RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Flights of the Phoenixes - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Flights of the Phoenixes (/thread-921.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Flights of the Phoenixes - fpw - 05-06-2005

I watched the 1965 version and 2004 versions on back-to-back nights.

I can't understand why it was remade. Except for adding a woman and shifting the moral center from the copilot to the passenger Liddle, it was exactly the same script.

And not as well acted or directed. The James Stewart - Richard Attenborough dynamic is lost in the new version.

I don't get it. But then there's a whole lot of things about Hollywood I don't get.

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Kenji - 05-06-2005

fpw Wrote:I watched the 1965 version and 2004 versions on back-to-back nights.

I can't understand why it was remade. Except for adding a woman and shifting the moral center from the copilot to the passenger Liddle, it was exactly the same script.

And not as well acted or directed. The James Stewart - Richard Attenborough dynamic is lost in the new version.

I don't get it. But then there's a whole lot of things about Hollywood I don't get.

I agree.

Last month, I saw remake version in theater. It was good movie, but NOT great movie. Fourty years later(2005), even now, original version is forever masterpiece. But Fourty years later(2045), I think nobody remember this remake version.

The Flights of the Phoenixes - ShadowLord - 05-06-2005

Could not agree more == not worth watching the movie.

ShadowLord

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Ken Valentine - 05-06-2005

I tend to avoid re-makes. I have the original on DVD, and can't imagine how it could possibly be improved upon.

As speculation, I often wonder if Hollyweird re-makes movies because of lack of imagination, or because they want to try to re-capitalize on some past success -- or both.

Ken V.

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Maggers - 05-06-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:I tend to avoid re-makes. I have the original on DVD, and can't imagine how it could possibly be improved upon.

As speculation, I often wonder if Hollyweird re-makes movies because of lack of imagination, or because they want to try to re-capitalize on some past success -- or both.

Ken V.

There were comments about just this issue on another thread a few weeks ago.

The lack of creativity is on the part of the producers and studio heads. They are afraid to venture into new territory. They are more comfortable with what they perceive to be tried and true, and thus, they underestimate the audience.

There are thousands of writers out there with novel ideas for movies. They are unknown and not connected. Their stories don't get read and their screenplays never get made. It's a shame.

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Jay #1 - 05-06-2005

had no idea it was based on an earlier movie

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Jay #1 - 05-06-2005

Avengers was close to the ol' tv show.

Ken Valentine Wrote:I tend to avoid re-makes. I have the original on DVD, and can't imagine how it could possibly be improved upon.

Ken V.

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Maggers - 05-06-2005

Jay #1 Wrote:had no idea it was based on an earlier movie

You're exactly the market they are looking for - someone for whom the movie is new, but also someone who has no ken of the original so he can't campare the two.

That's one of the reason they remake classics - for young audiences who have never seen or even heard of the original.

Sadly, most of the time the young audiences are gypped because the original is so much better but they won't see it, especially if the film is a black and white classic. That's not to say all young audiences members dislike B&W movies and won't watch, but many do avoid them.

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Biggles - 05-06-2005

Remakes often seem pointless to me. Why should "Casablanca" or "Beau Geste" or "War of the Worlds" be remade if the original was a classic? I'm sure the latter of those three will disappoint me!

The Flights of the Phoenixes - Biggles - 05-06-2005

Jay #1 Wrote:Avengers was close to the ol' tv show.

I thought the Avengers movie sucked, but then I LOVED the TV show, so I'm biased!