movie is hilarious.

For me, I'd have to say National Lampoon's Animal House and Caddyshack are the two funniest movies of all time.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (3): 1 2 3