beowulf   03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
So I just bid on a copy of "The Keep." Now, I know FPW is not a fan of this interpretation of his book, but the curiosity is KILLING me, I have to see it. I need to know if it is as bad as he eludes to and if it matches any of the pictures on my head after reading the book.
Dave F   03-28-2007, 07:07 PM
beowulf Wrote:So I just bid on a copy of "The Keep." Now, I know FPW is not a fan of this interpretation of his book, but the curiosity is KILLING me, I have to see it. I need to know if it is as bad as he eludes to and if it matches any of the pictures on my head after reading the book.

Yes & No I think you will find!!!!!!!!!!!!

The artist formally known as Britfan
Auskar   03-28-2007, 08:40 PM
beowulf Wrote:So I just bid on a copy of "The Keep." Now, I know FPW is not a fan of this interpretation of his book, but the curiosity is KILLING me, I have to see it. I need to know if it is as bad as he eludes to and if it matches any of the pictures on my head after reading the book.
I read it a few months ago for the first time, but I saw the movie when it first came out. Basically, I couldn't follow the movie, but it does have lots of MOOD.
cobalt   03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I liked the movie. That movie was how I discovered FPW.....and the rest in history. Big Grin

EWMAN
Ken Valentine   03-28-2007, 11:16 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:I liked the movie. That movie was how I discovered FPW.....and the rest in history. Big Grin

I had read the book first, so I was very disappointed in the movie.

Ken V.
bones weep tedium   03-29-2007, 05:28 AM
I think it's a great movie, and watch it fairly regularly. The film is all but incomprehensible, but the lack of any coherent plot/story can create a dream like quality that you never know may have been intentional.

Visually there isn't much to fault; there are a couple of exceptionally well designed shots, and some breathtaking sequences. I think the film's depiction of Rasalom is brilliant, and avoids some of the more Hammer Horror, Christopher-Lee-in-a-toupee aspects of the novel. Scott Glenn makes a good Glaeken, he looks ancient and weary and tough all at the same time, though through Mann's lacklustre direction he does come across as slightly wooden most of the time. Big Grin The Keep itself is very well designed, and it is how I picture the Keep whenever I re-read the novel.

The story will disappoint you and the plot will confuse you, and the ending will surprise you (primarily because of the rather abrupt way it stops, as well as the liberties Mann took with the story) but not even being knowledgeable of the novel will help you. The film is simply nonsense if you try to follow it, but it is very atmospheric and beautiful nonsense!!