Weatherford   02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Play Misty for Me was Clint Eastwood's directorial debut - I saw it for the first time the other night, and wow - what an excellent movie! Could have been Hitchcock. It doesn't show its age (1971) - except perhaps in the screaming and hairstyles... it is a taut thriller - one of the first, if not the first, movie about stalking.

I recommend it - regardless of your admiration or lack thereof of Eastwood.

It now sits on the shelf next to Branagh's Dead Again - which is one of my all-time favorite thrillers.
Maggers   02-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Weatherford Wrote:Play Misty for Me was Clint Eastwood's directorial debut - I saw it for the first time the other night, and wow - what an excellent movie! Could have been Hitchcock. It doesn't show its age (1971) - except perhaps in the screaming and hairstyles... it is a taut thriller - one of the first, if not the first, movie about stalking....

I totally agree. What a debut for a first time director! I saw it in the theater in '71. I was on the edge of my seat and screamed a few times myself. I've seen it since and found it as unsettling as it was back then.

Jessica Walter was creepily terrific, and to think 30+ years later she is equally fabulous as nutsy mother Lucille in "Arrested Development."

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   02-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Weatherford Wrote:Play Misty for Me was Clint Eastwood's directorial debut - I saw it for the first time the other night, and wow - what an excellent movie! Could have been Hitchcock. It doesn't show its age (1971) - except perhaps in the screaming and hairstyles... it is a taut thriller - one of the first, if not the first, movie about stalking.

I recommend it - regardless of your admiration or lack thereof of Eastwood.

Yes, indeed. "PLay Misty For Me" is one of my favorite Eastwood's films. I have DVD. I think this is basics of "Fatal Attraction". Both were great films, but I prefer "PLay Misty For Me". Jessica Walter freaked me out!

Also, Clint Eastwood did appearances in another good thriller movie, The Beguiled. Directed by Don Siegel. Last sequences were unforgettable.

Quote:It now sits on the shelf next to Branagh's Dead Again - which is one of my all-time favorite thrillers.

Oh, I like this one too. I saw it in a theater.