Brett   05-21-2004, 05:30 PM
I hope I've scooped the board with this one. As reported by creature-corner.com yesterday:

"Knock it all you want, but goddamn do I love Michael Mann's The Keep...and I'm resting a bit easier these days knowing now that Paramount is on the case to give the flick some respect on DVD.

According to Davis DVD, who has happened upon a wealth of release date information, The Keep will street November 30th. Ask for more details and I'll tell you nothing 'cause there is no more to tell. Although, I suspect as we draw closer to its release we will find out whether the disc'll be bare bones or come with a little extra goodness (hmm, I think I'll go with door number one).

The Keep was a 1983 release loosely based on an F. Paul Wilson novel of the same name, and I mean loose. Mann heavily stylized it, of course, and in doing so probably dated it too with his funky high contrast visuals and synth score by Tangerine Dream. Gabriel Byrne, Jurgen Prochnow, Scott Glen, and Ian McKellan star in this film which follows two German troops in World War II who are sent to guard an old keep in a Romanian pass. Each of their leaders hold separate ideals about the war and these difference rise to the surface when something within the keep is released."

Let the ranting begin....

"Where is fancy bred, in the heart or in the head?"
Scott Miller   05-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Brett Wrote:Mann heavily stylized it

I guess that depends on your definition of stylized. If it means incoherent piece of crap, then I agree.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Noelie   05-21-2004, 07:05 PM
I've often wondered about this: it didn't seem incoherent to me, but was that because I had read the book and already knew what was happening?

Don't get me wrong, I disliked the movie immensely, it's just something that I've pondered.
Marc   05-21-2004, 07:47 PM
At least he said, "Loosely based."
jimbow8   05-21-2004, 08:24 PM
I had never read the book (the movie is responsible for me first reading the Keep) and I understood everything that was going on. Of course, I'm the one person who kinda likes the movie....... Rolleyes

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft