Maggers   02-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Two big thumbs up for Pedro Almodovar's "Volver." I don't know of any man who gets inside the head of women better than Almovodar. He loves women, unabashedly and joyously and with respect. And what I love most about Almodovar's films is that women can get away with killing bad men who've done bad things to women.

Almodovar also gives great credit to fantasy and superstition and the hold they can have over entire towns. His point of view is just so different and colorful, full of life and full of questions. He always takes me places I've never been and never would have a chance to go.

Penelope Cruz is nominated for Best Actress for "Volver." She's very good, as are all the remarkable women in this wonderful ensemble. But, she still won't beat "The Queen."

I doubt many people here will see "Volver," but it is another Almodovar gem.
This post was last modified: 02-13-2007, 01:15 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

saynomore   02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Maggers Wrote:Two big thumbs up for Pedro Almodovar's "Volver." I don't know of any man who gets inside the head of women better than Almovodar. He loves women, unabashedly and joyously and with respect. And what I love most about Almodovar's films is that women can get away with killing bad men who've done bad things to women.

Almodovar also gives great credit to fantasy and superstition and the hold they can have over entire towns. His point of view is just so different and colorful, full of life and full of questions. He always takes me places I've never been and never would have a chance to go.

Penelope Cruz is nominated for Best Actress for "Volver." She's very good, as are all the remarkable women in this wonderful ensemble. But, she still won't beat "The Queen."

I doubt many people here will see "Volver," but it is another Almodovar gem.

Don't be put off by the subtitles, folks. This is Almodovar at his best. And the nice thing about knowing Spanish, there's a layer to the movie that subtitles just can't capture, but as I said, don't be put off by the subtitles. And don't watch any dubbed version, either.

Simply put: Learn Spanish.

Some of the best movies out there right now are in Spanish and you lose much of the subtlety of the language when you rely on subtitles.

End of mini-tirade.

AC

P.S. Forgot to mention: See this movie, then go rent Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (widescreen! as the full screen cuts off the edges and there are some very nice shots that are cut off in the full screen version).
Maggers   02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down
All About My Mother
High Heels
and the absolutely extraordinary "Talk to Her"

Almodovar is a genius. Love, love, love, his movies. And Saynomore is right; they must be seen either in Spanish or with subtitles. Dubbing stinks.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd