Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
Scott Hajek   08-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Anybody watch this show?

It has the most cumbersome termination line in reality show history.

In Survivor, you have "The tribe has spoken."
In The Apprentice, you have "You're fired."

In Rock Star: INXS, you have "I'm sorry. You're just not right for our band, INXS."

Any other "termination lines" from other shows?

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
APhew   08-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I watch it, mostly because I was a huge INXS fan back in High School. I had mixed feelings about the show in general. I just can't see INXS without Michael. I do respect them for carrying on, but I don't think the whole reality TV thing was the way to do it. I was pretty angry for a while that they'd stoop as low as this to replace Michael, but with each episode I find myself growing fond of some of the singers and getting hooked on the whole thing anyway. I picked up their "I'm Only Looking" DVD and was blasted with all this great music I had completely forgotten about for years. I rediscovered why I fell in love with this band in the first place. Now I only wish Rhino would capitalize on the shows popularity and re-release some of their early stuff. My favorite album will always be "Listen Like Thieves", but I also want "Shabooh Shoobah" and "The Swing" in digital-remastered glory.
Richard Kendrick   08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Mig will win.

In my opinion, the band already decided early on who they want and are now having to go through the motions of having to do the show. The choice is pretty obvious.

RIK
Scott Hajek   08-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I agree with both of the posts above. It's a weird concept, but strangely addictive.

Mig will win because he looks and sounds the part. Plus, he's from Australia.
Jordis deserves a huge recording deal as long as she never sings "Layla" again.
J.D. is a psycho, but I like him. He's got some good ideas how to make a classic song his own, except for "We are the Champions."
Marty belongs in a Nirvana tribute band.
Suzie needs more confidence. With that, she'd be right up there with Jordis.
Ty needs to shave his mohawk and stop playing the crying race card. He can sing, but his personality needs an extreme makeover.
Jessica should've been flushed with Brandon this past show.
Deana has potential, but she is soon to go.

The show is fun, but the termination line gives me and my wife the giggles.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
t4terrific   08-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I agree with both of the posts above. It's a weird concept, but strangely addictive.

Mig will win because he looks and sounds the part. Plus, he's from Australia.
Jordis deserves a huge recording deal as long as she never sings "Layla" again.
J.D. is a psycho, but I like him. He's got some good ideas how to make a classic song his own, except for "We are the Champions."
Marty belongs in a Nirvana tribute band.
Suzie needs more confidence. With that, she'd be right up there with Jordis.
Ty needs to shave his mohawk and stop playing the crying race card. He can sing, but his personality needs an extreme makeover.
Jessica should've been flushed with Brandon this past show.
Deana has potential, but she is soon to go.

The show is fun, but the termination line gives me and my wife the giggles.

So, whoever is good enough to win the contest will be stuck with INXS? What kind of a prize is that? Were they even big when they were big? What's next? A Bobby Brown reality show?
jimbow8   08-12-2005, 09:24 AM
t4terrific Wrote:So, whoever is good enough to win the contest will be stuck with INXS? What kind of a prize is that? Were they even big when they were big? What's next? A Bobby Brown reality show?
OMG! LMAO!

What is up with that?!?! :confused:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Hajek   08-12-2005, 11:05 AM
t4terrific Wrote:So, whoever is good enough to win the contest will be stuck with INXS? What kind of a prize is that? Were they even big when they were big? What's next? A Bobby Brown reality show?

INXS was/is a very good band. Getting exposure is prize enough. Being stuck? At least they are finding someone for their band that the public likes already. Unlike other bands that get new lead singers that just plain suck like Styx.

So, what will you call your new show when you pitch it to the tv execs? "Beatdown with Bobby Brown?" "The Addict?"

Scott Hajek

jimbow8   08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:INXS was/is a very good band. Getting exposure is prize enough. Being stuck? At least they are finding someone for their band that the public likes already. Unlike other bands that get new lead singers that just plain suck like Styx.
Or Genesis. :mad:

Quote:So, what will you call your new show when you pitch it to the tv execs? "Beatdown with Bobby Brown?" "The Addict?"
You are aware that there IS a Bobby Brown reality show, right?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Blake   08-12-2005, 12:24 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Or Genesis. :mad:

Oh, I don't know. I think Ray Wilson did okay. If Genesis made a mistake, it was in picking something too predictable. Ray's voice is too close to Phil's and Peter's -- especially Peter's (IMO).

My take on Calling All Stations is that it showed potential. It seemed to me like Ray wasn't given much of a chance to make a claim for himself on that album because most of the vocal melodies had already been written before he got there. As a result, they seemed to be written for Tony Banks's more limited range. Just my interpretation, which could be wrong.

Personally, I always had the fantasy that Fish was going to sing for them. Smile Never happen, though. Besides, as much as I love the guy (right up to his newest album), I have to admit that his voice just isn't what it once was....

If Fish had taken over, though, at least some people would've heard of the new Genesis lead singer. Okay, maybe not many people in the U. S., but.... Smile

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Richard Kendrick   08-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:At least they are finding someone for their band that the public likes already. Unlike other bands that get new lead singers that just plain suck like Styx.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about Lawrence Gowan's singing. He's a smokin' keyboard player though. He was a Rock Star in Canada without Styx. I wish he sang a little better. He's entertaining live.

Now, I was truely bummed out when Glenn Burtnik (The second bass player -- He also replaced Tommy Shaw on guitar and vocals for one album and tour in the early 90s) quit Styx. That guy sings his ass off and is a hit song writer. It was like having two Tommy Shaws in the band the last few years. Ricky Phillips is a really good bass player but not nearly as good a singer as Burtnik. Styx lost a lot when that guy left the band.

They don't seem to write very good songs without Dennis DeYoung. Well, actually, I think he just made sure the crappy songs stayed off of the records.

RIK
This post was last modified: 08-12-2005, 06:01 PM by Richard Kendrick.
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4