Scott Miller   05-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Another winner from the Allen drama stable. As always, the writing is razor sharp in this dark, pyschological thriller, but it was quite a departure in terms of subject matter and look from his previous films. I thought all the actors performed admirably and I couldn't help but project Jonathon Rhys Meyer and Scarlett Johanssen(Ooh La La) as Jack and Gia. Most definitely worth the rent.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
jacobm   05-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Sorry, I rented it and walked away about 30 minutes into the movie. Something about the way Rhys Myers delivers his lines...almost a little too much urgency at the end of each sentence it really got on my nerves...
Scott Miller   05-04-2006, 01:59 PM
jacobm Wrote:Sorry, I rented it and walked away about 30 minutes into the movie. Something about the way Rhys Myers delivers his lines...almost a little too much urgency at the end of each sentence it really got on my nerves...

No need to apologize. Different strokes for different folks.

Scott

Terry Willacker   05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Going to have to rent it if only for Scarlett Johanssen.
Scott Miller   05-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Terry Willacker Wrote:Going to have to rent it if only for Scarlett Johanssen.

You won't be disappointed; she's never looked more radiant.

Scott

Maggers   06-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I saw "Match Point" this weekend. I have to give it an overall thumb's down.

SPOILERS..........................

Throughout the movie I kept thinking, this is familiar. Guess I've seen a million movies about married men and pregnant and/or crazy mistresses, one of which was Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Then my friend saw it and said, what, Allen didn't credit "A Place in the Sun?" I got hysterical. "Match Point" bears a striking resemblance to Theodore Dreiser's story and George Steven's movie. The endings are different; Rhys Meyers does not have to pay the piper. But the films are similar.

I did not like Rhys Meyers. And while I generally love Scarlett Johansson, I wasn't crazy about her here. I think I am alone in this estimation; most people disagree.

I thought the first 3/4 of the film dragged and I nearly gave up. The final 1/4 does pick up and that's why I'm ambivalent about the movie.

But heavens to Betsy, those veddy, veddy rich Brits are a TOTAL bore.

Why is Woody doing London? His next movie, "Scoop," takes place in London and also stars Scarlett Johansson.
This post was last modified: 06-19-2006, 11:18 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd