Gerald Rice   06-28-2004, 03:19 PM
I saw this a week ago and I have to give it to him: Ben Kingsley is the man. This was a great film (Jennifer Connelly semi-nude at almost every turn didn't hurt, either) about a woman who is mistakenly evicted from her home and then an Iranian family buys it at auction. It plays on the misconceptions between foreign and American cultures about each other without becoming preachy. Ben Kingsley is supporting a lifestyle he can't afford with (at least) two jobs before he jumps at the opportunity to buy a house he finds in the newspaper. Jennifer Connelly is depressed because her husband left her and for 8 months doesn't answer her mail (including several notices for eviction). She sees a lawyer about getting her house back and hilarity ensues. Ben Kingsley seems to be on emotional cruise control until a pivotal scene near the end that will leave you convinced (for the few seconds 'it' is going on) that he is really experiencing what's going on on screen.
jimbow8   06-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:Jennifer Connelly semi-nude at almost every turn didn't hurt, either
Its added to the queue.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Sam   06-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Been wondering if this movie was worth renting!! I look at it every time I go to the video store but pass on it for something "more promising". Thanks Gerald!! BTW Kingsley has always been great. I've heard he's incredible in Sexy Beast. Caught that one yet?
Susan   06-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Gerald Rice Wrote:I saw this a week ago and I have to give it to him: Ben Kingsley is the man.

It was excellent. I highly recommend it.

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche