RepairmanJack.com Forums
hold off on nightworld??? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: hold off on nightworld??? (/thread-134.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

hold off on nightworld??? - Biggles - 05-31-2004

Noelie Wrote:Well, now you've met two! Wink I still haven't read Nightworld. My first exposure to RJ came in the form of a short story (can't remember which one). Then I read The Keep. Then The Tomb, Reborn, Reprisal, then I moved on to the RJ books.

Initially, I didn't read it because it was out of print, and the copies I could find were more than I could afford at the time. Then I just decided I would wait to read it. Knowing that it will be re-written, I may just go ahead and read it one of these days, but I've been strong so far. Smile

Jeez! You delayed gratification people! I can sure tell that you never lived through the '60s and '70s! I say "If it feels good (to read Nightworld) do it!". But then, maybe I'm an anarchist?! :confused:

hold off on nightworld??? - SDSwami - 05-31-2004

It's been a long time since I've read Reprisal and Nightworld, but doesn't Jack appear at the end of Reprisal? If that's the case and your trying to read all in order, Reprisal should be put on delay too. I could be wrong on this.

I myself rather enjoy knowing what the books are building up to and seeing hints of it in the books.

hold off on nightworld??? - Tim Hatch - 05-31-2004

Biggles Wrote:Jeez! You delayed gratification people! I can sure tell that you never lived through the '60s and '70s! I say "If it feels good (to read Nightworld) do it!". But then, maybe I'm an anarchist?! :confused:

I read it before the return of Jack in _Legacies_. It didn't spoil a thing for me. It just brought out that greedy reader side (more Paul, hurry up and write!).
:p

hold off on nightworld??? - Biggles - 05-31-2004

Tim Hatch Wrote:I read it before the return of Jack in _Legacies_. It didn't spoil a thing for me. It just brought out that greedy reader side (more Paul, hurry up and write!).
:p

Exactly! And when it comes to Paul's books, is greed really a sin? No, I say!

hold off on nightworld??? - nonsun blob a - 05-31-2004

nice to meet both of you! I guess it's not that surprising that I haven't met more people that hadn't read nightworld before other RJ books, seeing as I only know one person offline who's read any at all.

hold off on nightworld??? - Brianmack5 - 06-03-2004

I am tryin to wait until all of the repairman jacks have been released but I don't think I will make it. What I do is fill in other books like Black wind and I am fixin to start fifth harmonic tomorrow until the next repairman book comes out. So I am really gonna try and wait atleast until after I read Crisscross.
Brian McCaskill

hold off on nightworld??? - Manda_W - 06-03-2004

I am kind of a freak, I guess, but reading subsequent RJ novels, after having read Nightworld, I keep trying to force them into the Nightworld box. I end up with this vaguely unsettling congnitive dissonance. If you can deal with subsequent events not tallying with something you have already read, then tear it up. It is an AWESOME book. Just for me, it has been hard to refrain from the, "Thats not right" mindset.

hold off on nightworld??? - fpw - 06-03-2004

Nightworld has been a dilemma for years now. I have not pushed for its reprinting because it not only needs revision to fall in line what's been going on in the Jack books, but it is the terminus of the Repairman Jack saga, and I'd like to see it reprinted as a cap to the series.

And because I don't want Nightword reprinted yet, I can't have Reborn and Reprisal reprinted either since they're essentially a single work.

I've written myself into a box, but the Borderlands editions of the cycle are a step toward escaping it. Since they're limited editions, only you hardcore fans will see them (you know who you are) and you've already read the earlier versions. I'll be revising those into their definitive editions (I'm doing a ton of line editing on The Tomb / Rakoshi at the moment) so they'll be set to go when the time comes.

hold off on nightworld??? - Biggles - 06-03-2004

fpw Wrote:Nightworld has been a dilemma for years now. I have not pushed for its reprinting because it not only needs revision to fall in line what's been going on in the Jack books, but it is the terminus of the Repairman Jack saga, and I'd like to see it reprinted as a cap to the series.

And because I don't want Nightword reprinted yet, I can't have Reborn and Reprisal reprinted either since they're essentially a single work.

I've written myself into a box, but the Borderlands editions of the cycle are a step toward escaping it. Since they're limited editions, only you hardcore fans will see them (you know who you are) and you've already read the earlier versions. I'll be revising those into their definitive editions (I'm doing a ton of line editing on The Tomb / Rakoshi at the moment) so they'll be set to go when the time comes.

That will make Rakoshi the 3rd version of The Tomb. Will the Borderlands editions of the last 3 books be the definitive versions then, or do you anticipate further revisions between the limiteds and the trades? Since I'm one of the "hardcore fans", I'm eagerly awaiting the revisions.

hold off on nightworld??? - fpw - 06-03-2004

Biggles Wrote:That will make Rakoshi the 3rd version of The Tomb. Will the Borderlands editions of the last 3 books be the definitive versions then

I'm looking at Borderlands Adversary Cycle as definitive. I don't have to revise Nightworld until late 2005, so by that time I'll have worked out some key decisions (one being whether I should have Jack and Glaeken meet before Nightworld).