Tumak   10-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey all,

I read the Adversary Cycle years ago and loved it, and only recently discovered that there is now a RJ series. So I'm playing catch-up (I've read through Conspiracies), and I found this website. It has been a wealth of information. I've checked out the forums and FAQs, but some stuff doesn't appear to have been updated in a while, so I just wanted some quick confirmation on a couple of things:

Only The Tomb and NightWorld have been subjected to rewrites, correct? (I have the old editions of both, and am wondering if they are the only ones I need to re-acquire).

Although not yet widely available, the NightWorld rewrite is done? This suggests that in any RJ books to come, he's not going to learn anything new that would contradict what he knows in the rewrite (in the way that the first version of NightWorld now contains contradictions). Or will another NightWorld revision be necessary in a few years??

Thanks!
Lisa   10-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I believe that Reborn and Reprisal also underwent minor revisions/touchups, although not to the extent that Nightworld did.

Lisa
toasterdevil   10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
That is a question that has been bothering me as well. I understand that Nightworld has been rewritten but not yet released to the mass market. I also am aware the Mr. Wilson is still writing new Repairman Jack books, and finally I am aware that none of these books are to take place "post-Nightworld," so I'm curious as to how much more can happen to Jack between now and Nightworld without another rewrite being necessary. I have only read through The Haunted Air so maybe more becomes apparent as I go further in the series but it seems to me that by re-writing Nightworld now it limits the future of where RPJ can go and kind of stifles some of the surprises that might come up in the series from here on out....anybody know the plans on this?
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-01-2006, 10:23 PM
toasterdevil Wrote:That is a question that has been bothering me as well. I understand that Nightworld has been rewritten but not yet released to the mass market. I also am aware the Mr. Wilson is still writing new Repairman Jack books, and finally I am aware that none of these books are to take place "post-Nightworld," so I'm curious as to how much more can happen to Jack between now and Nightworld without another rewrite being necessary. I have only read through The Haunted Air so maybe more becomes apparent as I go further in the series but it seems to me that by re-writing Nightworld now it limits the future of where RPJ can go and kind of stifles some of the surprises that might come up in the series from here on out....anybody know the plans on this?

Here's the deal: after NIGHTWORLD, our little blue world is pretty much trashed. Paul thinks it best to stop the Jack saga there. I disagree, but who the fuck am I?
Tumak   10-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Here's the deal: after NIGHTWORLD, our little blue world is pretty much trashed. Paul thinks it best to stop the Jack saga there.
I understand this, as (it appears) does toasterdevil. We're not talking about after NIGHTWORLD. We're talking about between HARBINGERS and NIGHTWORLD.
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I disagree, but who the fuck am I?
Why, you're Bluesman Mike Lindner!Smile
Lisa   10-01-2006, 11:17 PM
As I understand it, Paul has the whole general RJ plotline mapped out, so when he revised Nightworld, he took that into consideration so that there would be no more contradictions.

This is also why the RJ books tend to contain more "Otherness" in them as they go along--to dovetail with the AC plotline, as the series sort of merge at the end.

Lisa
Tumak   10-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Lisa Wrote:I believe that Reborn and Reprisal also underwent minor revisions/touchups, although not to the extent that Nightworld did.

Lisa
Hmmm. How would you characterize the revisions to THE TOMB? Minor revisions/touchups? If the revisions are merely along the lines of deleting all references to Betamax and replacing them with TiVo, then I probably don't need to upgrade that one.

It seems the NIGHTWORLD revision must include more substantial changes that necessitate an upgrade, given the course of the RJ series. I assumed THE TOMB did as well, but perhaps not...
webby   10-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Tumak Wrote:Hmmm. How would you characterize the revisions to THE TOMB? Minor revisions/touchups? If the revisions are merely along the lines of deleting all references to Betamax and replacing them with TiVo, then I probably don't need to upgrade that one.

It seems the NIGHTWORLD revision must include more substantial changes that necessitate an upgrade, given the course of the RJ series. I assumed THE TOMB did as well, but perhaps not...

I'd say the revisions to The Tomb are indeed minor. There are no changes in the primary plot.

Nightworld changes are quite substantial. They particularly are changes that reference characters and events from the RJ books that did not exist when Nightworld was first written. Obviously, there are changes in Jack's awareness of the Otherness and so forth. The revised Nightworld should not be read without at least having read Harbingers first. If you can stand to wait, then the best bet is to wait until you have read all the RJ books leading up to Nightworld, including those yet to be published.

Hope this helps.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]