Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
Ken Valentine   06-16-2004, 06:15 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I agree with the timeframe problems, but there are ways that a flood could overcome the east coast, I think. There is reason to believe for example that at some point in the past volcanic activity cause tidal waves to hit the coast of Australia and move pretty far inland. (I remember reading that years ago, but don't remember where.)

Maybe you're thinking of Krakatoa. An island off the coast of Indonesia which blew up somewhere back in the early 1880's.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   06-16-2004, 06:22 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I agree with the timeframe problems, but there are ways that a flood could overcome the east coast, I think. There is reason to believe for example that at some point in the past volcanic activity cause tidal waves to hit the coast of Australia and move pretty far inland. (I remember reading that years ago, but don't remember where.)

Here you go:

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Vocano1883Krakatoa.html

Ken V.
jimbow8   06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Krakatoa could have done it also. But I remember a History Channel or TLC show where scientists theorized one from the Hawaiian Islands. I would have been an ancient tidal wave (not recent history like Krakatoa) which would have cause much of the underwater topography off the coast of Australia.

Again, I can't site any sources, but they said a wave could travel that far.
Or maybe it was just postulated.
This post was last modified: 06-16-2004, 09:46 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   06-16-2004, 11:51 AM
If President Bush would see this movie, Does he reconsider about Kyoto protocol ?
Ken Valentine   06-16-2004, 12:07 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Krakatoa could have done it also. But I remember a History Channel or TLC show where scientists theorized one from the Hawaiian Islands. I would have been an ancient tidal wave (not recent history like Krakatoa) which would have cause much of the underwater topography off the coast of Australia.

Again, I can't site any sources, but they said a wave could travel that far.

There are a lot of factors involved in how far a wave can travel and what shape it will take:

Direction of the prevailing wind in relation to the direction of the wave.

Underwater currents.

Temperature gradients.

Bottom configuration.

It's a pretty complex subject, and I've seen enough weird things happen that I wouldn't doubt that something like what you reported was not just possible . . . but likely!

Ken V.
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4