mores   10-02-2007, 06:06 PM
hey guys and gals,
please excuse the rather weird question.
but what author/book would you recommend, when someone wanted to read something similar to the repairman jack series?
i know, fpw is unique, but there must be other authors and/or books that give a similar reading experience.

i am asking because i am in a waiting state until i get new RJ books!
and i am tired of the same old csi-crap of the patterson, reichs, mcdermid type. what do you read between fpw books ?
Scott Miller   10-02-2007, 06:25 PM
mores Wrote:hey guys and gals,
please excuse the rather weird question.
but what author/book would you recommend, when someone wanted to read something similar to the repairman jack series?
i know, fpw is unique, but there must be other authors and/or books that give a similar reading experience.

i am asking because i am in a waiting state until i get new RJ books!
and i am tired of the same old csi-crap of the patterson, reichs, mcdermid type. what do you read between fpw books ?

If you just scroll down in this forum look up the more books please thread or go to off topic and look for the who's reading what threads using the search option you'll find many suggestions.

Welcome btw.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Scott Miller   10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:If you just scroll down in this forum look up the more books please thread or go to off topic and look for the who's reading what threads using the search option you'll find many suggestions.

Welcome btw.

Actually I just tried to search the off topic using those terms and came up blank, but throughtout the years there have been several lengthy threads dedicated to who's reading what. I hope that helps.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
BK Akitas   10-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Preston & Child mostly. Some Morrell. Thomas Harris.

if you go to Amazon and type in an FPW title and scroll down they will give a list of ..."customers who liked this also bought..." and that could give you some ideas.

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
Mike Hanson   10-02-2007, 08:39 PM
mores Wrote:hey guys and gals, please excuse the rather weird question.
but what author/book would you recommend, when someone wanted to read something similar to the repairman jack series? i know, fpw is unique, but there must be other authors and/or books that give a similar reading experience. i am asking because i am in a waiting state until i get new RJ books! and i am tired of the same old csi-crap of the patterson, reichs, mcdermid type. what do you read between fpw books ?

Hey Mores. If you really like the character of Repairman Jack, you
should purchase the book "My Name Is Legion" by Roger Zelazny.
It is a compilation of three short stories that features a character
not unlike Jack. They're set in the not too distant future (as
it was imagined in the late 1960's). Should be available in
paperback at your average college bookstore (in the sci fi
section), or definitely at ABE Used Books or Alibris Used Books,
online.

Zelazny and Wilson are my two fave writers.

Mike Smile
RepairmanTom   10-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, pretty tough to find RJ-like stories. I've found Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels to be great fun. Read about 5 of those, and never been disappointed. If you'd be willing to read a little more horror-themed stuff, a new fave of mine is Charlie Huston's vampire/noir books with Joe Pitt. Cool hard-boiled stuff w/a horror backdrop. And if you can stretch even further, Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden novels are a current favorite. They have been described as "Harry Potter for adults". No hate mail please, nothing wrong with HP mind you. But Dresden is a real smartass wizard in the "real" world, who brings our RJ to mind, but you have to like fantasy/horror, as these are filled with werewolves/fairies/warlocks/vampires etc...but great stuff. Before I discovered RJ I read alot of fantasy/horror stuff, you might say Jack "broadened my horizon" a bit. Hope these help!
mores   10-03-2007, 03:54 AM
allright, cool!
thanks for your replies and suggestions.

i think the reason i like RJ so much is that while it's categorized as "horror", it is not too much out there. there is still the "this could happen to me" feeling that, i think, does not make it a fantasy novel.

anyhow, i'll check out those suggested authors, and do some browsing through this forum to find more.
must broaden horizon Smile

thanks again,
daniel
Auskar   10-03-2007, 05:39 AM
mores Wrote:i think the reason i like RJ so much is that while it's categorized as "horror", it is not too much out there. there is still the "this could happen to me" feeling that, i think, does not make it a fantasy novel.
If you like Repairman Jack and want similar type characters that aren't "out there" in the fantasy and horror genre (because they are not horror or fantasy), you will probably like...

James W. Hall
Randy Wayne White
Robert Crais
Lee Child (not Lincoln Child)

I have a made-up genre that I like and I call it the "lone hero" genre. That's why I read Repairman Jack. He fits in the lone hero genre, at least for me.
Kenji   10-03-2007, 08:05 AM
mores Wrote:allright, cool!
thanks for your replies and suggestions.

i think the reason i like RJ so much is that while it's categorized as "horror", it is not too much out there. there is still the "this could happen to me" feeling that, i think, does not make it a fantasy novel.

anyhow, i'll check out those suggested authors, and do some browsing through this forum to find more.
must broaden horizon Smile

thanks again,
daniel

Don't forget Andrew Vachss's Burke series. They're very cool.