RepairmanJack.com Forums
Rakosh Envy - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Rakosh Envy (/thread-4539.html)

Pages: 1 2

Rakosh Envy - cobalt - 01-09-2012

I'm reading the newest Koontz book...77 Shadow Street when lo and behold....Koontz has a creature called a rakshasa as one of it's monsters. It's huge...7 feet tall, 6 fingered and toed....and gray. It's head is bullet shaped and it has lots of teeth and long claws.

I thought I should point this out.....immitation is flattery...right?

Rakosh Envy - Alvin Fox - 01-09-2012

Or it's an amalgamation of descriptions of the various Rakshasa's in Hindu and Buddhist lore.

Rakosh Envy - A-dono - 01-09-2012

Finished 77 Shadow Street recently myself, and yeah, I forgot about that.

Rakosh Envy - madh0us3 - 01-15-2012

Legends of "Rakshasa" have been around for centuries. Mostly, I believe, in Hindu and Buddhist lore. I've also heard that in Malaysia, their word for "monster" is a very close derivative of the word.

That's the old pen-and-paper Dungeons & Dragons geek I keep inside. Sometimes he sees something familiar and reminisces the days when I let him have full reign. He clamors, and I must let him out for a few minutes so he doesn't soil the carpet.

Anyway, that's kind of interesting. Koontz seems to have an interest in Hindu lore - I know one of his Odd Thomas books focused heavily on their death god, Kali.

Rakosh Envy - Srem - 01-16-2012

Coincidentally, I just noticed 77 Shadow Street in the store today. Compared to most of Koontz's other stuff, would you folks say it's good?

Rakosh Envy - cobalt - 01-16-2012

Srem Wrote:Coincidentally, I just noticed 77 Shadow Street in the store today. Compared to most of Koontz's other stuff, would you folks say it's good?

I finished it the other day. For once....Koontz actually ended the book well. Sometimes he leaves you hanging.....this time he didn't.

It was good. Creepy in parts and it kept you interested.

Rakosh Envy - A-dono - 01-16-2012

Srem Wrote:Coincidentally, I just noticed 77 Shadow Street in the store today. Compared to most of Koontz's other stuff, would you folks say it's good?

Personally, while I thought the story was based on a good, solid idea, I felt it was executed poorly. The large cast of two-dimensional straw-characters and the over-saturation of metaphors and imagery made it a challenge to get through.

I'm really glad his next release will be a new Odd Thomas.

Rakosh Envy - madh0us3 - 01-23-2012

A-dono Wrote:I'm really glad his next release will be a new Odd Thomas.

Really? That's cool, I've been waiting for the next one. I love the series except for the repeated retelling of the back story in every book. I really wish he wouldn't do that. That's one thing I'm very grateful for in the RJ books - FPW doesn't feel the need to summarize the back story in every new book that comes out.

Rakosh Envy - quikfix228 - 01-31-2012

i agree. i love odd thomas as well but i have a feeling i would not beable to read any of koontz's other books. too many detailed descriptions about everything for me. but odd is an awesome character. me and my dad just had a discussion on what itd be like for jack and odd to hang out. no one is as cool as jack tho...NO ONE.

Rakosh Envy - Alaric88 - 02-02-2012

lightning, fear nothing, and seize the night were really good