Ossicle   11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Hello,

This is fading news, and probably received enough national coverage that most of you are aware of it, but in case anyone's interested and didn't know, there was a terrible incident in Long Island a year ago where a woman driving a car was severely injured when a teen driving with other teens in a car ahead of hers threw a frozen turkey that went through her windshield, severely injuring and somewhat disfiguring her.

The subsequent trial was very dramatic, as the kid turned out to be a very weak-willed "follower" type who had been trying to be cool in order to earn a little of his peers' esteem, and (much more affectingly) when the victim requested a light sentence for him so that he could get on with his life, hopefully having learned something. That summary doesn't do justice to how moving and interesting the story, and the woman's words, were.

Anyway, here's a couple of cursory articles, from when the incident first happened, and after the sentencing last month:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6520848
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7279844/did/9744711

-o
Maggers   11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I saw that. The local news here followed it closely. I, too, thought immediately of Jack and his mom. The difference in this case was the frozen turkey was thrown from car to car, if I'm not mistaken.

I was moved when I heard the woman, who had to go through multiple operations to have her face restored, forgive the kid and ask for leniency. Quite amazing.

Ossicle, where in NYC are you? I'm in Manhattan.
This post was last modified: 11-13-2005, 12:36 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Paul R   11-12-2005, 06:42 AM
I don't know about you guys Over There, but here in Sunny England, you do, from time to time, hear about low-lifes throwing bricks and stones and suchlike from bridges to cars passing below.
I always think about Jack and his mother and I always think that someone should exact that sort of revenge on these.... (struggles and fails to find an appropriate word to describe these people.)
Medusa   11-12-2005, 10:49 PM
A few years back we also had a case in Houston where a mother was killed due to a cinderblock being dropped off an overpass. I can't remember if they ever caught the ones who did it. But I do remember that when it happened I prayed that somewhere out there was a "Jack" to avenge her death. Maybe that makes me too vengeful but back then all I could think about what those kids waiting for their mom to come home and she never did. I tell you, its got to be a sick individual who would do something like that.
mike36799   11-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I don't know where kids getting off doing this kind of crap. Seems like the overpass has always been a problem. It was in that movie Goodson, in RJ book, and it's happens.

One of RJ times I can remember is Cindy Broaddus. I had to look it up on net to remember, but this lady had a jar of acid thrown onto her car, which scarred her face. I think she was on Dr. Phill, fpppt! I mean as if I would watch that show....News Article
mike36799   11-13-2005, 04:46 PM
mike36799 Wrote:I don't know where kids getting off doing this kind of crap. Seems like the overpass has always been a problem. It was in that movie Goodson, in RJ book, and it's happens.

One of RJ times I can remember is Cindy Broaddus. I had to look it up on net to remember, but this lady had a jar of acid thrown onto her car, which scarred her face. I think she was on Dr. Phill, fpppt! I mean as if I would watch that show....News Article
Oops, had company over in middle, she also wrote a book on her experience, check it out.
Ossicle   11-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Maggers Wrote:Ossicle, where in NYC are you? I'm in Manhattan.
Sorry, Maggers! I wasn't ignoring you, I went away for a few days. Right now I live about 50 miles north of Manhattan, in Dutchess County, but (i) I work in Manhattan every day and (ii) will probably be moving back here sometime in the next few months. We should grab a(n) [acceptable Maggers beverage]!

-Oss