Tempest   12-09-2005, 01:45 AM
I just got this book the other day, and I'm digging it. I'm not through with it yet, but here are my thoughts on some of the short stories I have read.

Faces: Loved it. A compelling story. Never before have I felt for a criminal like this.

A Day in the Life: Uhhh...its a Repairman Jack story. 'Nuff said.

Slasher: Again, I love the twists that this short story has.

Definitive Therapy: I have a soft spot for this story, mainly because I love anything having to do with Batman. Has anyone else read Batman: No Man's Land? I think thats the title of it. It is, besides this short story, the only place I have really felt the brutality thats at the core of who the Joker is. Also, this has one of my favorite quotes in it: ""But they can't" he said with another laugh. "Because I've been classified as insane! I'm not responsible. Isn't that wonderful? Oh, its so good to be mad in America. I can do unto others, but they can't do unto me!"" Completely true, and coming from someone like the Joker, completely chilling.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Scott Miller   12-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Tempest Wrote:I just got this book the other day, and I'm digging it. I'm not through with it yet, but here are my thoughts on some of the short stories I have read.

Great stuff. I prefer it to Soft and Others. Wait 'til you get to 'Pelts'.

Tempest Wrote:Has anyone else read Batman: No Man's Land? I think thats the title of it. It is, besides this short story, the only place I have really felt the brutality thats at the core of who the Joker is. Also, this has one of my favorite quotes in it: ""But they can't" he said with another laugh. "Because I've been classified as insane! I'm not responsible. Isn't that wonderful? Oh, its so good to be mad in America. I can do unto others, but they can't do unto me!"" Completely true, and coming from someone like the Joker, completely chilling.

I read both the comics version penned by numerous authors and the novel written by Greg Rucka. Of the two I liked the novel better as I found the comics to be a bit uneven and the stories didn't quite mesh.

For another utterly terrifying Joker story I recommend A Killing Joke by Alan Moore.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
jaybird   12-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I finished Barrens And Others not long ago. I bought it for further insight into the barrens. I liked most of the stories but, the Joker story, while it was interesting, it really didnt do much for me. Then, I was never into comics as a kid either.

:p A good horror story will keep you up at night