Gerald Rice   07-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I'll say up front that I liked this movie.

That done, the only real hook to this flick is Christian Bale's Ethiopianine appearance- oh wait, and maybe that dude's… nevermind. But the story is reminiscent of other movie's you've seen that I won't mention here so nothing's spoiled. But Christian Bale is good, as usual. There's even a little Michael Ironside tossed in the mix. This movie is about a guy who hasn't slept in almost a year… for some strange reason. He is constantly losing weight (I don't think insomnia has anything to do with weight loss, does it?) and he begins to question if some of the things going on around him are real. That's pretty much all I can say.

I'd give it two and a half toes up out of four (you'll get it after you seen it).
Paige   07-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I've seen it when it first came out. Dragged my friend with me, thought she didn't like it as much as I did. Loved the creator's tribute to Nine Inch Nails. Trevor Reznic (Trent Reznor.) The grungy atmosphere, the industrial setting. I'm a huge fan so it was an added bonus. The movie was terrifying, amazing and real. Bale is an amazing actor.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Sam   07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:I'll say up front that I liked this movie.

That done, the only real hook to this flick is Christian Bale's Ethiopianine appearance- oh wait, and maybe that dude's… nevermind. But the story is reminiscent of other movie's you've seen that I won't mention here so nothing's spoiled. But Christian Bale is good, as usual. There's even a little Michael Ironside tossed in the mix. This movie is about a guy who hasn't slept in almost a year… for some strange reason. He is constantly losing weight (I don't think insomnia has anything to do with weight loss, does it?) and he begins to question if some of the things going on around him are real. That's pretty much all I can say.

I'd give it two and a half toes up out of four (you'll get it after you seen it).

Poor guy could never live his dream of being Ebert's co-critic. Rolleyes

I wonder if Maggers has watched this yet??

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
jimbow8   07-11-2005, 12:25 PM
I just realized this weekend that Bale is also in The New World - the next epic coming out this summer. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402399/

I had heard of this movie before, about John Smith and his clashes with the natives, and knew it starred Colin Farrell, but didn't know about Bale.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   07-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Sam Wrote:Poor guy could never live his dream of being Ebert's co-critic. Rolleyes

I wonder if Maggers has watched this yet??

I've avoided it 'cuz I love my hunk-o-rama image of Christian Bale. But he's such a good actor, I'll put in on my Netflix queue, and I'll get past his physique or lack thereof.

I did notice that Bale is in "the New World." Should be interesting, eh?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   07-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Maggers Wrote:I've avoided it 'cuz I love my hunk-o-rama image of Christian Bale. But he's such a good actor, I'll put in on my Netflix queue, and I'll get past his physique or lack thereof.

Now you'll be fawning over his inner-strength to make such sacrifices for this role. Wink Good movie or not, the man deserves respect.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K