Maggers   05-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I loved this dark, violent and unusual film. Helen Mirren and Cuba Gooding, Jr. star and they both are terrific. Helen Mirren seldom hits a wrong note in anything, and she doesn't here, either, even playing a professional assassin. In Shadowboxer, Mirren has a deep, life long relationship with Cuba Gooding, Jr., and because of his early life experiences, Gooding's character is akin to Dexter, though without Dexter's sense of humor.

People seem to either hate this movie or love it. Some have said it's over the top, unrealistic, silly or even stupid. I disagree wholeheartedly. As I was watching, I said this director must be gay, and I mean that as high praise. Few hetero directors use color as gay men will. Certainly, few hetero directors use as many drag queens scattered throughout the movie in tiny roles. I loved it all.

But please don't get me wrong. This is by no means a gay film. There is just a different sensibility and a different take on the world that comes from a different point of view.

I don't want to give away plot points. If you like the offbeat, if you can tolerate situational film violence, if you like a film filled with tension and a sense of awful foreboding, if you enjoy an unusual story, good acting, and quirky characters with exceptional relationships, do check out "Shadowboxer."

I saw this on Showtime On Demand. It's available on DVD, too.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

law dawg   05-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Maggers Wrote:I loved this dark, violent and unusual film. Helen Mirren and Cuba Gooding, Jr. star and they both are terrific. Helen Mirren seldom hits a wrong note in anything, and she doesn't here, either, even playing a professional assassin. In Shadowboxer, Mirren has a deep, life long relationship with Cuba Gooding, Jr., and because of his early life experiences, Gooding's character is akin to Dexter, though without Dexter's sense of humor.

People seem to either hate this movie or love it. Some have said it's over the top, unrealistic, silly or even stupid. I disagree wholeheartedly. As I was watching, I said this director must be gay, and I mean that as high praise. Few hetero directors use color as gay men will. Certainly, few hetero directors use as many drag queens scattered throughout the movie in tiny roles. I loved it all.

But please don't get me wrong. This is by no means a gay film. There is just a different sensibility and a different take on the world that comes from a different point of view.

I don't want to give away plot points. If you like the offbeat, if you can tolerate situational film violence, if you like a film filled with tension and a sense of awful foreboding, if you enjoy an unusual story, good acting, and quirky characters with exceptional relationships, do check out "Shadowboxer."

I saw this on Showtime On Demand. It's available on DVD, too.
Thanks Maggers! I'll look for this one.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.