Pages (2): 1 2   
IanSF   10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I've only recently been introduced to F Paul Wilson by a colleague and friend at work. I can't remember the last time I've been so captivated by an author or a character.
Although my tastes are more towards Sci-Fi and Fantasy, particularly the darker variety, I'd never found the Horror genre exactly appealing.
We were discussing book to film adaptations and this was when my friend mentioned he was eagerly awaiting a film about 'Repairman Jack' but was worried about another debacle like 'The Keep', as he is a fan of FPW and RJ in particular.
I was intrigued. Who is this character? What are the books like? He loaned me Conspiracies, All The Rage and Hosts. I was hooked and since August there ensued a 'feeding frenzy'. I scoured eBay and Amazon's used books and managed to get all of the Adversary Cycle and more of the RJ series.
I'm now waiting for The Haunted Air to be delivered. I should have it by the end of the week and I can hardly bear it. Just to keep me from climbing the walls I'm reading 'The Foundation'.
Medusa   10-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the board! And yes, it is very easy to get hooked on Repairman Jack and the others. But why stop there? Check out some other FPW books. Sims is one of my favorites!
Pleiades   10-24-2005, 08:25 PM
And try Black Wind. It's been discussed in another thread on the Forum. It's really a great book. FPW's work on that one just draws you into the story, and I found myself accepting what happens as real, as history.

BTW -- after you read the Adversay Cycle, and all the RJ books, read them again. You'll pick up all sorts of inter-relations and connections that you missed the first time. Look for those things in other FPW books as well. E.g., in Sibs, some characters go to Julio's bar (Jack's hangout) for the evening.

Enjoy - you'll be glad to be here.

You really only need three things: WD-40, Duct Tape, and a pointy stick. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD-40. If it moves and isn't supposed to, use the Duct Tape. If you want it to move and it doesn't want to, use the pointy stick. The rest of life is easy.
IanSF   10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
I definitely don't intend to limit myself. As I said, my first love is Sci-Fi so I'll be looking out for 'Masque', 'Sims' and 'The LaNague Chronicles' is definitely on my Christmas list. I'd like to get some of the short story collections too.
I'm pretty much caught up in 'The Foundation' (aka 'The Select'). I find myself daydreaming instead of working, wondering what's going to happen next.
Lisa   10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Welcome, Ian! FPW's scifi is my favorite of his works. I bet you'll enjoy it too. Smile Also look for Dydeetown World and The Tery... they all tie together in a loose-ish way.

Lisa
t4terrific   10-24-2005, 11:37 PM
IanSF Wrote:I've only recently been introduced to F Paul Wilson by a colleague and friend at work. I can't remember the last time I've been so captivated by an author or a character.
Although my tastes are more towards Sci-Fi and Fantasy, particularly the darker variety, I'd never found the Horror genre exactly appealing.
We were discussing book to film adaptations and this was when my friend mentioned he was eagerly awaiting a film about 'Repairman Jack' but was worried about another debacle like 'The Keep', as he is a fan of FPW and RJ in particular.
I was intrigued. Who is this character? What are the books like? He loaned me Conspiracies, All The Rage and Hosts. I was hooked and since August there ensued a 'feeding frenzy'. I scoured eBay and Amazon's used books and managed to get all of the Adversary Cycle and more of the RJ series.
I'm now waiting for The Haunted Air to be delivered. I should have it by the end of the week and I can hardly bear it. Just to keep me from climbing the walls I'm reading 'The Foundation'.

Thank God for good recommendations!!!
Paul R   10-25-2005, 04:16 AM
IanSF Wrote:I've only recently been introduced to F Paul Wilson by a colleague and friend at work. I can't remember the last time I've been so captivated by an author or a character.

Coming from Sunny England myself, I know how hard it is to come by FPW books sometimes. So, if you find yourself stuck, let me know and I'll lend you a book or two. I believe I have them all (except Infernal, but that should be arriving soon).
It's always nice to find there are more fans here in the UK.
IanSF   10-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Pleiades Wrote:And try Black Wind. It's been discussed in another thread on the Forum. It's really a great book. FPW's work on that one just draws you into the story, and I found myself accepting what happens as real, as history.
I've got my eye on this one as well.

Pleiades Wrote:BTW -- after you read the Adversay Cycle, and all the RJ books, read them again. You'll pick up all sorts of inter-relations and connections that you missed the first time. Look for those things in other FPW books as well. E.g., in Sibs, some characters go to Julio's bar (Jack's hangout) for the evening.
I've read them all already and I did spot some links. Having read the cycle and RJ's exploits 'back to back' so to speak it's easier to pick up on them. I find these are some of my favourite 'RJ moments' (to quote another thread) and I've often gone back to the other book to cross-reference.
FPW has said 'Nightworld' might need some re-working as Jack comes up against the Otherness more often. A couple of incidents come to mind. Jack seems to have no recollection of Dr Alan Bulmer yet this was who treated him when he suffered a car crash and had to escape from the hospital after he came round. The other is maybe not so much an inconsistency. It all depends on whether the hole that appears in 'Conspiracies' after the Tesla generator starts up is the same as the holes that appear in 'Nightworld'. If so why doesn't Jack remember it?

Pleiades Wrote:Enjoy - you'll be glad to be here.
I'm glad alright, just got a lot of catching up to do.
So many books, and not easy to find.
Maggers   10-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Welcome! Be sure to check out "Deep as the Marrow," my favorite non-RJ book with one of the greatest heroines of all time, IMO.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   10-25-2005, 09:42 AM

Welcome to the board, IanSF!

The Haunted Air is specially my favorite RJ book. I assure you can't put down the book! Big Grin I read it in English, but this week I can get Japanese edition. I have to read it in Japanese edition.

I recommend "Black Wind" and "Dydeetown World".
Pages (2): 1 2