Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Susan   03-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:This looks like it will be very entertaining. Plus, it has the added bonus of a RJ board member in the movie....

Huh? There's an RJ board member in the movie? Or are you yanking my chain?

Dude, I need an answer!

Susanita

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
Maggers   03-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Susan Wrote:Huh? There's an RJ board member in the movie? Or are you yanking my chain?

Dude, I need an answer!

Susanita

Andrew Pleavin, who was in Dave's "Lippidleggin'."

http://imdb.com/name/nm0687091/

I don't know him, but isn't he known on the board as Dalt?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

GeraldRice   03-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Whoa, a sequel to House on Haunted Hill? I love that movie!

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Susan   03-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Maggers Wrote:Andrew Pleavin, who was in Dave's "Lippidleggin'."

http://imdb.com/name/nm0687091/

I don't know him, but isn't he known on the board as Dalt?

Oh cool! Thanks for clearing that up, Maggers!

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
law dawg   03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Loved the movie for its visuals. What a beautiful movie.

I do wish it was more true to the history as known. There was a little too much "go it alone in a ballet of death" instead of working in a phalanx. But those are minor quibbles over all.

End grade A-.

Can't wait for Gates of Fire movie, which is better source material in my opinion that Miller's 300 (although I love Miller (Batman : The Dark Knight Returns - 'nuff said)). Its a better story and more true to what we know of the event.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Sigokat   03-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I thought it was a good movie overall. Yes the visuals were stunning and the comic book essence was not so overbearing as to make it unbelivable or annoying.

A critic on NPR called it a movie for arm-chair warriors, which I must say, I have to agree with for the most part. The action/violence seemed to inspire video-game bloodlust in the other men in the theater...men that were obviously not in the military and probably know little to nothing about the Spartans or combat in general.

The only problem I had with the movie was the way they attempted to portray the Spartans as such great and noble warriors. Yes they were, but their child-rearing methods and specific selection process seemed almost as evil as the Persians. Now, I'm not an expert on Sparta history so I don't know if that was accurate or comic book flare. If anyone knows I'd love to hear it.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

But overall, one of the better movies I've seen in a very long time.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Maggers   03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I just saw "300" and loved it. Great story, great visuals, great characters, and, yes, I've got to say it, great BODIES! OMG, I know they worked their butts off, quite literally, to train for the film, and boy, does it show. Those little leather Speedos they wore were the ulitmate in costuming. Magnificent visuals, indeed! Big Grin

As for the harsher aspects of Spartan life, I suspect many ancient (and maybe not so ancient) cultures put their invalid infants down. It wasn't just Sparta.

Oh, and our own board member, Andrew Pleavin, aka Dalt, had a big role and was terrific!
This post was last modified: 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
sigokat Wrote:I thought it was a good movie overall. Yes the visuals were stunning and the comic book essence was not so overbearing as to make it unbelivable or annoying.

A critic on NPR called it a movie for arm-chair warriors, which I must say, I have to agree with for the most part. The action/violence seemed to inspire video-game bloodlust in the other men in the theater...men that were obviously not in the military and probably know little to nothing about the Spartans or combat in general.

The only problem I had with the movie was the way they attempted to portray the Spartans as such great and noble warriors. Yes they were, but their child-rearing methods and specific selection process seemed almost as evil as the Persians. Now, I'm not an expert on Sparta history so I don't know if that was accurate or comic book flare. If anyone knows I'd love to hear it.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

But overall, one of the better movies I've seen in a very long time.

Catch your point, Sig. Yeah, by our 21st Century standards, the Spartans were, in many ways, bugfuck nuts. But maybe you had to be to be among the 300 standing off the biggest army ever assembled on this planet. "Greeks! Our archers are so numerous their arrows darken the Sun!" "So much the better, slave. We'll fight in the shade!" I love that attitude, Sig. I cannot tell you how much I love it.
ccosborne3   03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
For the ladies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2t58CRmbU
This post was last modified: 03-26-2007, 05:36 PM by ccosborne3.
Maggers   03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
ccosborne3 Wrote:For the ladies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2t58CRmbU

ROFL! Fabulous and hilarious! I watched it 5 times and am sending it to friends. Oh, would that it could rain men like that! I can't get enough of that video. Ha!
This post was last modified: 03-26-2007, 05:51 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5