Pages (8): 1 2 3 4 5 8   
Amon   06-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I decided to take the initiative and start this thread. I hope enough people have read it by now, but just in case, I'll make sure to include a spoiler space.

**SPOILERS**

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

**SPOILERS**

That should be enough. Anyway...

So what did everyone think about these new developments? Jonah Stevens sure got around and the oDNA was very intriguing. If people like Jonah and even Jack are loaded with this oDNA then does this mean they're descendant from beings from the Otherness? Furthermore, from what side of the family could Jack have gotten all his oDNA from? His father's or his mother's, or maybe both? Jack has always possessed a pocket of darkness inside him that tends to cloud the sides of his vision whenever he truly gets angry, and now I guess we know why.

Question: Is all oDNA a product of the Otherness, or could some also be a product of the Ally? If that's the case, then could there be a slim possibility that Jack could be a descendant of Glaeken or maybe even Rasalom? That's probably presumptuous, but it's definitely something to think about.

All in all, this was another fantastic plot and story. I especially loved the tension created by the fact that Jack has yet to tell Gia that the "accident" that almost took her and Vicky's life, and killed her unborn child, was no accident. I can't imagine how she'll react when she finally finds out.

Finally, I presume that the old man that's been spying on Jack is Glaeken?

Anyway, with all the loose ends from this book waiting to be tied up, the next book ought to be a real milestone.
nijimeijer   06-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Like Infernal was to Harbingers, I felt this book will be to the next one. Kind of a "part one of two" set. It introduced new concepts and characters and situations that I imagine will be resolved (somewhat at least) in the next book. That said, I enjoyed it a great deal. I enjoyed the new story elements as well as the addition to the mythology of the F. Pauliverse.

My only issue was that Jeremy owned both a Wii and a Gamecube. The Wii is fully backwards compatible; he doesn't need that Gamecube anymore! Big Grin Of course, saying that only shows that I'm a gaming geek, and that I couldn't find anything else to nitpick.

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
WGB   06-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Amon Wrote:So what did everyone think about these new developments? Jonah Stevens sure got around and the oDNA was very intriguing. If people like Jonah and even Jack are loaded with this oDNA then does this mean they're descendant from beings from the Otherness? Furthermore, from what side of the family could Jack have gotten all his oDNA from? His father's or his mother's, or maybe both? Jack has always possessed a pocket of darkness inside him that tends to cloud the sides of his vision whenever he truly gets angry, and now I guess we know why.

Question: Is all oDNA a product of the Otherness, or could some also be a product of the Ally? If that's the case, then could there be a slim possibility that Jack could be a descendant of Glaeken or maybe even Rasalom? That's probably presumptuous, but it's definitely something to think about.

All in all, this was another fantastic plot and story. I especially loved the tension created by the fact that Jack has yet to tell Gia that the "accident" that almost took her and Vicky's life, and killed her unborn child, was no accident. I can't imagine how she'll react when she finally finds out.

Finally, I presume that the old man that's been spying on Jack is Glaeken?

Anyway, with all the loose ends from this book waiting to be tied up, the next book ought to be a real milestone.

Yes. oDNA. Everyone’s got it, just the trigger that is missing in some people. And with Jack’s super concentration you can’t help but believe that he could closely be related to someone special. Since Rasalom has been traceable since the days of Vlad the Impaleier, I believe he will turn out to be maybe Glaeken’s grandson on his mother’s side. Remember, he was chosen from birth to become the heir. It was his strong connection that was broken with his mother that turned him into Repairman Jack to begin with. Glaeken has been keeping an eye on him for some time and Jack only has one living relative, an Uncle on his mother’s side.
Who will the baby turn out to be? Unless FPW completely revise’s Nightworld, nobody. If the time line had not already been locked in I would say Danny Gordon, but that would put Vicky at 17 or so at the time of Nightworld. While it will be interesting to see where this is going with the otherness baby, it can’t go far. Jonah’s plan didn’t work because in Nightworld Carol and Jimmy’s interaction is clear.
The Kicker Man, what is it, WHO is it. I think that is the question. Could it be the 4 armed final form of Rasalom? Could it be Glaeken or even Jack kicking Rasalom’s a$$? I definitely believe that the kicker man or symbol is the main carry over into the remaining books.
I also believe that Jack and Glaeken will meet in the park in the next book during one of Jack’s annual park-a-thons and further lock in the time line that will mark the very sad ending of the RJ series.
Amon   06-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I guess it all amounts to what the Q'qr is. Damn, if only the Compendium of Srem was a real tome, I'd love to take a peek at it. Big Grin

In any event, Jack felt a twinge of familiarity whenever he saw the Kicker icon. How does it connect to him? I'm wracking my brain for a clue, but I just can't come up with anything. I'm sure we'll find out in the next book.

BTW, I can't help but think that the whole thing with Hank pushing his book in which he writes about his years of drug-addiction and his outlandish brushes with the law was a subtle reference to James Frey. Could be wrong, but that's how it looked.
Dave F   06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
nijimeijer Wrote:Like Infernal was to Harbingers, I felt this book will be to the next one. Kind of a "part one of two" set. It introduced new concepts and characters and situations that I imagine will be resolved (somewhat at least) in the next book. That said, I enjoyed it a great deal. I enjoyed the new story elements as well as the addition to the mythology of the F. Pauliverse.

