RepairmanJack.com Forums
Dude, Where’s My Vote? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: My So Called Life (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Dude, Where’s My Vote? (/thread-4724.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - fpw - 11-07-2012

My vote was stolen yesterday. In politicospeak, I was disenfranchised by the Electoral College. (Please don’t lump this harangue in with Trump’s hissy fit – totally different.)

I revere our Constitution. I believe the Founding Fathers crafted a unique and robust foundation for a republic. And if we’d stuck to the limitations it placed on the power of the federal government, we wouldn’t be in this economic bind (but that’s another conversation).

Despite my abiding respect, I believe it’s time for the Electoral College to go. It served a purpose in the early days of the union when travel and communications were difficult, and especially when the inhabitants of the newborn United States of America thought of themselves as Georgians or New Yorkers or Virginians first, and citizens of the Union second. But now, after numerous Supreme Court decisions forcing the states to kow-tow to the voracious and insatiable federal amoeba, the concept of free and independent statehood is vestigial at best.

Rendering the Electoral College obsolete.

This was hammered home to me yesterday when I voted for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. Did I think he would win? Of course not. But I am truly sick of the Republicratic system where I must repeatedly choose the lesser of two evils. Sure, they talk different talk, but once elected, they walk the same walk: more power to the state, less for the individual. I refuse to play their game.

But although I cast my vote for Gary Johnson, it went to Barack Obama. All of New Jersey’s individual votes, whether for Obama or Romney or Johnson or any other candidate, were lumped into 14 Electoral votes, all of which went into the Obama column. And electoral votes decide the winner. (Had I been voting in Texas, my Gary Johnson vote would have wound up in Romney’s pocket – same problem.)

The upshot: My vote didn’t count.

It didn’t get to Gary Johnson as I intended. Yes, it will wind up in a popular vote tally somewhere, but so what? My vote was rendered meaningless by the Electoral College system.

I can’t say this often enough, because this is personal and it infuriates me: I did not vote for Obama, yet that’s where my vote went. I might as well have left the PRESIDENT line on the ballot blank. I do not want to be part of a collective. One person, one vote – remember? I was not heard yesterday.

You can say, Well, Obama won the popular vote as well. So what? I don’t care. That’s not the point. You’re not listening: The popular vote is meaningless as long as the Electoral College calls the shots.

We have the technology for a popular vote. Next election, let the states submit the unique votes of the individuals who voted – not the collective – directly to the candidates. This might well result in people taking a closer look at alternatives to the Republicrats.

You may not want to be heard. I do.

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - JoeyDVDZ - 11-07-2012

My god yes. The technology for secure voting is in place, and easily accessible by anyone, anywhere. Enough with this electoral college garbage already; let's let every single voice be heard.

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - Rconnelly - 11-07-2012

There is a great video by C.G.P. Grey on Youtube about the Electoral College and why it's inherently unfair to large states (i.e. A vote in Wyoming is worth 3 votes Texas). It also does not "protect small states" as many proponents argue.

For those who wish to learn more watch this short, well produced video. Its insightful and entertaining.

[video=youtube;7wC42HgLA4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k&feature=plcp[/video]

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - cobalt - 11-07-2012

Where's the "like" button?

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - jlms - 11-07-2012

http://vermontrepublic.org/ Ahem, just sayin....

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - t4terrific - 11-07-2012

fpw Wrote:We have the technology for a popular vote. Next election, let the states submit the unique votes of the individuals who voted – not the collective – directly to the candidates. This might well result in people taking a closer look at alternatives to the Republicrats.

This is likely the real reason why the popular vote will not count. Why would the two parties in charge allow a system to be installed that will weaken their grasp?

BTW, it's nice to see a little talk of this kind on your forum again.

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - Debbie Richardson - 11-07-2012

I couldn't agree with you more. The Electoral College had its purpose at one time, but that time is well in the past. It takes the pride out of voting if I walk in knowing that my vote can so easily be negated.

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - Glaekenn - 11-07-2012

Just to clear something up, your vote didn't go to Obama, like you claim. Your vote went to this Gary character. Two million other people in your state voted for Obama, which was the popular vote in your state, which is why he won your state.

You claim you weren't heard, yet your vote was recorded in support of Gary. Obviously, he's not going to be elected and represent you if he doesn't get enough votes. I'm not sure what you would like to change about that. Your vote did not count towards Obama in any way, the two million other people simply made your vote moot.

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - Brian - 11-07-2012

The Electoral College is obsolete, but serves the government's purposes. It will be a true battle to repeal it.

Dude, Where’s My Vote? - Dave618 - 11-07-2012

I agree the Electoral College should go. But for that to happen people would have to seriously rally against the two-party system this country seems to be in love with. I hate both parties, and consider them two tentacles from the same Octopus--different limbs but same brain.