Pages (2):    1 2
Scott Miller   06-01-2004, 05:16 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
I agree totally with your description of this dazzling movie. And the Blues Dude beat me to the comparison to Barry Lyndon, which I found EQUALLY dazzling. May I invite others to add to this list of "beautiful" movies. Don't be shy or feel effeminite, you know there are just some movies where you can't tear your eyes from the screen. 1900 (correct me if I'm wrong about the title of this Burt Lancaster movie) was also such a dazzler.

Two documentaries I've watched recently qualify as gorgeous: Step Into Liquid and Winged Migration. SIL is about surfing and WM about the migratory patterns of birds. Both are sumptuous, and SIL has a kick-ass soundtrack as well.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Joe Konrath   06-02-2004, 03:17 PM
fpw Wrote:Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Every shot looks like a Vermeer painting. Stunning. And the story's not bad either.

Really? I thought it was your basic cheapo shot-on-video adult flick, complete with poor lighting and fake enthusiasm.

Oh, wait... I'm thinking of The Girl with the Pearl Necklace...

My bad.

J
Scott Miller   06-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Joe Konrath Wrote:Really? I thought it was your basic cheapo shot-on-video adult flick, complete with poor lighting and fake enthusiasm.

Oh, wait... I'm thinking of The Girl with the Pearl Necklace...

My bad.

J

You make me want to break out my ZZ Top collection.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
sandeedazey   07-26-2004, 07:10 PM
fpw Wrote:Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Every shot looks like a Vermeer painting. Stunning. And the story's not bad either.

Absolutly true. I rented it recently and was in love with the colors and the perfection of the shots. They did look like a Vermeer painting. I felt the ending was abrupt, I was thinking and?? and??! But I watched it again just for the beauty of it. Nice to see men who will look at movies like that. My husband pronounced it a "girl" movie and wasn't interested.

Sandee
Ken Valentine   07-27-2004, 12:37 AM
sandeedazey Wrote:Absolutly true. I rented it recently and was in love with the colors and the perfection of the shots. They did look like a Vermeer painting. I felt the ending was abrupt, I was thinking and?? and??! But I watched it again just for the beauty of it. Nice to see men who will look at movies like that. My husband pronounced it a "girl" movie and wasn't interested.

Sandee

I had never heard of it before.
I rented it on FPW's recommendation.
Then I bought it.
It looked like all the Dutch Masters had been brought to life . . . Steen, Vermeer, Van Rijn . . .

I in turn recommended it to a friend, and his wife, who happens to be a rather accomplished painter herself.

Ken - likes his "girl" movies - V.
XiaoYu   07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
I haven't seen 'Pearl Earring,' but I did think 'Hero' was much better than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon as Chinese movies go. It was still a bit too mystical-unbelievable with some of the martial arts, but it wasn't bad. Wish they'd tone down a bit and use some real gong-fu instead of CG and wires. The scene changes drowning in the vivid colors were visually nice, and I thought the plot was much deeper than most martial arts flicks; I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to China's next try and see if they can top Hero.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
Kenji   07-27-2004, 05:29 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:I haven't seen 'Pearl Earring,' but I did think 'Hero' was much better than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon as Chinese movies go. It was still a bit too mystical-unbelievable with some of the martial arts, but it wasn't bad. Wish they'd tone down a bit and use some real gong-fu instead of CG and wires. The scene changes drowning in the vivid colors were visually nice, and I thought the plot was much deeper than most martial arts flicks; I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to China's next try and see if they can top Hero.

I agree with you. Hero is awesome. Jet Li doesn't need CG, except The One.
Pages (2):    1 2