RepairmanJack.com Forums
Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? (/thread-2686.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - bones weep tedium - 02-18-2008

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]I didn't catch anything dropping into the ocean in the last scene, even though I was looking for it.[/SIZE]

I found this through wikipedia. The splash-down is on the far right of the screen.

Whereabouts is Coney Island? Is it feasible that a 'thing' could land off it's shore, and then make it's first appearance at the Statue Of Liberty? What's the distance involved?

I prefer to think of the monster coming out of the cold, hard depths of the deepest darkest ocean after millenia of slumber.

FPW- I'm not surprised you enjoyed this film, I thought of you a lot when I was watching it. Lovecraft/Godzilla/NYC/Sci-fi/Horror, I thought it was similar to your stuff, and I felt that there'd be something in all that which caught your interest!

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - RichE - 02-18-2008

Great Shot! I would have missed it.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - fpw - 02-18-2008

[quote=bones weep tedium]Whereabouts is Coney Island? Is it feasible that a 'thing' could land off it's shore, and then make it's first appearance at the Statue Of Liberty? What's the distance involved?
QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Coney is off Brooklyn's south shore -- maybe a 10-15 mile swim to the Statue of Liberty.

Is there any backstory published anywhere?[/SIZE]

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - fpw - 02-18-2008

[quote=bones weep tedium]Whereabouts is Coney Island? Is it feasible that a 'thing' could land off it's shore, and then make it's first appearance at the Statue Of Liberty? What's the distance involved?
[QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Coney is off Brooklyn's south shore -- maybe a 10-15 mile swim to the Statue of Liberty.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - RichE - 02-18-2008

Must an echo! Wouldn't the critter have have been spotted swimming thru the narrows where dat big ole bridge is now? Sneaky feller!

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Miskatonic & Gin - 02-18-2008

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]I don't think Cloverfield can be work as well -- be as immersive -- on a small screen.[/SIZE]

I agree. This film will lose much of its impact on anything smaller than a 80 inch flat screen.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Miskatonic & Gin - 02-18-2008

Quote:[SIZE="3"]Coney is off Brooklyn's south shore -- maybe a 10-15 mile swim to the Statue of Liberty.

Sort of. But you have to slog your way through several websites to come up with a guess as to where it came from. After visiting these websites I came away believing that the monster was awoken in a deep sea trench by the Tagruato company who perform undersea drilling around the world. Their website has a map detailing all of their drilling locations and all are marked as 'operational' except their new drilling station located above the mid-atlantic ridge off the Eastern US which is scheduled to begin operation Sept, 2007. Here's a link to their 'website':

http://www.tagruato.jp/index2.php

And their deep sea drilling locations:

http://www.tagruato.jp/deepsea2.php

Tagruato is also the company that developed 'Slusho', the drink that has a secret ingredient mined from the sea floor. Rob, the main character was just going to work for Slusho as their marketing guy in Japan. His surprise party was his big send off. There are a few other sites that you can visit that offer little allusions to the story. I sort of came away thinking that terrorists had sabotaged the Mid-Atlantic drilling site and that may have had something to do with the creature being awakened. If you go to this site:

http://www.1-18-08.com

You'll see a bunch of pics that can be moved around that supposedly all tie into the movie. Draw your own conclusions....

Also, Hasbro is releasing a sculture of the monster that can be viewed here:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=863&ID=21030

Also, here are some exceprts from a interview with the director in which he sheds some light on the creature:

"So the secret that we had was that the monster was a baby. Having just been born it was going through separation anxiety and had no idea where its mother was and was freaking out and was in a completely foreign place, didn’t understand a thing and that that would be sending it into a kind of infantile rage. Which was very frightening, but the thing that was also frightening to me was the idea that not only was it going through an infantile rage but, because it was suffering from this separation anxiety, it was spooked. It was really afraid. And as the military started shooting at it, I started thinking, like if you were attacked by a swarm of bees for the first time, it wouldn’t necessarily kill you but you’d be terrified, you’d be like, "What are these things doing?!" And for me there’s nothing scarier than thinking of something that big that’s spooked. Like if you’re at the circus and suddenly the elephants are spooked, you don’t want to be anywhere near that, you’ll be crushed. And so that just became a way to again find an approach to giving an emotional or a grounded point of view to something that was completely outrageous. I mean a giant monster is absurd, but you have to find a way to make it real. And part of it was the stuff that Neville was doing, and then the secret that it was a baby. When we were talking about that I said, "Well, can’t we communicate something in the eyes?" So he started showing us like the look that horses have when they have that spooked look, and all of that was to convey that kind of feeling. So those are sort of the sources of it. We also really loved the idea that the creature in contrast to other creatures you might have seen was sort of a pale, white and again because it’s a baby, it’s just been born and it has this ugly translucence to its skin. "

Anyway, NO, I really don't have that much time on my hands. All of this searching was done over a week when I was home with a nasty case of the flu.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - bones weep tedium - 02-19-2008

I read they were producing a manga comic/cartoon that was a prequel to the movie and gave away more about the creature's origin.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - RichE - 02-19-2008

Sequel on the way...Anyone know ehen?

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - beowulf - 02-19-2008

RichE Wrote:Sequel on the way...Anyone know ehen?

The Director has already been signed for a sequel, and it has bumped his next project. But Abrams has said that he does not want to rush it, though I am sure the studios will want to get the sequel in ASAP, before the buzz dies down. IMDB already has a site for "Unnamed Cloverfield Sequel". I would expect the sequel by 2010.

I just hope they do it right. I really think they could get a few good movies out of the storyline by answering only a few questions through each movie while maintaining an original format. Abrams has apparently also said that he will not do a "Blockbuster" version where we will get all the answers in one film.