RepairmanJack.com Forums
Phantom of the Opera - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Phantom of the Opera (/thread-966.html)

Pages: 1 2

Phantom of the Opera - Medusa - 05-23-2005

We rented the Phantom of the Opera over the weekend. The version with Gerald Butler. Wow! Not only is he good looking but he has an incredible voice. That was a great movie. Of course I have never seen any other version to compare it to.

Phantom of the Opera - Kenji - 05-23-2005

Medusa Wrote:We rented the Phantom of the Opera over the weekend. The version with Gerald Butler. Wow! Not only is he good looking but he has an incredible voice. That was a great movie.

I like this movie,too! I like that music and songs. I bought soundtrack.

Quote:Of course I have never seen any other version to compare it to.

Have you ever seen "Phantom of the Paradise"? That was awesome. Directed by Brian DePalma. It's Rock version of Phantom of the Opera. Big Grin

Phantom of the Opera - Tony H - 05-23-2005

Medusa Wrote:We rented the Phantom of the Opera over the weekend. The version with Gerald Butler. Wow! Not only is he good looking but he has an incredible voice. That was a great movie. Of course I have never seen any other version to compare it to.

If by incredible you mean, "It's incredible how someone who can't sing could land a lead in a musical," then yes, his voice is incredible indeed.

Buy the broadway soundtrack with Michael Crawford as the Phantom, it is an entirely different experience.

Phantom of the Opera - Keith the Elder - 05-23-2005

Kenji Wrote:I like this movie,too! I like that music and songs. I bought soundtrack.

Have you ever seen "Phantom of the Paradise"? That was awesome. Directed by Brian DePalma. It's Rock version of Phantom of the Opera. Big Grin

Whoa, Kenji, Talk about synchronicity, I was just recommending Phantom of the Paradise the other day when someone at work was raving about PotO

k the e

Phantom of the Opera - Marc - 05-23-2005

AsMoral Wrote:If by incredible you mean, "It's incredible how someone who can't sing could land a lead in a musical," then yes, his voice is incredible indeed.

I wasn't impressed with his singing ability either and once he became the phantom he started over-acting.

Most everyone else in the cast did a great job, just didn't care for Butler.

Phantom of the Opera - xmradiodave - 05-23-2005

Marc B. Wrote:I wasn't impressed with his singing ability either and once he became the phantom he started over-acting.

Gerard Butler (The Phantom) sounded like an asthmatic smoker, running on a treadmill. Horrid. The last 20 minutes of the film, he was supposed to sound distraught and emotional. He sounded like a kid who just got his ass spanked in the toy section of a Wal-Mart. Blech. Emmy Rossum and the actor who played Raul were spectacular though.

Phantom of the Opera - Maggers - 05-24-2005

Marc B. Wrote:I wasn't impressed with his singing ability either and once he became the phantom he started over-acting.

I haven't seen PotO yet because I saw a Butler on Jay Leno when the movie first came out. They showed a clip from the film. His singing was appalling. I couldn't believe they would give the lead in a musical to a guy who doesn't articulate very well to begin with and who can't sing worth a lick.

I won't bother renting it, either. I'll catch a glimpse on one of the movie channels once it hits cable.

Phantom of the Opera - Maggers - 01-01-2006

AsMoral Wrote:If by incredible you mean, "It's incredible how someone who can't sing could land a lead in a musical," then yes, his voice is incredible indeed.

Boy oh boy, Tony, do I agree with that. Gerard Butler can't sing for love nor money, and even he was surprised when he was cast. At least, that's what Butler said on the "Tonight Show" when the movie came out. I think he said something like, "I got the part and I can't really sing!" Understatement of the year. Rolleyes

In spite of the Broadway musical running for about 110 years, I never saw it. I refuse to support Andrew Lloyd Webber's music in any way. I think he's the most overrated composer ever.

Nevertheless, I finally broke down and watched the movie version of his "opera" on HBO. I didn't hate it. I was shocked. I didn't like it, either, but I fully expected crap, a la "Cats." The movie was saved by its visuals. To my ear, it sounded like the same song sung over and over. One, in fact, sounded just like "School days, school days, dear old golden rules days..." Not my idea of great music.

My favorite version of "The Phantom of the Opera" is the 1962 one starring Herbert Lom. I saw it back then in the theater. I was ten and I was scared.

Phantom of the Opera - Tony H - 01-02-2006

Maggers Wrote:Boy oh boy, Tony, do I agree with that. Gerard Butler can't sing for love nor money, and even he was surprised when he was cast. At least, that's what Butler said on the "Tonight Show" when the movie came out. I think he said something like, "I got the part and I can't really sing!" Understatement of the year. Rolleyes

In spite of the Broadway musical running for about 110 years, I never saw it. I refuse to support Andrew Lloyd Webber's music in any way. I think he's the most overrated composer ever.

Nevertheless, I finally broke down and watched the movie version of his "opera" on HBO. I didn't hate it. I was shocked. I didn't like it, either, but I fully expected crap, a la "Cats." The movie was saved by its visuals. To my ear, it sounded like the same song sung over and over. One, in fact, sounded just like "School days, school days, dear old golden rules days..." Not my idea of great music.

My favorite version of "The Phantom of the Opera" is the 1962 one starring Herbert Lom. I saw back it then in the theater. I was ten and I was scared.

I am not a huge ALW fan either. He is highly overrated, though Jesus Christ Superstar does hold a spot in my heart. The rest of his stuff, just average songs with spectacular production values. Weber puts on a show first and worries secondly about the songs.

I have never been a fan of R&H musicals. I like the off broadway stuff. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is spectacular with some great music. The movie version of Hedwig is just incredible.

Broadway seems to be making a comeback, with productions like "Spamalot", "The Producers", and my new all-time favorite "Wicked" and I say it's about time. Movies are fun but for qa true adventure nothing beats live theatre.

Phantom of the Opera - Mick C. - 01-02-2006

I've been a big fan of "Phantom of the Paradise" since it first came out. One of my favorites, and the first flick I bought on VHS.

I enjoyed seeing "The Phantom of the Opera" musical on stage a couple of times, but a lot of the fun was the spectacle - seeing all these fantastic effects live on stage. It's not quite as impressive in a movie, which leaves you with the music, the performances, and the design. I thought the lead was not bad, although obviously not as good a singer as Michael Crawford.

I thought the unmasking scene which should have been a dramatic high point, was weak - the make-up made the Phantom look as if he had a patch of bad acne. Hard to believe that his looks would keep him confined as a freak through childhood. Chaney's, Raines', or Lom's makeups were all much better.