Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Lisa   11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
fpw Wrote:Too bad I don't drink.

ROTFL. You so funny.
Maggers   11-18-2005, 01:53 PM

Lisa Wrote:ROTFL. You so funny.

You know, I was going to say something about it must have been an evil twin with that jug of wine under the table at the WDW hotel bar.

But then I thought FPW just might be serious...just might be...NAW! And Lisa proved it. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   11-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Charleswg Wrote:Awesome- I love how books can/are woven together.
Now- if you had Jack's Dad serve in the same outfit as Earl Swagger did, I'd flip my lid.

In theory, Jacks dad, Tom, could have bumped into Sarge from "Nightkill." Sarge was a young marine sniper in "42" and Tom was a young marine sniper in "50". I've heard that snipers and infantry don't get along so they usually stay to their own groups. Given that Sarge is a military man, and probably in it for as long as he could, he could have even trained Tom how to shoot. They say alot of the same things in their books. Like when they are both asked about being a sniper, They both say, "Don't say it like it's a dirty word."
They both quit counting kills at 50.
Sarge could even be in one of those black and white photos Tom kept in the locked box.

KRW
Susan   11-18-2005, 09:44 PM

That's right. You just marinate your internal organs in alcohol. That's different! It's like cooking, or pickling...

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
Ken Valentine   11-19-2005, 01:46 AM
KRW Wrote:In theory, Jacks dad, Tom, could have bumped into Sarge from "Nightkill." Sarge was a young marine sniper in "42" and Tom was a young marine sniper in "50". I've heard that snipers and infantry don't get along so they usually stay to their own groups. Given that Sarge is a military man, and probably in it for as long as he could, he could have even trained Tom how to shoot. They say alot of the same things in their books. Like when they are both asked about being a sniper, They both say, "Don't say it like it's a dirty word."
They both quit counting kills at 50.
Sarge could even be in one of those black and white photos Tom kept in the locked box.

Considering the kind of person that "Sarge" turned out to be -- and the kind of man Tom was -- he could have been in the part of the photo that was torn off.

Tom did it because he had too, Sarge liked it.

Ken V.
t4terrific   11-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Considering the kind of person that "Sarge" turned out to be -- and the kind of man Tom was -- he could have been in the part of the photo that was torn off.

Ken V.

I've just been informed (in reference to the character "Sarge" in Doom) that a Marine may never be refered to as "Sarge". Supposedly them's fightin words in the Corps, and are never accepted in real life.

I have no knowledge of these things, but A few ex Jarheads let me in on that bit of trivia.
Ken Valentine   11-19-2005, 05:08 AM
t4terrific Wrote:I've just been informed (in reference to the character "Sarge" in Doom) that a Marine may never be refered to as "Sarge". Supposedly them's fightin words in the Corps, and are never accepted in real life.

I have no knowledge of these things, but A few ex Jarheads let me in on that bit of trivia.

That may be something relatively new. My father was a sargent in the Marines in WWII. It never bothered him. I also have a good friend whose name was Seargeant . . . although, when he was in the military, he was a Captain. Big Grin

Ken V.
Blake   11-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:I also have a good friend whose name was Seargeant . . . although, when he was in the military, he was a Captain. Big Grin

I think I saw that routine in the movie Airplane. Big Grin

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Ken Valentine   11-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Blake Wrote:I think I saw that routine in the movie Airplane. Big Grin

I don't know about the movie Airplane, but my friend was a Captain in the Air Force.

Ken V.
KRW   11-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Considering the kind of person that "Sarge" turned out to be -- and the kind of man Tom was -- he could have been in the part of the photo that was torn off.

Ken V.

That goes along with my thinking, but the photo that was torn was just the corner where the plaque was. Maybe it said something with Seargent Nacht on it. Sarge was probably pissed Tom earned a siver star and he didn't and his true self came out and offended Tom so much, he discarded all photos with Sarge and tore the corner of the picture that had Sarges name on it.
Long shot I'm sure.
Side note, wasn't your dad a sniper in the early 40's? Did he shoot the Garand M1C?

KRW
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4