Pages (10):    1 6 7 8 9 10
Maggers   02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
fpw Wrote:I find Ellen D. sweet and funny. Never saw Ellen, but the few times I've caught her talk show I've liked it.

May I add Jason Alexander to the list? The only reason he was funny in Seinfeld was due to the writing -- and because he was aping Ralph Kramden.

I've got to agree with FPW. Ellen is sweet and funny.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   02-25-2005, 12:43 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I just had to mention it here since I had called her 'not funny' earlier in the thread. I'm still not a big fan, but I did like that joke (for its corniness). Had to give credit where it is due.

Maybe, you just had to be there?

KRW
KRW   02-25-2005, 01:21 AM
cyber-jack Wrote:I think SUBLIME should come back as well, and I don't think he should give a rat's ass about who he offended or why.

What is this board anyway? A Politically Correct Love Fest where everyone has to agree and kiss ass so they can feel welcome by the elitist parthenon governing all posts? GOD NO! It's a forum where everyone should feel they can speak their mind without being ostracized for offending some poor sap on the other end of the wire.

OK - I admit it, slips of the tongue (or fingers) can happen, and feelings can get hurt, but folks, this case was RIDICULOUS.

COME BACK SUBLIME! DON'T LET ANYONE PUSH YOU AROUND...

Damn Strait!

KRW
cyber-jack   02-25-2005, 01:45 PM
KRW Wrote:Damn Strait!

KRW

Thanks...Glad someone else agrees with me.

But, after re-reading my last post, I thought maybe I should put out an apology to all the saps out there that I may have offended. I don't know if "saps" is slang for any ethnic or alternitive lifestyle group out there or not, but thought I would be PC just in case. So, to all you saps, I apologize.

Also, to all the rat's asses out there, I am deeply sorry if I have hurt your tender feelings. I know how you've suffered through the ages and I truely sympathize with your plight.

And, while I'm at it, to the Elitist Parthenon...Well, that's just going too far now isn't it?
jimbow8   02-25-2005, 01:59 PM
KRW Wrote:Maybe, you just had to be there?

KRW
No, You're right. I'm going back to my stance of 'She's not funny!' Thanks for straightening me out on this.

Big Grin (smile absolves all)

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   02-25-2005, 05:24 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:No, You're right. I'm going back to my stance of 'She's not funny!' Thanks for straightening me out on this.

Just curious, Jim, have you seen her current talk show? I'm not carrying a stick with this question, just curious is all.

All opinions are equal in their validity.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   02-25-2005, 11:05 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:No, You're right. I'm going back to my stance of 'She's not funny!' Thanks for straightening me out on this.

Anytime! I actually watched some of her old stand up today on Comedy Central (I'm trying to give her a chance). I found parts of her routine amusing, about five minutes when she was flirting with an imaginary cop, but the rest of the show was a waste of time. Lizards with toupees, geez. Rolleyes I'll admit you need half a brain to get a lot of her humor, but it's only mildly amusing at best. Her idea of timing is pausing before every punchline and the only body language she shows is breathing. She has a following, and if this is what they like, that's fine. For me, like them to leave me with my belly hurting, like Larry The Cable Guy! Big Grin

KRW
Snake   02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I've read through most of this thread, and comedy is as subjective as anything else. What amuses the masses does not always amuse me, and what I find hysterical is rarely widely accepted. That being said, I think most people are intelligent enough to discern what is comedic, whether they agree that it is actually funny or not.

In my opinion:

Ellen Degenerous is neither funny nor comedic. She's simply annoying. I think everyone on this board can figure out which demographic she appeals to and which demographic her critics have offended.

George Carlin was funny...when I was ten! This sentiment can go for a whole host of comics including, but not limited to; Eddie Murphy, Cheech and Chong, Steve Martin...Hell, the list goes on and on. Just fill in the blank.

Sam Kinneson is funnier dead than he ever was alive.

Howard Stern is not even amusing...Just the male counterpart to Ellen. We know his demographic, and we know the demographic of his critics.

This thread was funny for awhile, but I think you can pretty much stick a fork in it now...

...and Sublime? I don't care what everybody else says, You, my man, are funny!
Scott Miller   02-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Add Tom Green to my list. And the the new slew of National Lampoon movies.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
t4terrific   08-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Maggers Wrote:It's the "lesbo" term that I find offensive. I hear it as a slur, and I don't like it.

I didn't watch much of her TV show. I do watch her current talk show and she's very funny. So were her HBO specials.

I never cared for Ellen (even before she came out) until I found out she was, uh... boinking (?) Anne Heche. Hahaa!!! That boosted her big time with me as I find Heche to be incredibly sexy!! Big Grin
I actually think Ellen (the talk show) is entertaining and mildly funny. She's not so political that I get pissed (like when I watch The Daily Show). She doesn't throw her sexual orientation in my face all the time like some do. (I don't talk about my sex life with everyone, all the time, so why would a gay or a lesbian feel like they should do it?) I think she's done a great job lately balancing her career and her personal life. I think she's become a good example of how sexual orientation can become almost a non-issue socially (as I think it should be).
Pages (10):    1 6 7 8 9 10