My only issue was that Jeremy owned both a Wii and a Gamecube. The Wii is fully backwards compatible; he doesn't need that Gamecube anymore! Big Grin Of course, saying that only shows that I'm a gaming geek, and that I couldn't find anything else to nitpick.

Hehe he didn't have a Wii in the arc - it was my one suggestion, to bring the guys machines upto date

Not sure if I prompted the inclusion of the Wii, FPW may have already added, but I felt a gaming addict would have the latest machines

Off to play on PS3 now ............................................
This post was last modified: 06-23-2007, 03:51 PM by Dave F.

The artist formally known as Britfan
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-24-2007, 08:50 PM
nijimeijer Wrote:Like Infernal was to Harbingers, I felt this book will be to the next one. Kind of a "part one of two" set. It introduced new concepts and characters and situations that I imagine will be resolved (somewhat at least) in the next book. That said, I enjoyed it a great deal. I enjoyed the new story elements as well as the addition to the mythology of the F. Pauliverse.

Here's one thing to nitpick. When Jack goes into the B&N (hilarious scene!), he's--and I =believe= it was Jack, not the omniscient narrartor--thinks that Broadway runs north and south where it doesn't. Broadway runs north/south from Union Square Park to 79th Street. It changes above and below those areas to a northeast direction. It doesn't seem that way on a map because when you look at Manhattan, you assume, naturally enough, the island is straight north/south. Ain't the case. Check out any geological map.
This post was last modified: 06-24-2007, 08:52 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
crimson   06-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Some things I'd like to see come to light:

Who's behind the mysterious agency of the Creighton Institute? Does it have Otherness ties?

Jack actually sit down and read the Compendium of Srem.

I'd like to see where Hank and the Kickers will fit in.

Is Dawn's baby a means for Rasalom to reach his full strength? According to the book there's only 1 year till the Nightworld events begin.

But enough of my ramblings. It was a great book! The only bad thing was finishing it so fast and the long wait ahead for the next book. Keep up the good work Paul!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-25-2007, 11:04 PM
crimson Wrote:Some things I'd like to see come to light:

Who's behind the mysterious agency of the Creighton Institute? Does it have Otherness ties?

Jack actually sit down and read the Compendium of Srem.

I'd like to see where Hank and the Kickers will fit in.

Is Dawn's baby a means for Rasalom to reach his full strength? According to the book there's only 1 year till the Nightworld events begin.

But enough of my ramblings. It was a great book! The only bad thing was finishing it so fast and the long wait ahead for the next book. Keep up the good work Paul!

Crimson, you bring up an =excellent= point, one that hadn't occurred to me: are elements of the US (and all) governments actively working for Rasalom? How deep does the grip of the Otherness reach?
Susan   07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
This post comes in two parts. The first one has no spoilers, but the second one is only for people who have read the novel already.

NON-SPOILER REVIEW

I finished reading Bloodline this past weekend. I enjoyed it a great deal. It is probably my favorite of the later Repairman Jack novels.

Great bad guys, terrific foreshadowing of what's to come in Nightworld and lots more questions too.

I highly recommend it. Of course, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir!

And now for part deux....

SPOILERS
I thought the Bolton character was a terrific bad guy. Loved his southern accent and his sick devotion to his daddy. Paul, you did a bang up job with that hick dialogue! Honestly, as disturbed as he was, I was sorry to see him go. And what a WAY to go! Holy cow! LOLOL! Don't know how the "get offed by Jack" contest could make the death any worse than that.

I'm still so fascinated by the Srem book. I want to know more about it and how it fits with the Kickers and Hank.

In the outline that came with the limited edition of Bloodline, Paul says the Kicker symbol definitely means something. I wonder when we'll find out exactly what that something is.

One of my favorite scenes is at the end when Dawn is ready to commit suicide and a man (we first think it's Jack) talks her out of jumping and talks her into getting in his car. But it's not Jack, it's Rasalom! That badass knows how to make an entrance. I loved how the car windows darkened when she got in and how when he stroked her cheek it made her very, very sleepy.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Ahem, anyway... Excellent novel!

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
BK Akitas   07-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Susan Wrote:I'm still so fascinated by the Srem book. I want to know more about it and how it fits with the Kickers and Hank.

In the outline that came with the limited edition of Bloodline, Paul says the Kicker symbol definitely means something. I wonder when we'll find out exactly what that something is.

Susan

POSSIBLE SPOILERS.......

when some people get a 'psychic vibaration'; it's a visions. others just seem to hear things or know..so to me its obvious that Kicker and Q'qr are one and the same., and I agree with an earlier post that the Q'qr/pronounced Kicker is indeed the What that our obvious Who is going to morph into in Nightworld.

so onto the baby, is this the Anakin of the FPW world? a lightning rod of power that the post Nightworld masses will flock to for guidance (now, this R, is only I can turn her.....EEEEEEEvvvvvviiiiiiiiilllllllllllll). maybe she'll grow at a really astonishing rate (we have what now, a year, less???) and someone will give her a puppy......

and the Kickers may not be wiling to take their marching orders from ole Rassyface. Hank told them to get Dawn, they have thousands of Kickers looking, and when they get a lead on her they may act. Semmelee didn't want to be a team player either so the Otherness isn't in as much control as Rassyface likes to think.

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
Pages (8): 1 2 3 4 5 8