RepairmanJack.com Forums
Brokeback Mountain - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Brokeback Mountain (/thread-1372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Brokeback Mountain - willowz - 01-06-2006

KRW Wrote:Shouldn't we warn them first to change their wicked ways by throwing throwing one through their window with a note tied to it? That'll shake em up! Let's start with Richard Simmons, he's just begging for reform! Big Grin

KRW
That is a veryscarry thought

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-06-2006

Scott Hajek Wrote:That one is wide open for interpretation. I still stand by my original posting, that the author(s) of the bible were into girl-on-girl action and would never go to see "Brokeback Mountain" no matter how artsy it is.

Sorry, somehow I missed your response.
Personally, I think the whole Bible is open for interpretation. I did notice that nowhere in it does it say women can't wrestle in mud, so you may have a point.

KRW

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-06-2006

willowz Wrote:That is a veryscarry thought

What's scary, reform or Richard Simmons? Or is it reforming Richard Simmons?

KRW

Brokeback Mountain - Paige - 01-07-2006

KRW Wrote:What's scary, reform or Richard Simmons? Or is it reforming Richard Simmons?

KRW

reform is scary period. shoving opinions down peoples throats sounds too much like rape to me.

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-07-2006

Paige Wrote:reform is scary period. shoving opinions down peoples throats sounds too much like rape to me.

Don't worry Paige, it was posted in jest. I probably should have put a smiley on the end of it. I'm not a fan of reform myself. I'm also not a fan of the movie, even if it is written by one of my favorite authors.

KRW

Brokeback Mountain - Peter - 01-08-2006

Well, here we are again. Once more I feel compelled to post on what seems to have become a contentious topic!

Reagrding the film I doubt if I will bother. I dont really like love story type films whatever the orientation of the characters. But we seem to have moved on into straight vs gay territory!

I have no wish to be crass but it has always seemed to me that a straight man can watch a lesbian scene and think "Hmmm, thats looks good" whilst the same scene with two men is more likely to get the "Whoa!Thats gonna hurt in the morning!" reaction. And, from women, more or less the opposite. Is that too simplistic do you think?

Frankly though I dont really care what anyone does in a consensual way, I went to the gay & lesbian Mardi Gras in Cardiff back in the summer and it was a great day out, though I did get my bottom patted in the crowd. At 55 years old am I supposed to be disgusted or flattered? In truth damned hard to work up much enthusiasm either way.

Of course, there is another point. Suppose a guy goes and sees Brokeback Mountain and thinks "Yeah, I can see where they are coming from" but then, no forget it, silly idea, none of us are that insecure.....

Brokeback Mountain - fpw - 01-08-2006

Peter Wrote:I have no wish to be crass but it has always seemed to me that a straight man can watch a lesbian scene and think "Hmmm, thats looks good" whilst the same scene with two men is more likely to get the "Whoa!Thats gonna hurt in the morning!" reaction. And, from women, more or less the opposite. Is that too simplistic do you think?

I think it comes down to identification. A straight guy watching a lesbian love scene can imagine himself replacing either of the participants. In a guy-guy scene, he can't.

Brokeback Mountain - Maggers - 01-08-2006

I have problems with the movie because there is a fundamental flaw in the filmmaking or in the writing. As I said in my first post on this thread, the relationship seemed rushed and not fleshed out enough (do NOT go anywhere with that statement :p ).

SPOILER ALERT...SPOILER ALERT....SPOILER ALERT....SPOILER ALERT

Regardless of the moviemaking, I am continually disappointed in the inability of so many people to understand the pain of unrequited love, which is the basis of the story. It's a human emotion felt by both men and women. It cross all borders, boundaries, social classes, and sexual orientation. Of course, the persecution of the lead couple because of what they feel for one another is equally painful and deadly. What could hurt more than that....being killed for what you are. For those who love the political threads, consider it akin to being killed for your beliefs because others think you are wrong.

FPW, I think you are correct in your assessment regarding identification. But because the story is about more than just sex, I still think it's too bad more folks can't get beyond the sex and look at the humanity.

Brokeback Mountain - neotank - 01-08-2006

It is FUNNY though, that an old southpark episode actually had a scene where there was a awards show like Cannes, or something similar, and the movie that won was about gay cowboys.

And wouldn't you know it, a couple years later it comes true.

That's why I hate hollywood. I have no problem with gays or lesbians, but I just hate how hollywood almost forces itself into giving out oscars based on issues and not whether or not the movie is any good.

Case in point. Chariots of fire beat out Raiders of the lost Arc for best picture. WTF is that all about!

Brokeback Mountain - Maggers - 01-08-2006

neotank Wrote:It is FUNNY though, that an old southpark episode actually had a scene where there was a awards show like Cannes, or something similar, and the movie that won was about gay cowboys.

And wouldn't you know it, a couple years later it comes true.

That's why I hate hollywood. I have no problem with gays or lesbians, but I just hate how hollywood almost forces itself into giving out oscars based on issues and not whether or not the movie is any good.

Case in point. Chariots of fire beat out Raiders of the lost Arc for best picture. WTF is that all about!

Too true. Hollywood loves to get on a bandwagon...any bandwagon, whatever wagon is leading the band at the time. I don't think "Brokeback Mountain" deserves an Oscar. "Capote" is far better, for instance. However, I will give Heath Ledger a nod for some unexpected terrific acting. But he doesn't deserve the award, either; Philip Seymour Hoffman was EXTRAORDINARY in "Capote." If he doesn't get the Oscar, what a miscall that will be.

I agree about "Chariots of Fire." Did anyone like it then and has anyone watched it since? Back in 1981, I'd have given best picture to "Atlantic City," a gem undiscovered by many younger boardwalkers here, I bet.