RepairmanJack.com Forums
Hollywoodland - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Hollywoodland (/thread-1915.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hollywoodland - XamberB - 10-02-2006

Ken Valentine Wrote:I had forgotten that it was the Buster Brown Show until you mentioned it. All I remembered was "Andy's Gang," hosted by Andy Devine.

And someone correct me If I'm wrong, but wasn't it "Plunk your magic twanger, froggy."

Ken V.

You're right, it was plunk not wave, mia culpa. :p Never forget froggy from the Buster Brown Show. Whenever I need a miracle to fix something in a hurry, that's my favorite expression. I will start plunking instead of waving, though.

We didn't get a TV until I was 12. I used to LOVE listening to the radio - a big beautiful mahogany cabinet style one. Watching TV was never the same as listening to Inner Santum and Johnny Dollar. I didn't realize until years later that I got my love of science fiction from the Heinlein stories that were performed on radio. I collect OTR (old time radio) programs. I am also in the process of restoring a 1929 Atwater-Kent boat. I even have the original red lion cabinet and a horn speaker.

Ken Valentine Wrote:You had to highlight it on my post, but it went:
"Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. A firey horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty HI-O Silver! The Lone Ranger!"

Ken V.
Wasn't there something at the end...

"who, with his faithful Indian companion, Tonto, fights a neverending battle for truth, justice and the American way."

Do you remember Lash Larue? The Cisco Kid? Sky Ranger? The Roy Rodger's Show? My favorite was Michael Ansara as Cochise in Broken Arrow. To this day I think of Apaches as looking Sicillian.

Hollywoodland - Ken Valentine - 10-02-2006

XamberB Wrote:Wasn't there something at the end...

"who, with his faithful Indian companion, Tonto, fights a neverending battle for truth, justice and the American way."

I could be wrong, but I think that was part of the introduction for the radio program.

Quote:Do you remember Lash Larue? The Cisco Kid? Sky Ranger? The Roy Rodger's Show? My favorite was Michael Ansara as Cochise in Broken Arrow. To this day I think of Apaches as looking Sicillian.

Lash Larue I don't remember at all.

I definitely remember The Cisco Kid. His "side-kick" Pancho was played by Leo Carrillo, who in real life was a direct heir to one of the original Spanish Land Grants in California.

I don't remember Sky Ranger, but I do remember a program called Sky King.

Roy Rogers . . . definitely! He lived less than twenty five miles from where I now live. Pity Roy Junior had to sell the museum and its treasures to pay inheritance taxes when Dale died.

I also remember Broken Arrow.

How many people know that the Tonto are a sub-group of the Apache Nation, like the Chirichaua, Mescalero, White Mountain and Jicarilla?

Cochise became the principal chief of the Apache's after the death of his uncle Mangas Coloradas, and Geronimo took over leadership after the death of Cochise.

One of my high school classmates was a descendant of Geronimo, and was named after him. We just called him Jerry.

Ken V.

P.S. Michael Ansara was actually born in Syria of Egyptian parents. And I also remember John Lupton who played the indian agent Tom Jeffords.

They had some great programs back in those days . . .

Ken Valentine Wrote:I could be wrong, but I think that was part of the introduction for the radio program..

Could easily have been radio as I listened to a lot more radio than tv.

Ken Valentine Wrote:Lash Larue I don't remember at all. .

http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/lash.htm

Ken Valentine Wrote:I don't remember Sky Ranger, but I do remember a program called Sky King.

You're right again! It was called Sky King. There was also Jungle Jim and Tarzan.

Hollywoodland - Ken Valentine - 10-02-2006

XamberB Wrote:There was also Jungle Jim and Tarzan.

I remember those . . .

And don't forget Hopalong Cassidy.

Ken V.

Hollywoodland - jimbow8 - 10-02-2006

Ken Valentine Wrote:You had to highlight it on my post, but it went:
"Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. A firey horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty HI-O Silver! The Lone Ranger!"

(I can still hear the announcers voice.)

And it is strange . . . the things we remember.

For example I still remember some of the radio programs that later transitioned to television. Gunsmoke being one of them. "With William Conrad as Matt Dillon." He had a voice that was just as unforgettable as James Earl Jones'.

Ken V.
I can hear the voice too. Though I didn't see these when first on TV, I remember coming home from church and watching this show in sindication every sunday afternoon.

Here's what IMDb says about the opening narration:

[INDENT][first lines for each episode]
Narrator: The Lone Ranger!
[gunshots are fired]
The Lone Ranger: Hi-yo, Silver!
Narrator: A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi-yo Silver" - the Lone Ranger!
The Lone Ranger: Hi-yo, Silver, away!
Narrator: With his faithful Indian companion, Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains led the fight for law and order in the early West. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. The Lone Ranger rides again! [/INDENT]

I bought a cheap DVD set of LR episodes, and it was horrible. The last two episodes of the 2-DVD set were episode #2, then episode #1 (in that order), of the original 3-part Butch Cavendish story. Episode #3 is not on the set.

Hollywoodland - Maggers - 10-02-2006

XamberB Wrote:Wasn't there something at the end...

It's Superman who fights the never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way, which was said as Superman stood, arms akimbo, in front of a waving American flag.

My family's first TV can home the same day I did, so I've been a TV addict since birth.

Hollywoodland - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 10-02-2006

Maggers Wrote:I am really glad I saw "Hollywoodland." It's a slow moving period piece that carefully builds its characters and draws together pieces of fact and fiction leaving the viewer to decide what really happened to "Superman" George Reeves.

Every actor is superb. Ben Affleck was terrific, better than I've ever seen him. I was touched by his poignant portrayal of Reeves. I'm a huge fan of Bob Hoskins and he was wonderful, as always. Diane Lane and Adrian Brody were great, especially Lane who was not afraid to play a woman terrified of aging in a land where only youth is valued.

I was delighted to see '50's kids loving "Superman." I mouthed the show's famous opening as it played on the screen...."Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerfull than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!" Didn't we all know it by heart. That show really did affect kids, and the movie shows that, too.

The film does move slowly, but purposefully. Perhaps they could have cut 15 minutes, but I could live with the pace as it is.

I will say that I'll never think of George Reeves in the same way again.

Ah...the =real= SUPERMAN... I don't recall it, but I'm told my foster-father had to grab me from the window after my announcement, "I can fly like Superman!"

Hollywoodland - Terry Willacker - 10-02-2006

I recently met the "real' Lois Lane, Noel Neill at a convention. She insists that George Reeves did not commit suicide. She says the show had been picked up for another season, that Reeves was going to get to direct some episodes, and that he was in great spirits with everything to live for.

Hollywoodland - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 10-02-2006

Terry Willacker Wrote:I recently met the "real' Lois Lane, Noel Neill at a convention. She insists that George Reeves did not commit suicide. She says the show had been picked up for another season, that Reeves was going to get to direct some episodes, and that he was in great spirits with everything to live for.

Yeah, but what else could she say?