RepairmanJack.com Forums
Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Movies - Was the remake better than the original (/thread-2730.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - bones weep tedium - 02-22-2008

RichE Wrote:"HORROR OF DRACULA" I thought a very well done version of the original novel/Lugosi movie classic (in turn a spinoff of the wonderful "NOSFERATU").

Wasn't Nosferatu accused of plagiarising Dracula in the first place? :confused:

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - RichE - 02-22-2008

Yes. There is a great book called "HOLLYWOOD GOTHIC" by David J. Skal that goes very deep into all the lawsuits and legal knots about "Nosferatu" and Florence Stoker (Bram's widow).

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Terry Willacker - 02-22-2008

Love Affair (1939) Charles Boyer & Irene Dunne put me to sleep
Remade as An affair to Remember 1957 Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr: very good
Then remade as Sleepless in Seattle Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan: also very good

Shop Around the Corner Margaret Sullivan 1940: Good
Remade as Good Old Summertime 1948 Judy Garland & Van Johnson: Good
Then Tom & Meg did You've Got Mail: Very good

If you want a good remake, let Tom & Meg do it.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Dave - 02-23-2008

Terry Willacker Wrote:Love Affair (1939) Charles Boyer & Irene Dunne put me to sleep
Remade as An affair to Remember 1957 Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr: very good
Then remade as Sleepless in Seattle Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan: also very good
Gotta jump in and say Sleepless in Seattle was not a remake of An Affair to Remember. It referenced the film (in a conversation about film tastes between men and women), and the characters decided to meet atop the Empire State Building because of the film, but the plot of Sleepless is completely different.

But you're right about both being good films.

Dave

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Kenji - 02-23-2008

Aprilis Wrote:PSYCHO
You cant really beat Hitchcock for a great suspense movie. But I am gonna have to go with the remake here as Vince Vaughn played a much crazier Norman Bates. And the movie had some great eye candy with Viggo Mortensen.

Sorry, but I disagree to it. Remake version Psycho was terrible remake I ever saw. At least, they should remake it by B/W film.

Quote:DIAL M FOR MURDER vs. A PERFECT MURDER
I think Hitchcock wins here. Despite the fact that this movie has Grace Kelly, and A perfect murder has Viggo. The story is just better in the original.

I agree. I like original.

Quote:THE GETAWAY
I cant pick which one is better. The original is a sssllllloooowww moving 70 movie that is sometimes painfully slow to watch. But the Sally Struthers – Al Lettieri scenes are priceless. And the remake is good only because I got to meet Alec Baldwin when he was wearing just boxer shorts because of this movie.

Alec Baldwin vs. Steve McQueen.....definitely McQueen is winner! I like original.

Quote:KING KONG
I like the 1976 remake the best. Probably because it was the first one I saw. My class at school had a field trip to go see it.

What a coincidence! Me too. 1976's version was the first movie I saw. Big Grin

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - fpw - 02-23-2008

Aprilis Wrote:KING KONG
I like the 1976 remake the best. Probably because it was the first one I saw. My class at school had a field trip to go see it.
[SIZE="7"]Sacrilege![/SIZE]

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - RichE - 02-23-2008

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="7"]Sacrilege![/SIZE]

And it didn't have the Spider-pit scene either!!!!!!!

And I'm waiting for someone to go and say that the film GODZILLA (98) was better than GOJIRA (54) or the US produced GODZILLA (56). Anyone that tasteless (and if so, may Gia DiLaurio bitch slap them!)?

In many ways I thought "HOUSE OF WAX" starring Vincent Price was better than "MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM" ( 1933 ).

And of course, least I forget, "SCROOGE" (1951) starring Alister Simm was even better than the 1938 MGM "CHRISTMASS CAROLE".

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Miskatonic & Gin - 02-23-2008

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="7"]Sacrilege![/SIZE]

Beat me to it. I saw that and nearly had a seizure. Honorable mention goes to the poor misguided soul who prefers the Psycho remake. What other travesties can we look forward to in the coming years? How about "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Escape From New York", "The Birds" and "Near Dark". The only remake I want to see is "The Keep".