RepairmanJack.com Forums
They're back on Amazon - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: They're back on Amazon (/thread-3715.html)

They're back on Amazon - fpw - 02-06-2010

The BUY buttons on My MacMillan titles, that is. But no Kindle editions mentioned. [SIZE=3]

This is the way they should have reacted - drop the MacMillan Kindles, since that was the area of dispute. But instead they decided to pull all editions - right before Secret Circles went on sale. I've always been a great booster of Amazon as a friend to writers and readers, and I've always sent my readers to Amazon (so much so that my publisher received complaints from competitors). Now I can't help but feel betrayed.
[/SIZE]

They're back on Amazon - t4terrific - 02-06-2010

fpw Wrote:The BUY buttons on My MacMillan titles, that is. But no Kindle editions mentioned.

[SIZE=3]This is the way they should have reacted - drop the MacMillan Kindles, since that was the area of dispute. But instead they decided to pull all editions - right before Secret Circles went on sale. I've always been a great booster of Amazon as a friend to writers and readers, and I've always sent my readers to Amazon (so much so that my publisher received complaints from competitors). Now I can't help but feel betrayed.
[/SIZE]

Seems a lot of your peers feel the same way.

They're back on Amazon - cobalt - 02-06-2010

I don't blame you for feeling betrayed....they pull this shit as your new book is released.

They're back on Amazon - webby - 02-08-2010

fpw Wrote:The BUY buttons on My MacMillan titles, that is. But no Kindle editions mentioned.

[SIZE=3]This is the way they should have reacted - drop the MacMillan Kindles, since that was the area of dispute. But instead they decided to pull all editions - right before Secret Circles went on sale. I've always been a great booster of Amazon as a friend to writers and readers, and I've always sent my readers to Amazon (so much so that my publisher received complaints from competitors). Now I can't help but feel betrayed.
[/SIZE]

Yeah, pulling ALL the editions was a bonehead move. No doubt it will go down in history as one of the dumbest things Amazon ever did - right alongside deleting copies of 1984 and ANIMAL FARM from everyone's Kindle without warning.

I get Amazon's point, and I think they're right, but what a stupid, stupid way to handle the dispute. Sheesh.

They're back on Amazon - The Mad American - 02-08-2010

webby Wrote:- right alongside deleting copies of 1984 and ANIMAL FARM from everyone's Kindle without warning.

They did that? Whatever for? I mean was there some reason they gave everyone or was it one of those "oops" things?

They're back on Amazon - Anders Monsen - 02-08-2010

Amazon's DRM is the reason I never will buy a Kindle. I think it petulant and asinine that they dropped the print books as well. Amazon is a giant among resellers, and think could the crack that allows competitors an entry into Amazon's vast turf. We can all vote with our dollars and support better options if those exist. I'm at least now more interesting in exploring those options.

The Mad American Wrote:They did that? Whatever for? I mean was there some reason they gave everyone or was it one of those "oops" things?

Yes, they did that. Apparently it was some sort of copyright issue - Amazon sold the ebook versions thinking they had rights to do so but then found out they did not. So they just deleted them all. Amazon's CEO later made a statement admitting it was an incredibly stupid thing to do - in almost those exact words - and said it would never happen again.

Bizarre and somehow strangely appropriate that it was Orwell they deleted, eh?

Anders Monsen Wrote:Amazon's DRM is the reason I never will buy a Kindle. I think it petulant and asinine that they dropped the print books as well. Amazon is a giant among resellers, and think could the crack that allows competitors an entry into Amazon's vast turf. We can all vote with our dollars and support better options if those exist. I'm at least now more interesting in exploring those options.

That's the way to do it. It's the free market answer to dealing with a company you dislike.

It's a more difficult decision for some of us though, having already plunked down the dollars for a Kindle and not having bundles more cash laying around to plunk down on some other device. Confusedquigglemouth:

And really, let's not completely absolve MacMillan of all blame here. It was their insistance on determining another company's (Amazon) pricing that led Amazon to do this very stupid thing.

They're back on Amazon - GeraldRice - 02-08-2010

webby Wrote:Yes, they did that. Apparently it was some sort of copyright issue - Amazon sold the ebook versions thinking they had rights to do so but then found out they did not. So they just deleted them all. Amazon's CEO later made a statement admitting it was an incredibly stupid thing to do - in almost those exact words - and said it would never happen again.

Bizarre and somehow strangely appropriate that it was Orwell they deleted, eh?

I remember hearing that on NPR. Apparently, they got the e version from someone who didn't have the copyright.

I think it's a rabbit-is-out-of-the-hate kind of situation. If they had sold a physical book to customers they wouldn't break into their houses and take it back. The same should apply to an ebook. As matter of fact, I think b & e on a computer should be a crime. Even if it is with a company you do business with.