Pages (2):    1 2
Ken Valentine   07-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Who? Me? Yes. On this board, I am Gaijin! Big Grin

Big Grin No-no-no.

I was trying to thing of a word that came close to barbarian.

Must have Doofed. But that's understandable. I'm descended from a long line of doofuses. I'm a doofus on my mothers side, don't you know. When the ancesters came over from Bohemia or Moravia or where-ever, they brought their doofusness with them in little hand-made wicker baskets. Yes they did, they did, they really did. Yep.

Ken Doofus-V. XXI
Ken Valentine   07-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Blake Wrote:This is one of my favorite movies, and I have to add that the score by Basil Poledouris is AMAZING. That's a soundtrack CD that I can listen to without the movie as though it was a symphony. Just gorgeous, and for my money, one of the greatest film scores ever recorded.

Blake

The two most impressive -- and memorable -- scores I have heard in recent years are from the movies Quigly Down Under, and Jungle Book. Both by Basil Poledoris.

Looks like I'll have to rent this movie.

Ken V.
Kenji   07-09-2004, 08:09 AM
fpw Wrote:And Sandahl Bergman -- yow.

Oh, and....please don't forget Maco. He is legendary Japanese actor.
Mike Hanson   12-06-2004, 02:24 PM
I don't know if a DVD version of this movie even exists..or, if so, if its in widescreen or fullscreen. I had to rent it on vhs to watch it last year.

I think it is a fantastic and vastly underrated movie with a brilliant performance by Vincent Donofrio (sp?), one that was more than worthy of an oscar nod.

In fact, the movie was so good that I special ordered the non-fiction book it was based on, ONE WHO WALKED ALONE by Novalyne Price. It gives a much fuller and more detailed background to Novalyne herself, and much more insight (some of it rather harsh) into her on-again off-again friendship with writer Robert E. Howard.

You should really read the book "after" you see the movie.

Mike Smile
Biggles   12-06-2004, 06:52 PM
fpw Wrote:"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you got to ask yourself one question... Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Classic! The first .44 Magnum I ever shot was my brother's Model 29 S&W with the 8-3/8" barrel. Awesome! That got me addicted to magnums, although I still prefer medium calibre weapons that can be fired quickly and accurately from deep concealment. Still, the .44 Mag is a great hunting handgun for deer and boar.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Biggles   12-06-2004, 06:56 PM
the Oracle Wrote:Chick flick.

(;

If you want them to go see a guy flick, you gotta go see your share of "chick flicks", and quite honestly, some are quite good. Example: "Sleepless in Seattle". I loved that movie. Didn't cry at the end though...I swear...It was my allergies, Dammit!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Gerald Rice   12-07-2004, 10:28 AM
fpw Wrote:I watched/listened to Conan the Barbarian last night with the Milius/Arnold commentary track. I learned a lot.

I’ve always liked the film – I think they did a great job of recreating Howard’s ancient world – but I was especially impressed by how much thought went into the imagery: the title sequence of a steel bar being hammered into a weapon is followed by a sequence in which a boy is fashioned into a human weapon.

And I like that it’s a movie-movie (i.e., you can watch it with the sound off and still know most of what’s going on).

Have you seen the Austrian guy who is a near match for Arnold? His name is Roland Kickinger and he's actually playing Arnold in a movie called 'See Arnold Run'. I had heard Arnold was supposed to be doing a sequel to Total Recall. And what's wrong with T3? I thought it was great.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452199/
jimbow8   12-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Gerald Rice Wrote:Have you seen the Austrian guy who is a near match for Arnold? His name is Roland Kickinger and he's actually playing Arnold in a movie called 'See Arnold Run'. I had heard Arnold was supposed to be doing a sequel to Total Recall. And what's wrong with T3? I thought it was great.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452199/
That's the guy from Son of the Beach! ROTFLMAO!!! Big Grin

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Gerald Rice   12-07-2004, 10:59 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:That's the guy from Son of the Beach! ROTFLMAO!!! Big Grin

That's right! I didn't say anything because I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. Lyla Arcieri is byootiful.
Mick C.   12-14-2004, 05:29 PM
CONAN THE BARBARIAN remains one of my favorite films. I bought the DVD and enjoyed the commentary track, too. It sounds like Milius and Schwarzenegger shared a couple of 6-packs before doing the commentary.

Sandahl Bergman...*S*I*G*H... She was the "It" girl for me in the 1980s. I remember the cover of Esquire she did (just a shot of her muscular back) in the late 1970s. And her dance scene in ALL THAT JAZZ...Crikey!

Amazing how many special effects shots in CONAN were old-fashioned glass mattes, where the camera filmed through a sheet of glass with a distant city painted on it or an enhancement of a small set. They still look very good in these CGI days.

Fantastic score, great cast - James Earl Jones, Mako, Franco Columbu (in a cameo as a Pict), surfing champ Gerry Lopez...very cool that one of my favorite actors, Bill Smith, played Conan's father. Milius has used him a lot (he was the Spetsnaz commander in RED DAWN), and he was in umpteen spaghetti westerns and even more biker flicks as well as LAREDO. He was the bareknuckle boxer Clint Eastwood fought at the end of ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN, and was in the bizarre AIP biker/Vietnam flick THE LOSERS (Hells Angels sent to Vietnam to rescue a diplomat taken as a POW - very bizarre!)

THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD was very good. I read D'Onofrio researched Howard and tried to incorporate little touches, like how Howard always wore the cuffs of his pants cut high so he wouldn't trip on them in any projected fight with the numerous "enemies" with which his mind populated his hometown. It was also neat that there was a mention of H.P. Lovecraft in the film - since it was marketed as a love story, I doubt most of the target audience would catch the reference, so it was nice of them to throw it in.

L. Sprague de Camp did a biography of Robert E. Howard that I would recommend to anyone who liked the movie - I think the title was "Dark Valley Destiny".

I watched BRAVEHEART the other day, which has always seemed to me like a well-filmed Robert E. Howard story - one of the many historical short pieces he did with Irish or Scottish or Pictish protagonists fighting an invading, occupying army of Romans or Brits. The battle scenes, especially, had a Howardian flair to them, as did Gibson's portrayal of Wallace.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Pages (2):    1 2